Instant Strawberry Ice Cream

Instant Strawberry Ice Cream | Want ice cream but you didn't plan ahead and get it going? Just too busy? No ice cream maker? I've got the answer -- and it's done in an instant. As in a minute or so! | GNOWFGLINS.com

Want ice cream but you didn’t plan ahead and get it going? Just too busy? No ice cream maker? I’ve got the answer — and it’s done in an instant. As in a minute or so!

You need 3 things: frozen fruit, liquid, and a high-powered blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec. It’s possible this can be done in a food processor or a lower end blender, too.

The idea behind this is to use as little liquid as possible to facilitate blending the frozen fruit in the blender. Your result will be soft serve and delicious ice cream!

Play around with the amounts to suit your preferences and of course, the appliance you’re using. An appliance with less power will need more liquid and the results may be more like a smoothie than ice cream (but still delicious).

Though I’m sharing strawberry ice cream, you can use any berry or frozen fruit. I try to avoid using heavily seeded berries — like blackberries and raspberries. But if that’s all you’ve got, it makes delicious ice cream, too. Even with the seeds!

Instant Strawberry Ice Cream

• 1-1/2 cups cream, whole milk, kefir, or yogurt — or even water or juice for sorbet
  • 16 ounces frozen strawberries (about 3 to 4 cups) — or mixture of berries or other frozen fruit altogether
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup dry sweetener* (or to taste) — whizzed fine* separately beforehand
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Serves 4 to 5 (1-cup servings).

*You can use a liquid sweetener such as honey, just reduce the cream or milk accordingly. Dry sweeteners should be whizzed fine in a blender beforehand to create a powdered sugar texture.

Combine all ingredients in the order listed in the Vitamix or Blendtec container. Put the lid on. Start the speed on low and increase slowly as the fruit gets broken up fully and the mixture starts circulating pretty freely. When there are no longer chunks of fruit and it’s all smooth, it’s done. Serve!

Machine notes: If using the Vitamix, use the tamper while blending to help the mixture circulate. If using the Blendtec, stop and scrape sizes as needed or use the Twister jar with lid that has side scrapers built in (and a smaller batch).

Have you made instant ice cream before? What’s your favorite fruit combination?

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes

Comments

1. Nancy says

Earlier today, for lunch, I had cantaloupe and strawberry ice cream made with kefir. I hadn’t read this yet so it was nice to see I’m not the only one who considers this a yummy ice cream!!

Wardee – first want to say I love your blog and your service!
    I am a raw vegan (have been for at least half of my life)
    I make my basic “ice creem” from frozen bananas. I feed them through my 1976 vintage Champion juicer*, and, voila! soft-serve.
    I’ve tried doing straight strawberries, but they seem to need some sweetener, so I usually do a frozen banana/strawberry mix if I have strawberries
    I’ve made ice creem this way with other fruit as well, but I usually just stick to bananas.

3. tina says

We made the best dairy free dessert the other day…frozen bananas and frozen black raspberries blended in the food processor with just a touch of coconut milk…maybe two tablespoons…just to soften….it was delicious!

This looks great! I do this using coconut milk (or cream) and frozen fruit, usually mixed berries.
    I gave up sugar a couple of years ago and never used a replacement, so the fruit alone is plenty sweet enough for me.
    Nice to know it will also work with other liquids…….

5. Patt J says

I learn so much from all you gals! I just wanted to say thanks. I’m not a “prepper” as I don’t believe in it. But all these fabulous recipes, I love ‘em!! So thanks!!

6. Michelle says

I’ve been doing this since I don’t have an ice cream maker, and another alternative to frozen fruit is to freeze milk in an ice cube tray. Then you can make chocolate, vanilla, or any other flavor, too.

7. Debi says

1 frozen banana, 1 tbsp. cocoa, handful of fresh mint, 2/3 cup almond or coconut milk. Yummy chocolate mint ice cream!

I freeze goat Kefir in ice cube trays and bananas and throw them as well as chia and flax seeds! I find it a good way to sneak stuff in to children’s diet :). Strawberry banana is a favorite! With peaches and blueberries a close second! Thanks for all the great info!!!

9. Naina says

Hi Thanks for this.. so is that it? just blend and the icecream is made? or do we have to freeze it again?
    many thanks

10. jeanette says

I made this by mistake I was trying to make a fruit smoothies I had frozen bananas and a strawberry/blueberry, and black berry mixture and a some milk it was so thick I had to use a spoon YUMMY