Is there anything as cooling as chocolate mint ice cream on a hot summer’s day?
This refreshing dairy-free chocolate mint ice cream with essential oils is free of eggs and refined sugar, too. Yet still full of mint flavor, thanks to peppermint essential oil.
And the gorgeous green color? That's due to spinach. Shhh… don’t tell! 😉
Finally, normal chocolate chips get hard and crunchy when frozen, yet these chocolate chips melt in your mouth. How? They are created by melting chocolate with coconut oil. Then the mixture is drizzled into the ice cream during the last minutes of churning. It's definitely worth the effort!
Dairy-Free Chocolate Mint Ice Cream
This refreshing dairy-free chocolate mint ice cream with essential oils is free of eggs and refined sugar, too. Yet still full of mint flavor, thanks to peppermint essential oil. The gorgeous green color? That's due to spinach! Shhh... don’t tell! 😉 Makes 4 cups (1 quart).
For the mint ice cream:
- (2) 13.5-ounce cans full-fat coconut milk
- 1 handful of baby spinach
- 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 drops peppermint essential oil or 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
For the chocolate chunks:
To make the mint ice cream:
- Blend coconut milk and spinach until smooth.
- Then pour all but 1/4 cup of the mixture into a pot and heat over medium heat.
- Combine the reserved 1/4 cup with arrowroot powder.
- Next, whisk until completely dissolved.
- Pour into the warm milk and whisk to combine.
- Continue to whisk until mixture thickens. With arrowroot, this happens right as it starts to boil.
- Then remove from heat.
- Whisk in the remaining ingredients.
- Next, let cool for a few hours in the fridge.
- When cold, churn according to the directions for your ice cream maker.
- Finally, once ice cream is churned and chocolate is drizzled in, remove ice cream from the ice cream maker and freeze until firm.
To make the chocolate chunks:
- In a double broiler, or a bowl over a pan of simmering water, melt the chocolate.
- Then stir in coconut oil until melted and combined.
- Add honey, if using unsweetened chocolate.
- Let cool but don't allow to harden.
- Finally, in the last few minutes of churning, drizzle chocolate into the ice cream. It will freeze and create little chocolate chunks throughout.
*I prefer to melt an unsweetened chocolate bar. That way I am not only in control of how much sweetness, but also what kind of sweetener. For a bitter chocolate, add 1/2 tablespoon honey. Or for a semi-sweet, add the full 1 tablespoon.*For a fresh mint twist, add a small handful of fresh mint into the blender with the spinach and coconut milk.*Or, add a heaping tablespoon of dried mint (or a handful of fresh mint) to the warm coconut milk. Let steep for at least 20 minutes. Strain out the mint, and continue with the recipe as written -- except with a Steeped Mint Chocolate Ice Cream!*Don’t have peppermint essential oil? Add 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract. Or, use either of the variations above.
Have you ever made ice cream with essential oils? What's your favorite ice cream flavor to beat the summer heat?
This post was featured in 27 Recipes With Essential Oils and 92 Nourishing Grill & Barbecue Dishes, Drinks, & Desserts.
Disclaimer: At Traditional Cooking School, we recommend using only pure, therapeutic grade essential oils and those generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the Food and Drug Administration. The information provided by this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only. This post or the essential oils mentioned therein are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult a qualified aromatherapist when using essential oils for any purpose. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using these products.
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!