Nut Butter Sourdough Cookies

Nut Butter Sourdough Cookies

I feel like passing a little message on to my husband. My husband who’s climbing a few peaks in Colorado as I type. “Would you mind shouting from one of your mountain tops that I’ve put together a few tasty and oh-so-speedy sourdough cookie recipes?” The joy of something quick and nourishing makes me want to spread the good news.

You know as I do, that this particular lifestyle requires a bit of time. Thinking ahead. Planning a few days before, or the night before or maybe the morning of with soaking, souring, sprouting, drying, fermenting. I don’t mind the time; just a part of the process.

But, I must admit, when I stumble upon something quick and simple and oh-so-now like these nut butter sourdough cookies? Bliss! In less than a half an hour I can have a tasty cookie available for all to enjoy. And since I tend to add as little sweetener to my sweets as possible (in fact, one variety uses no sugar at all!), I happily serve these up for quick breakfasts, snacks on the go, celebrations, before bed tummy fillers, and power foods on the trail.

And really, even more wonderful than all of this nourishing goodness? The giddy joy that comes from sharing them with friends and unsuspecting neighbors. Truly! Oh how my boys love to paint and color and create. Add a few tasty treats to their work of art and voila. The perfect and most delightful way to shine your Light!

Try knocking at the door of a neighbor you’ve never met and she’ll think you are selling something. (Speaking from experience here…) Share a friendly “hello”, a cheery smile, and a bit of handmade and homemade love? Well, you might very well just blow her socks off! Such fun!

Getaway Collage

Or better yet, do it stealth. Find a neighbor with a little outside table and leave your pile of goodness ready to be discovered when they come home from work or wake up in the morning. My boys get such a kick out of this.

Here’s how it goes. Together, we make our way to the target home. Get off our bikes. Run real sneaky-like down their driveway. Make the drop. And then high tail it back to our wheels for a quick get away. Memories in the making, friends!

IMG_5349

Sourdough Nut Butter Cookies

Enjoy these cookies! Use the recipes given or come up with a few of your own. Make a cup of tea or paint a picture. Settle in with a good book or take a walk around your neighborhood. However you look at it, these tasty little morsels are perfect for enjoying, sharing and Light shining!

For All Cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare cookie sheet. Combine all ingredients (see individual recipes below) in a large bowl. Decide on add-ins. Mix well. Roll and press onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 12 or so minutes. Check after 10 minutes. Allow to sit on cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack. Once completely cool, store in sealed container on the counter, refrigerator, or freezer. Enjoy!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

• 1 cup natural peanut butter or nut butter of choice
  • 1/2 cup dry unrefined sweetener of choice, to taste
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup sourdough starter
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Makes 2 dozen 1-1/2 inch cookies. Make dough as described above in “For All Cookies”. Before baking, roll or stir in unsweetened coconut. Tasty variation: Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon (or more) cayenne pepper to the batter.

Treasure in the Middle Cookies

• 1 cup natural peanut butter or nut butter of choice
  • 1/2 dry unrefined sweetener of choice, to taste
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup sourdough starter
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Makes 1 1/2 dozen 1 1/2 inch cookies. Make dough as described above in “For All Cookies”. Press dough out on cookie sheets, then use the end of a wooden spoon to make an indentation for the jam. Fill, then bake. Dark chocolate also makes for a delicious treasure in the middle. Leave plain and simply press for a delicious Peanut Butter Cookie.

Peanut Butter Date Cookies

• 1 cup natural peanut butter or nut butter of choice
  • 1 cup chopped dates
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup sourdough starter
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Makes 2 1/2 dozen 1 1/2 inch cookies. I like mixing the ingredients for this cookie in a food processor. Make dough as described above in “For All Cookies”. Consider add-ins like cacao nibs, dark chocolate bits, carob chips, or unsweetened coconut. This is our favorite variety for taking on hikes!

Got some sourdough starter sitting around? Which type of cookie will you make first? Or do you have your own variety in mind?

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes

Comments

1. Cecilia says

These look wonderful! Would it work with gluten free sourdough starter as well? If so, should xanthan gum be added and how much?
    Thanks for the ideas!

• Erin says

hi cecilia- feel free to use your gluten free sourdough, and my guess is that you don’t even need to use xanthan gum. if you give it a try, i’d love to hear how the cookies turn out! :-)

• Esther says

I made the jam cookies with my GF sourdough starter, just following the recipe exactly, and they turned out great! These are delicious! :) So excited to have a way to use up the extra starter that I often have. Thanks Erin!

• Alma says

It seems to me that the dough would be more like a batter, since there is no added flour, and all remaining ingredients are pretty much liquid. Is it really possible to roll out the dough or is it supposed to be scooped out with a spoon?

2. jayne says

I am admittedly not the smartest cook in the kitchen so I must ask:

“Roll and press” do you mean you use a ‘cookie press’ thingy for these? Or do you mean roll into a log (like the prepackaged cookie dough in the store frig) and then slice in circles and press out onto the baking sheet?

And, just so I am not seriously overlooking vital timing info on these…..these recipes are using sourdough starter: is it freshly fed? counter active? and it seems the mixing of the ingredients with the sourdough starter does not require a ‘sitting’ time….but more, mix and cook. Am I reading this right?

All these recipes are leaving me drooling right now…. so, Thanks! :-)

• Erin says

hi there jayne! great questions. roll and press in this recipe means roll them in a ball and press them down with the bottom of a glass. the starter does not need to be freshly fed or counter active. and no sitting time required. yeah for a dump, stir, and bake cookie! enjoy! :-)

• Erin says

Hi Guro- As much as I love to use coconut oil, coconut milk, and unsweetened coconut in my cooking, I have yet to play around with coconut butter! Feel free to give it a try and let me know how it goes. If the mixture seems too dry, you may need to add a bit of coconut oil, and if it ends up too wet, you could always add some cocoa powder or maybe plain coconut?

• Guro says

Tried these 2day- it worked fine with coco butter, yay! :-) Used the same recipe as your chocolate peanut butter cookies. Love it:-)

-Guro

• Erin says

Hi Guro- So glad the coconut butter cookies worked out for you, and thanks for letting me know! I’ll have to give coconut butter a try myself! :-)

• Erin says

You are welcome Adam! Let me know what you think once you give them a try. We’ve been making the date sweetened ones lately. Can’t seem to keep them in the house! :-)

Oh! I just realized (actually my observant husband pointed out) that I posted this on behalf of Erin but left the author as me. I just corrected it.

Please forgive me, everyone — you’ve been reading Erin’s lovely words and recipes today. Enjoy! :)

• Erin says

Hi there Melissa- Prepared could mean out and available because you know your cookies don’t stick, covered with parchment paper because that’s how you like it, or greased because you know it’s necessary. Enjoy! :-)

4. Emily says

Looks so simple and easy! Thanks for sharing your family’s experience and ideas to build positive relationships with a little help from a cookie or two. ;-)

• Erin says

Hi Emily- You are welcome! They are so easy… and so tasty, too! Such fun sharing treats and surprises, hellos and a bit of love. Thanks for your comment! :-)

5. Malenksha says

We eat very few sweets here but I made these tonight for the first time as a treat for the boys after a trip to the dentist (no cavities!). My husband and boys *loved* them. We have nut allergies so I used Sunbutter (sunflower seed butter) and shredded coconut and truly they were easy and wonderful. Somehow I just “had” to use two spoons in mixing everything up so both boys got to lick one (before dinner no less). These are definitely guest and potluck worthy! Definitely going to keep this recipe around for giving gifts. Thanks so much!!

• Erin says

Hi Malenksha! I’m so glad you were able to tweak the recipe to suit your needs. So great! Thanks for letting me know! :-)

These cookies are delicious! I made the ones with dates and added a few choc chips. I had a few prunes leftover from another recipe and I used those in place of some of the dates (prob 1/3 c.) with no problem or noticeable change in flavor or texture.

• Erin says

Yeah! Thanks for letting me know Sarah! Yes, I’ve used raisins in a pinch. I think subbing other dried fruits ( apricots, cherries, figs) for some of the dates would definitely make some tasty cookies!

7. Janet says

Hello Erin, I have been enjoying hearing from you here at the GNOWFGLINS blog. I fell in love with you and your family while taking the sourdough e-course. It’s great to hear from you again! Thank-you so much for the recipes. Will try these soon! I know they will be delicious as everything of yours that I have tried has been!! May God Bless & Keep You and your family!

• Erin says

Thanks so much Janet! Putting that sourdough e-course together was such fun. :-) I’d love to hear what you think of the cookies. We love them, and they are so quick with such simple ingredients. Gotta love that! Thanks for the smiles today! :-)

8. Cody says

Made the peanut butter date cookies today and added mini chocolate chips. I also subbed 1/2 cup dates with 1/4 c coconut sugar. They were so good! Thank you!

• Erin VL says

I’m so glad you enjoyed the cookies, Cody! And I’m happy to hear you played around with them a bit to make them work for you! :-)

Speaking as someone allergic to all things peanuty, this is a great idea! I made sunflower butter and turned around and made the jewel in the middle cookies! Wow! Satisfied the craving for “a little salty, a little sweet” like nothing else. I did end up adding about a 1/3 cup Spelt flour to the mix because it was a bit wet. Possibly because the nut butter was really, really fresh. Like 2 minutes old. Thanks for the great recipes!

• Erin VL says

Glad the recipe worked for you Deanna! If your dough comes out too wet again, you could always try adding a bit of cocoa or coconut. Refrigerating it for a while might also help it to hold together for you. Always helpful to have something nourishing nearby to satisfy a
      craving! Thanks for the comment! :-)

I absolutely refuse to throw away good starter so I make a lot of waffles and pancakes to give you my elderly parents to keep in their freezer for quick meals. I also make biscuits and lots of bread. But I CANNOT WAIT to make cookies. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it before!!! Thank you so much for the great looking recipes. I have no doubt they will be delicious as are all your recipes.

• Erin VL says

Hi Debbie- I’m with you on the throw-away-started thought. The last time I threw away my starter was years ago when I was in the process of making my starter in the first place! :-)
      What a great idea you have to help out your parents. Quick, easy, and nourishing breakfasts for them. Wonderful! Hope you’ve enjoyed the cookie recipes!

11. Lindsey says

I may be missing it, but I can’t see any amount listed for the unsweetened coconut mentioned in the directions for the chocolate peanut butter cookies.

• Erin VL says

Hi Lindsey- The coconut can be added “to taste.” If you roll them in it, maybe a half a cup or so. Maybe a bit more? If you stir the coconut in, I’d say about a half a cup. Unless your dough happens to be very wet, then you might want to add a bit more. The amount is really up to you.
      Hope you enjoy them! :-)

12. Angel says

As a brand new sourdough baker I’ve been wondering what I could make with that excess starter, love these ideas Erin, thanks for sharing. My personal favorite cookies to make are cranberry or blueberry with white chocolate. I can’t wait to try this!