Sage is a beautiful, flavorful herb that makes many appearances during the month of November.
From sage in dressing to sage with butternut squash, this herb adds complexity and flavor to many of our favorite fall dishes.
Yet, sage can also stand on its own.
I'd never heard of or thought of fried sage leaves before — until this year when I managed to grow almost nothing successfully except sage. Ha! One of my friends passed by my huge sage plants and casually commented, “That sage is really nice. You should fry it.”
Sure enough, fried sage is a real thing!
As the temperatures here in northern Minnesota began to creep downward, I didn't want to risk losing my gorgeous sage to a frost, so I clipped a bunch one afternoon and fried it right up (in bacon fat, of course). 😉
Boy, can sage ever stand on its own…
Fried Sage Leaves
Sage is a beautiful, flavorful herb that makes many appearances during the month of November. Sure enough, fried sage is a real thing!
- 30 to 40 sage leaves
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fat (I used bacon fat)
- sea salt
- Clip the sage leaves from the stems.
- Prepare a plate with a paper towel or newspaper to have ready to drain fried sage.
- Have a pair of tongs ready as well.
- Heat fat in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Drop the sage leaves into the hot fat and stay close!
- It only takes 5 to 7 seconds for the leaves to fry.
- Remove fried sage from the skillet and place on the prepared plate.
- Sprinkle with salt immediately.
- Work in batches until you've fried all your sage.
- Add additional fat, if needed.
- Enjoy! See below for ideas on how to use.
Courses Appetizer, Garnish, Snack
Ways To Use Fried Sage Leaves
- As an appetizer
- As a garnish for soup or blended soup
- Add them to a salad
- Serve with your turkey dressing or atop giblet gravy
- Snack on them straight from the skillet!
Would you ever try fried sage leaves?
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!