I can eat ice cream… anytime, anywhere, and in any weather!
Who's with me?!
And yet, what if the craving strikes when you're out enjoying nature this summer, completely off-grid? Are you out of luck?
Not with this simple method! You can make your own ice cream that will do more than refresh you on a hot day. It will make your gut happy with probiotics, too!
I knew there was a reason I love ice cream so much — especially this Lime Kefir Ice Cream with Fermented Blueberry Sauce. 😉
If you have kiddoes, enlist their help, because they'll have a blast making this ice cream. In other words, no machine needed — they'll do all the churning!
Plan Ahead For The Fermented Blueberry Sauce
While fermenting blueberries is simple, it does take time. In very warm weather, plan on 12 hours. If you're going on a camping trip and want to take this along for topping ice cream, mixing into yogurt, or spreading as the J in your PB&J, make it before you go.
If you have a long drive, simply ferment it on the way (be sure to secure the jar for the ride). When you arrive, use a mortar and pestle to puree the berries without a blender. The juice will settle eventually so give it a good shake or stir before serving.
How To Make Probiotic Kefir Ice Cream In Under 10 Minutes
- 2 pints fresh blueberries, washed and mashed well
- ¼ cup coconut syrup or maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons whey
- To a sterilized quart jar, add blueberries, coconut syrup, and whey. Mix well.
- Tightly cover and leave at room temperature for 24 to 48 hours.
- When berries are fermented to taste, puree in a blender. Or, use a mortar and pestle.
- Stir or shake before serving as the juice will separate over time.
- In a quart-sized freezer bag, combine kefir, coconut syrup, vanilla, MCT oil, lime juice, lime zest, and sea salt.
- Seal the bag -- well!
- In a gallon-sized freezer bag, add a layer of crushed ice and ½ cup iodized salt.
- Put the quart bag with the ice cream mixture into the gallon bag.
- Add another layer of ice and the remaining salt on top.
- Seal the bag well and shake, shake, shake for 7 to 10 minutes until you achieve your desired texture. (Get your kids to help!) You may want to use oven mitts or wrap the bag in a towel.
- Top with fermented blueberry sauce and enjoy! It's best eaten right away as it will freeze pretty hard in the freezer.
Have you ever made kefir ice cream? How about ice cream without electricity?
This post was featured in 92 Nourishing Grill & Barbecue Dishes, Drinks, & Desserts.
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!