How to Make All-Natural Mouthwash (3 Recipes)

How to Make All-Natural Mouthwash (3 Recipes) | Recently that I discovered just how easy it can be to make mouthwash. Happy discovery! It cleans teeth and gums naturally, it's inexpensive, it's made from good and simple ingredients that I recognize (no chemicals or unnatural dyes!), and it gives me peace of mind. Here are three fresh and easy mouthwash recipes. | GNOWFGLINS.com

I like mouthwash. It makes my teeth feel clean and my breath fresh. But I don’t feel comfortable buying the commercial brands. My family and I strive to use natural dental care, but it was only recently that I discovered just how easy it can be to make mouthwash.

Happy discovery! It cleans teeth and gums naturally, it’s inexpensive, it’s made from good and simple ingredients that I recognize (no chemicals or unnatural dyes!), and it gives me peace of mind.

The first mouthwash I’m sharing is a great starter recipe because it only contains two ingredients: water and cloves. Cloves are found in most grocery stores, so anyone can make it.

Simple Clove Mouthwash

A little spicy, it may not be suitable for younger children. On the plus side, it will leave your mouth feeling quite fresh.

Makes 8 ounces.

Place cloves in a heat-proof container (such as a canning jar). Pour boiling water over cloves. Cover the container with a lid or plate and leave mixture to cool. Once cool, strain out the cloves and pour the clove-infused water into a clean container. Rinse mouth with approximately 1 teaspoon of the mixture. This mouthwash will keep approximately one week.

Parsley Mint Mouthwash

Parsley and mint are helpful in killing bacteria and freshening breath. Since this recipe includes a small amount of vodka, it will last longer than the simple clove mouthwash above.

• 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
  • 2 tablespoons fresh mint
  • 1 cup distilled water
  • 1 tablespoon vodka

Makes 8 ounces. Recipe adapted from Natural Beauty at Home by Janice Cox.

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high for about 2 minutes (or until everything is mixed well). Pour through a strainer to remove any residual herbs. Pour into a clean jar and close tightly with lid. Rinse mouth with 1 tablespoon of mixture.

Salt Water Rinse

A salt water rinse is not a mouthwash per se, but it is especially helpful for healing sore gums and ridding the mouth of bacteria.

Makes 8 ounces.

Mix together the warm water and salt. Gargle and rinse with the mixture.

Making your own mouthwash is simple. It’s a great way to save money and good step in the direction of all-natural dental care. Have you made your own mouthwash? What is your favorite recipe or tip?

Do you love GNOWFGLINS?

Help us keep this site going by becoming a member! As a member, you get:

• access to 8 online classes (and counting!)
  • 100s of videos and print tutorials
  • eBook discounts
  • monthly learning bonus
  • access to exclusive forums

Comments

1. Heather says

Here’s a natural mouthwash recipe using only filtered water and essential oils. Super easy and you can use peppermint, orange, lemon, lime… no need to boil it and it stores indefinitely. 10 drops essential oil mixed with 2 cups filtered water. Put in a dark bottle to store. Shake before use.

2. MrsMeReeves says

I use either 1 drop of grapefruit seed extract or 4 Thieves blend in some water. GSE is great at fighting the smelly bacteria and 4 Thieves brightens up a dull mouth everytime!

I am curious about trying clove EO now….hmmm!?

3. Leonbience says

Really good article on natural mouthwashes, thank you. I love the Parsley Mint. Can’t wait for the mint to come up in the spring!

4. mommamaggie says

Thanks. I have a big family and pressing to do thing economically and naturally! Thanks to all who posted what they do too.

I make a curcumin mouthwash based on the specs provided in the paper published last year that showed it to be just as or more effective than icky chemical chlorhexidine mouthwash. It’s just curcumin and eugenol (clove oil) in water.

6. Kari says

i use a 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water and a few drops of peppermint! stores indefinitely and whitens and sanitizes and so much more!
    i also use a homemade toothpaste: baking soda, coconut oil, honey, sea salt, and peppermint oil.
    store in glass jar. i love this combination, works great together!

7. Cathy says

What kind of parsley would be best to use?
    Curly Leaf or Italian. I am assuming curly leaf but I will wait for the comment on the correct one!

I like mouthwash too. But those mouthwash products I have tried are either to strong or of terrible taste. I never thought making my own mouthwash can be this easy and I will definitely give it a try. Thanks!

9. Kim says

Hmmm. I make an insect repellent by soaking whole cloves in 100 proof vodka. I think I’ll try a tablespoon of that in 8 oz. of distilled water for a mouth rinse. My tooth powder is baking soda, salt, and peppermint EO, but I have tossed in both finely ground clove and finely ground cinnamon just to make a difference.

10. Joan says

I use the toothpaste formula mentioned previously. My recipe is 1 t. baking soda, 1 t. honey, 1/2 t coconut oil, 1/8 t sea salt and 1 drop spearmint oil. (I don’t like peppermint much) That makes about enough for one person for a week. I keep it in a small jar on the bathroom counter and wash the jar out every week. You could make more for a family.