In this episode of Know Your Food with Wardee, you'll meet Maureen Validivia, who began her real food journey after more than 10 years of worsening symptoms of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (a thyroid disease). Conventional medicine couldn't help and in fact made her worse. So she began her own healing journey using real foods, traditional food preparation methods, gluten avoidance, and finally a gut-healing diet. Today, she is feeling oh-so-much-better and has experienced 100 pound weight loss (without even trying). Auto-immune disease sufferers or those specifically with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis will find great inspiration and resources through Maureen's story and experience.
Get to know Maureen through the links and information below, and of course through this podcast. Plus… the tip of the week!
Won't play for you? Try here. Mobile or desktop users, you can hear my podcast with Stitcher, on-demand and on-the-go. (What's Stitcher?) You can also get it on iTunes or subscribe in the Podcasts app.
Tip of the Week
Shared by Katrina: One of my favorite things is to put green onions (with the root bulb on it like they sell in the store) in a jar with about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom. If you leave it there it will keep growing. I just cut off some of the green ends any time I need them and they just keep growing! I change the water and rinse them off about once a week or so they don't get moldy. They will usually last for a month or two at a time.
Want to submit a Tip of the Week? I might share it on the air! Use the contact form or send an email to contact at knowyourfoodpodcast dot com with the subject line “Tip of the Week”.
About Maureen Validivia
Maureen began her real food journey after 10 years of worsening symptoms due Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis which were not being addressed by conventional medicine. In fact, any symptoms occurring while her lab results were in “normal range”, were considered hypochondriac symptoms or anxiety attacks. Maureen shares her journey out of conventional medicine, into whole foods and now through the fine tuning of her GAPS Diet for Hashimoto’s and food intolerances through Functional Medicine and lifestyle interventions. Her blog is at My Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and from there, you can find a link to her Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group on Facebook. She enjoys living in the mountains near Yosemite National Park in Central California with her husband, Adrian and has two grown children, her son Garrett and her daughter Megan, both also diagnosed with Hashimoto’s in their adult life.
- My Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group on Facebook
- Gluten Testing Basics: What you should know before you go gluten free
- Maureen's story denying her gluten intolerance
- Functional Medicine: What is a functional medicine doctor?
- Best basic resources for minimizing or reversing Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
- Maureen's healing journey: before and after
- Taking the time to find the root cause
- Maureen's journey
- Mercury toxicity setback
- “Let's Go Gluten Free” 8 part series
- GNOWFGLINS Traditional Cooking Classes
- For the antibody tests: To do the tests without your doctor (some doctors won't do the testing because it won't change the treatment)
- This is the basic test and what usually will pick up Hashi's without having to test the other antibody possibilities
Got Questions or Comments?
I'd love to answer your questions or share your comments on the air in future episodes. Here are the guidelines:
- Share your name and where you live.
- Share your website or blog URL (if you have one).
- One question per voicemail — leave as many voicemails as you'd like.
- Keep each question brief — like 30 seconds or less, if you can.
I'm so grateful when you visit my show on iTunes and leave a rating and/or review! KnowYourFoodPodcast.com/iTunes This helps me make my podcast better and also helps others find it. Thank you! For past or current episodes, check out the Know Your Food with Wardee podcast archives.
Subscribe to My Podcast via Email
Want me to email you each time there's a new podcast? Click here to sign up.
Anything to Add?
I would love to hear from you! Do you have questions for Maureen or comments about anything shared in this episode? Like this podcast? Please help me reach others by using the share buttons at the top of this post. Thanks!
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!