Isn't there something magical about pudding cups?
You open the lid to find a perfect, personal-size container of sweet and creamy deliciousness.
Even as an adult, I have a weakness for pudding cups! And my kids love them too… especially when I tuck one into their school lunches.
Since I'm a momma who knows the importance of packing a lot of nutrition into small servings, these mini Instant Pot lemon pudding cups allow me to do just that. Plus, they only take about 10 minutes to whip up (plus a bit of cooling time).
In 1 serving, my kids are getting healthy fats, lauric acid, pastured eggs, digestion-friendly lemon, and a teensy bit of natural sweetener. But to them? It's just a special dessert.
Instant Pot Lemon Pudding Cups
It never occurred to me to employ my Instant Pot for pudding since I usually make these raw No-Jello Chocolate Pudding Cups (which aren't actually pudding at all but a sneaky way to get picky eaters to devour avocado!). Sometimes we tire of the same chocolate pudding over and over, so once again, it's the Instant Pot to the rescue!
These Instant Pot lemon pudding cups cook right in their serving jars — no need to transfer or dirty more dishes. Once they're set, simply put them into a lunchbox, pack them in a picnic basket, or toss one into your purse for a quick snack on the go!
And Now… For The Recipe!
- 3 cups milk or dairy-free milk of choice, room temperature (I used full fat coconut milk)
- ¼ cup lemon juice, room temperature (2 large lemons)
- 1½ tablespoons lemon zest (2 large lemons)
- ½ cup maple syrup or honey
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, room temperature
- 3 pastured eggs, room temperature
- 2 to 4 drops lemon essential oil (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sustainably sourced gelatin
- Add milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, sweetener, coconut oil, and eggs to a blender.
- Blend on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Add lemon essential oil for more lemon flavor or a touch more sweetener if desired.
- Blend again.
- While the blender is running, remove the venting lid and add the gelatin, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Continue blending until smooth.
- Pour the pudding mixture into 7 (1/2 pint) glass jars.
- Secure a lid on each jar.
- Add trivet and 1 cup water to insert pot of pressure cooker.
- Place all 7 jars onto the trivet. In my 8-quart Instant Pot, they fit perfectly in a single layer.
- Secure lid of cooker and close the valve.
- If using an electric cooker, cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. With a stovetop cooker, bring to high pressure and maintain for cook time of 5 minutes.
- Manually release pressure.
- Carefully remove the jars with a pair of tongs or your hands and a hot pad.
- Set them aside to cool.
- Once you can comfortably touch the jars, transfer them to the fridge to set.
- You may notice separation. Simply give the jars a shake or two while they're cooling in the fridge to redistribute the ingredients.
- jar = 1 serving. Top with garnishes like berries, toasted coconut, or whipped coconut cream.
I used my 8-quart Instant Pot in this recipe, and the 7 (1/2 pint) glass jars fit perfectly in a single layer on the trivet. If you have a smaller pressure cooker, cook the jars in batches.
Cooking these with the lids secured serves 2 purposes. First, if you need to stack the jars for any reason, you can stack them on top of one another. Second, the lids keep water out of the pudding cups.
Pressure cooking the pudding cups with their lids on will cause them to seal, like canning. Do not store these on a shelf, however. They are not safely canned!
Because the lids seal, you may want to loosen them before packing into a small child's lunch.
If you notice separation during cooling, that's okay. Simply give the jars a shake or two while they're cooling in the fridge.
Have you made pudding in your Instant Pot yet? Will you try these the next time you're packing lunches or planning a picnic?
This post was featured in 22 Real Food Instant Pot Desserts, 60 Easy and Nourishing Picnic Recipes and 31 Lunchbox Recipes & Tips For Packing A Nourishing Lunch.
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!