It's hard to find a delicious, healthy, sprouted gluten-free sandwich bread, isn't it?
Especially when you want it to be nutrient-dense, made with whole-grain flour, and without eggs and dairy. Oh, and no xanthan gum, either!
Well, look no further!
This sprouted gluten-free sandwich bread has that warm, yeasty smell and taste that you expect from homemade bread. Sprouted grains increase both nutrition and digestibility. (Learn how to sprout grains here!)
Although it doesn’t rise as high as a traditional loaf, or a gluten-free loaf made with eggs, it does get enough height to make a decent slice of bread!
Now, let's bake!
Sprouted Gluten-Free Bread (no eggs, dairy, or xanthan gum!)
This nutrient-dense, sprouted whole-grain flour bread has that warm yeasty smell and good taste that you expect from homemade bread. No eggs, dairy, or xanthan gum!Makes 1 loaf.
- 2 cups warm water (105 to 110 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast (1 package)
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup + additional 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup sprouted brown rice flour
- 1 cup sprouted sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup sprouted millet flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup ground chia seeds
- 1/4 cup psyllium seed husk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Line a loaf pan* with parchment paper, so that the parchment extends about 1 inch above the sides of the pan. This will help the bread to keep its shape as it rises.
- Lightly grease the parchment with olive oil.
- Combine warm water, yeast, and 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup. Set aside for 5 to 10 minutes until bubbly.
- In a separate bowl, combine brown rice flour, sorghum flour, millet flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Once yeast mixture has become foamy, stir in olive oil, additional honey or maple syrup, ground chia seed, and psyllium husk. Let sit for 2 to 3 minutes to allow the chia seed and the psyllium to thicken.
- Whisk in vinegar.
- Then whisk this mixture into dry ingredients. Continue mixing batter with a wooden spoon until all of the flour is incorporated. The dough will be wet with a consistency similar to a quick bread.
- Spoon into prepared pan and use the back of a spoon to shape into loaf.
- Cover with a cloth and let rise in warm place for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once bread has risen about 1 inch over the sides of the pan, place in preheated oven and bake for 60 minutes.
- When done, the bread should sound hollow when gently tapped on the bottom.
- Cool bread on a wire rack. Do not slice until completely cool.
- This bread is best eaten the day it is made, or frozen in slices and thawed as needed. It can be kept on the counter in a sealed container for a few days, but it will lose moisture and be best eaten toasted.
*An 8.75 x 4.75-inch pan is my favorite for this recipe. A slightly smaller or larger pan may be used, however, but will change the shape of the bread.
To get parchment paper to sit better in the loaf pan, try lightly greasing the pan itself before placing the parchment, and snipping down from the corners to the bottom of the pan. The parchment MUST extend over the top of the pan so that the bread will hold its shape as it rises.
Next, use your oven with the light on as a warm place for the bread to rise. Place a 9 x 13-inch pan filled with hot water on the lowest rack. Place the bread on the middle rack, over the pan of hot water. Then, cover the bread with a towel and leave to rise. When it’s time to turn the oven on, remove the bread and the pan of water and allow the bread to finish rising on the counter.
Furthermore, if you want to substitute flours, this substitution chart may be helpful in choosing flours that are of similar weight and consistency.
Finally, if you can’t find sprouted flour, try making your own!
Have you ever made sprouted gluten-free sandwich bread?
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!