I have been making this for dessert off and on ever since my friend Vickilynn Haycraft found the recipe and tweaked it a bit. I usually do some tweaking of my own on it. We have it warm as a treat or snack. Pour some milk over the leftovers for a yummy breakfast.
Apple Oat Casserole
- 2 cups rolled oats (preferably soaked and then dehydrated — pre-soaked oats)
- 1 cup raisins or chopped dates
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut (optional)
- 2 small apples, grated or 1 jar of unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/2 cups nut milk
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds or other chopped nuts (preferably soaked and dehydrated)
Measurements may vary depending on size of casserole dish.
In an 8″ x 8″ baking dish, sprinkle 1/3 of the oats on the bottom of dish. Next, layer 1/2 of the raisins, 1/2 of the coconut, another 1/3 of the oats, and all of the apples (or applesauce), and top with cinnamon. Continue by adding the rest of the raisins, oats, coconut, and cinnamon. Top with the almonds and sprinkle with cinnamon. Pour on all of the milk. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting GNOWFGLINS with your purchases.
Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!
Provide your family with healthy, delicious, nourishing meals! As a member, you get:
- 100s of videos in bite-size pieces
- Weekly meal plans for you and your family
- Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes
- Exclusive recipes
- and more!