My family was astounded to discover that they liked this potato salad…
Why would they be astounded?
Because they don't like kefir! (Don't worry, I know they'll come around some day.) 😉
Yet in the meantime, this Probiotic Potato Salad packs a nutritious punch, and picky eaters are none the wiser. 😉 If you use my homemade seasoning salt, you’ll be adding the superfood kelp to your diet, a wonderful source of minerals.
Probiotic Potato Salad
- about 1 cup plain kefir or plain yogurt
- homemade herb seasoning salt
- a dozen medium-size red potatoes, preferably organic or naturally-grown
- half to whole medium sized onion, preferably organic or naturally-grown
- 2 stalks celery, preferably organic or naturally-grown
- 4 pastured eggs (optional)
- diced olives (optional)
- pickle juice or lemon juice
- additional herbs: parsley or dill (fresh or dried, preferably organic or naturally-grown)
- additional sea salt or garlic
Season kefir (or yogurt) to taste by slowly whisking in homemade herb seasoning salt (or Herbamare). Whisk in 1 tablespoon of pickle juice or lemon juice at a time to the herbed kefir. Think thin salad dressing consistency. Chill. Any leftovers make a great dip for veggies!
Then, in salty water, boil (or roast) 12 medium potatoes until soft. I don't bother skinning them. The skin scrapes off easily when cooked if desired. Drain and cool. If you wish, hard boil eggs as well. Peel and cool.
Once cooled, dice potatoes and eggs. Combine in a mixing bowl. Chop onions, celery, olives, and any other veggies. Add to the bowl. Add herbed kefir dressing and toss lightly. Don't mash the potatoes or eggs! Add other ingredients to taste — such as parsley, dill, garlic, and salt.
Chill until ready to serve. Wait at least 2 hours so flavors have time to mingle. Enjoy!
Does your family like kefir? Do you think they will enjoy this Probiotic Potato Salad?
This post was featured in 60 Easy and Nourishing Picnic Recipes.
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).