Apple Oat Casserole

I have been making this for dessert off and on ever since my friend Vickilynn Haycraft found the recipe and tweaked it a bit. I usually do some tweaking of my own on it. ;) We have it warm as a treat or snack. Pour some milk over the leftovers for a yummy breakfast.

Apple Oat Casserole

• 2 cups rolled oats (preferably soaked and then dehydrated — pre-soaked oats)
  • 1 cup raisins or chopped dates
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut (optional)
  • 2 small apples, grated or 1 jar of unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 1/2 cups nut milk
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds or other chopped nuts (preferably soaked and dehydrated)
  • cinnamon

Measurements may vary depending on size of casserole dish.

In an 8″ x 8″ baking dish, sprinkle 1/3 of the oats on the bottom of dish. Next, layer 1/2 of the raisins, 1/2 of the coconut, another 1/3 of the oats, and all of the apples (or applesauce), and top with cinnamon. Continue by adding the rest of the raisins, oats, coconut, and cinnamon. Top with the almonds and sprinkle with cinnamon. Pour on all of the milk. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Weekly meal plans for you and your family*
  • Access to 8 online classes

*included in premium membership

Comments

1. Gramma says

Yum — This sounds deliciious, Wardee. I guess you will have to fix it when we come up to see you in April. :-)

I know you are busy but if you get a moment, please post the kids in their new haircuts. I would love to see them. They were so precious on the phone last week.

Enjoy your Mom and Dad. I am praying it will be a good time for all of you.

God’s Blessings Always — and my love too!

Geneva,

What a coincidence! A friend just gave me some red palm oil to try out. It is *supposed* to be one of the few oils that doesn’t turn toxic (not sure what that means) when heated. Like for frying.

I have only used the red palm oil twice and both times were when I was reheating rice in a cast iron skillet. I added a couple of tablespoons to keep the rice from sticking.

With quinoa, you could cook up the quinoa and then reheat it in a skillet, along with sauteed onions or other veggies. Saute the veggies in the palm oil and then add the quinoa and seasonings.

You can use whatever milk you’d like in the apple oat casserole. You can even use juice. It just needs some liquid for the oats to absorb.

Yummmmmm! We have all of those ingredients except for the soy or nut milk. But, like you said, I could use something else. We had your recipe of Decadent and Hearty Oatmeal this past Saturday and Sunday. Very yummy! :mrgeen:

4. cheryl Reynon says

Hi! Just curious to know if you have altered the recipe now that you are following Nurishing Traditions and soaking your grains. Thanks! Can’t wait to give it a try.

Cheryl – I haven’t, but what a good idea! I’d forgotten about this recipe. ;)

Here’s what I would do now. I would combine all the oats with the milk and also add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, Kombucha, kefir, or yogurt. I’d let that sit, covered, for at least 8 hours.

Then use 1/3 of that a time and layer as the directions say. You wouldn’t be pouring the milk over all of it this time.

And the nuts would be the NT crispy nuts – soaked, then dehydrated, then chopped.

I hope it won’t end up dry, but I can’t think why. The applesauce would add moisture and the oats will still be plenty wet after soaking.

Have fun! Please let me know how it goes. :)

6. Jenny says

I tried the soaked version this morning and it is excellent. I love being able to have soaked oatmeal without having to watch the pot and deal with the burnt bottom that inevitably happens when I cook the soaked oatmeal. Thanks for sharing!

Miriam — No! I just removed the reference from the post. When we drank soy milk, I made my own, so that was better than store-bought. However, soy is best fermented. Which you probably know or you wouldn’t have asked! ;)