We are in love with this allergy-friendly chocolate custard!
And what’s not to love about it? It’s thickened with mineral-rich and digestive-supporting gelatin (we use Great Lakes gelatin). Also, it’s allergy-friendly! You can use whatever milk you’d like, so dairy-free is an option. And it doesn’t need eggs (thanks to that gelatin). It’s arguably gluten-free even with the Dandy Blend (see their FAQs) — but this can be omitted if you are grain-free.
This recipe is a general formula. I came up with it based on the Great Lakes gelatin container and this lovely spiced caramel-apple custard at The Nourishing Gourmet. Omit the cocoa powder and increase the vanilla and you’ve got vanilla custard. I’d love to hear your flavor ideas in the comments.
From our Allergy-Free Cooking eCourse.
Serves 5 (in half pint jars).
- Whisk smooth the coconut milk.
- Pour 1 cup into a measuring cup.
- Sprinkle gelatin over the top.
- Set aside.
- Put the rest of the milk in a saucepan.
- Add honey, sea salt, vanilla, coffee substitute, and cocoa powder.
- While whisking, heat over medium heat until smooth and it just comes to a simmer.
- Remove from heat. By this time, the gelatin should be mostly dissolved into the milk, which you know because most if not all of the white crystals are gone.
- Whisk well, until it’s as smooth as you can get it.
- Add the gelatin mixture to the chocolate mixture a little at a time, while whisking constantly and quickly.
- When smooth and fully combined, pour into custard cups or half pint jars. This recipe will fill 5 half pint jars to the top or 6 half pint jars about ¾ full.
- Transfer to fridge to chill and set up.
- After an hour or so, top with shaved chocolate.
- Return to fridge to continue chilling, about 4 to 6 hours.
- To make vanilla custard: Omit cocoa powder and coffee substitute. Increase vanilla to 2 or 3 tablespoons.
Is this allergy-friendly chocolate custard headed for your dessert course any time soon?
Need help with allergy-free cooking? Learn the ins and outs of nourishing allergy-free cooking in our online class.
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!