Grain-Free Mini Cheese Pizzas

Grain-Free Mini Cheese Pizzas

We’re still mostly avoiding grains for gut and allergy issues. Yet we’re still eating pizza — thanks to this awesome cauliflower-based pizza crust.

The first time I made it, my family asked (as always) what was for dinner.

I answered, “Pizza.”
They said, “What? We thought we couldn’t have pizza?”
I said, “I’m trying something new.”
They were like, “Uh…. something new? (pause for some serious thinking and then…) What’s in the crust, Mom?”
I hemmed and hawed a little bit, but was finally honest. “Cauliflower.”
“Cauliflower?”

I know they were thinking it was not going to be very good. I mean how could it be? Doesn’t that just sound weird?

Turns out that mild-flavored cauliflower dresses and flavors up very well into a pizza crust. Quite surprisingly, if I do say so myself. (I didn’t have high hopes, either, the first time.) The flavor is actually awesome, and if you make the crusts ahead of time and let them firm up, you get a really good texture.

Now it’s one of our favorite pizza crusts! And so let me share these mini grain-free cheese pizzas with you.

Grain-Free Mini Cheese Pizzas

The Crust:

• 1 small to medium head cauliflower
  • 2 cups mozzarella or cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • extra virgin olive oil

The Topping:

• 2 cups shredded cheese (any kind you like)

Yields 10 mini pizzas.

Several hours before you need them, make the mini-pizza crusts as follows:

Cut florets off cauliflower heads. In food processor, whizz* the florets (as many as you can at a time) until the consistency of rice. Put cauliflower in stainless steel pot without anything else (no water even). Over medium heat, cook until steamed but not mushy. Remove from heat and let cool, about a half-hour. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine ?2 cups steamed cauliflower with 2 cups shredded cheese, eggs, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and sea salt. Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper. For the dough, shape into about (10) 4- to 5-inch across, 1/4-inch-thick mini pizzas on the lined baking trays. Brush with olive oil. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the crusts are browned. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature before proceeding.

*Once I forgot to whizz the cauliflower before cooking it. Instead, I steamed the florets whole and then realized my mistake. Then I thought I could make it work anyway — I let them cool, and then processed them into a rice consistency. It worked fine. This means you can actually use leftover cauliflower to make a quick crust for a quiche, casserole, or pizza.

Assemble and bake the pizzas:

Turn on the oven broiler and move a rack to near the top. Remove parchment paper from the baking trays (it is a fire hazard at this point) so the mini-crusts are directly on the baking trays. Brush each with olive oil. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Broil in oven until cheese is bubbling and browned. Serve.

These are delicious alongside grilled chicken or hamburgers. If you want to make full-size pizzas, double the crust ingredients and shape into 2 to 3 pizza crusts, bake the same way, and top as you desire.

What’s your favorite grain-free pizza recipe?

Comments

1. Karen says

Oh thanks for posting this recipe. I am also doing no grains for building my immune system for allergies etc. This is such a great idea. Can’t wait to try it. Please share
    any more recipes you create for grain free.

2. Jamie says

I want some! Maaaaaaaake it for meeeeee pleeeeeeease……
    Ok. That’s me tired after our first full day of working at picking blueberries and this looks really good……! Love you, Wardeh!

Giving this a try. I was just looking through and trying to figure out how to do this so it was great timing! Do you think these crusts could be made ahead and frozen? Or that they would turn into mush? I think I might give it a try!

I did it! I thawed it out in the oven to dry it out first, and then made the pizza as usual. It worked great! Totally freezable. And leftovers even taste great cold from the fridge. :) yum!

• Naomi Snider says

Okay Wardee or Nichole, so where it says this: “Combine ?2 cups steamed cauliflower with 2 cups shredded cheese” – how much cauliflower did you use? Did you just guess at it and use all the entire head?

Naomi — It depends on the size of cauli. A small-medium head should give you 2 cups steamed. What I usually do is steam a few heads, and then I keep the leftover for cauliflower “rice”. Or make extra pizza crusts depending on how much cauli it is.

4. halina says

…only thing I change is not use olive oil with cooking-baking (palm, grape seed, coconut or sesame are better/safer choices-I think)..long ago I learned OO’s (Olive Oil) molecular structure changes with heat application and produces harmful toxins… I use lots of Olive oil just after the fact because it does have excellent nutrient properties if used properly. luv this recipe and sprinkle with nutritional yeast on occasion. Delish! Thank you.

Does this crust get crispy? I made a cauliflower pizza crust once. The taste was okay – not great, but okay for grain-free. But the consistency was awful. You could pick it up – very carefully. It never got crispy or crust-like.

Rebecca — It could get crispy, I think. Definitely using a baking stone and after one side bakes, flip over to bake on the other side. Then let it cool all the way before making the pizza. I don’t think it will get crispy like crackers though.

Fantastic! I love it and can’t wait to try it! It looks so mouthwatering (if I may say) and it’s so healthy:) Thankyou for the recipe!

7. Rachael says

How do you think these would stand up to a grill? We just discovered pizza on the grill and LOVE it. But we are trying to cut out the grain. Would these hold together enough to be grilled on each side before putting the topping(s) on?

8. Laura G says

How important is broiling? Can I bake for that step instead? I turned my broiler on for the first time yesterday, and it flipped the breaker! So, I don’t think I’ll be broiling until we move again..

9. Erin says

After doing just about everything wrong, they still turned out pretty darn good! Tip based on my experience: I only had about half the cauliflower needed, but it’s hard to split an egg in half, so I added some coconut flour to dry it up a bit. I could taste it in the finished pizza, but it wasn’t bad; you could use something that has a less distinct taste.

Just wondering if you could use an egg substitute. We’re egg-free, but my little guys LOVE pizza. Maybe I’ll try it with a flax egg. Has anyone else tried this? I’ll report back with my findings. :)
    Thanks for sharing!
    <3 <3 <3

11. BettyJo Nelson says

Question? Is there something that can be used in place of eggs? I have a friend who not only has allergies to gluten but also to eggs. :(