KYF #027: Our Journey to Traditional Foods — Arizona Meetup

arizona-meetup

In this episode of Know Your Food with Wardee, you’ll hear about my family’s journey to traditional cooking via a recording of a short talk I gave at a GNOWFGLINS meetup in Phoenix, Arizona on March 24, 2013.  Plus you’ll hear how my trip went — including the hardest thing about it (which will surprise you!) and how thankful I was for a fridge full of home cooking.

Below in the comments, please share how you came to learn about traditional foods and what you’ve experienced as a result.

If you have any questions about what I shared, ask below in the comments!

Play

Won’t play for you? Try here.

Mobile or desktop users, you can hear my podcast with Stitcher, on-demand and on-the-go. (What’s Stitcher?) You can also get it on iTunes or subscribe in the Podcasts app.

Links Mentioned

What’s Coming Up!

"Get Your Fats Straight" by Sarah Pope

Next week on my podcast, my guest is Sarah Pope, The Healthy Home Economist. We’re talking about her new book, Get Your Fats Straight. Please come on back for that — it’s a good one!

Got Questions or Comments?

I’d love to answer your questions or share your comments on the air in future episodes. Here are the guidelines:

1. Share your name and where you live.
  2. Share your website or blog URL (if you have one).
  3. One question per voicemail — leave as many voicemails as you’d like.
  4. Keep each question brief — like 30 seconds or less, if you can.

When you’re ready, click the button below to record your message.

If the button doesn’t work for you, visit this page to leave a voicemail. Or, want to use the telephone instead? Call 1-541-236-2330 to leave a voicemail with your question or comment. Or, you can contact me.

iTunes

I’d be grateful if you’d visit my podcast on iTunes and leave a rating and/or review. KnowYourFoodPodcast.com/iTunes or gnowfglins.com/iTunes This helps me make my podcast better and also helps others find it. Thank you!

For past or current episodes, check out the Know Your Food with Wardee podcast archives.

Want me to email you each time there’s a new podcast? Click here to sign up.

Anything to Add?

I would love to hear from you! Do you have comments or questions about what you heard in this episode? Please share below — including your story of how you came to learn about traditional foods and what you’ve experienced as a result.

Like this podcast? Please help me reach others by using the share buttons at the top of this post. Thanks!

Comments

1. Laura Cherry says

Even though you have probably heard my story already recently, I’ll repeat myself – but this will be the last time, I promise! ;) My journey into the traditional cooking world began just recently. Very recently. I ran into a YouTube video of yours (Wardeh) about three weeks ago. It was the “divvying up the morning milk” video – it led me to other videos of yours, which in turn led me to your website, and tada!! My eyes were opened!! I have a 2-year-old son who suffers from eczema, and my husband has suffered from intestinal distress (runs in the family – Barrett’s Syndrome, chronic heartburn, cramping, etc) for many years. We made the switch to natural soaps and cleaners about a year ago. However, I had absolutely no knowledge of traditional food preparation – even though I knew about whole foods and that they would be beneficial for our family. The time has come and we’re taking the plunge!! I am so excited to see how it’s going to help us! I feel God’s hand in this new knowledge and I know we are in for a wonderful adventure!!

I learned about traditional cooking methods from you, Wardeh, and your website! You have blessed so many people with your knowledge and expertise. :) However, whole foodies can still become pre-diabetic, which I now am. So I have learned to stay away from most carbs and bread products. No more organic evaporated cane juice sugar, organic maple syrup, or whole wheat flour in our home, sadly. But we are still using a lot of the information on your website, and we love reading through your posts. Due to alternating healthy carbs and healthy fats, we are now losing weight as a family, which was needed. I really enjoy looking around on your website, and your classes are very thorough!

I hate wearing shoes too Wardee! Made me laugh.
    I read Nourishing Traditions in 2008 or 2009 when I mentioned to someone that I was so tired of getting sinus infections which led to antibiotics. I said I was avoiding dairy and she said I should drink raw milk – which we started doing. We moved from Kansas to Kentucky the end of 2009 and were just adjusting to the move but I finally found a raw milk source last year and found you last summer – 2012 – I think through Prairie Homestead. I have been vegan, and vegetarian in the past too and I am a scientist so there needs to be research behind anything I read. The traditional foods “model” just makes so much sense – it is not meat or dairy or grains that are bad for us, but their preparation. The last thing I should mention is I have not had a sinus infection since I started this. So I haven’t had antibiotics in a few years either. You have been a blessing to our family – I watch and rewatch your videos several times a week. Would love to meet you some day!

4. Cheyenne says

Oh, I’m so glad for this post! I wanted to go to the meet up so badly and The Farm is one of my favorite places alas, I couldn’t this time.

5. Leah says

I grew up with a mom who tried to cook fairly healthfully (ww flour, etc.), but it wasn’t until someone gave me a copy of Nourishing Traditions as a wedding gift ten years ago that I really began my foray into real food. It’s been a process, and we still don’t eat perfectly, but I am finally at a point where much of the soaking, sprouting, fermenting, etc. has become a part of my daily routine and I don’t even have to think about it much. And I was thrilled a few weeks ago to discover that my kids no longer like fast food! That twenty dollars at Burger King was the best wasted money ever. Lol.

6. Wyatt says

Keep up the God work, Harmons! I just ran across this article about new RNA discoveries; it highlights the unknowns that are haphazardly being tweaked with GMOs.

We’re so grateful for you and hope you enjoy your time in AZ.
    -Wyatt

7. Alexis says

I discovered real foods when my daughter was ready to start eating solids. She had been breastfed exclusively but was getting to that age where she supposed to eat solids (according to baby books). My husband is vegetarian so I was trying to decide if our baby would be raised vegetarian (easier since I only have to cook one version of each meal) or if she would eat meat like mama. I started researching online the best foods for baby and stumbled onto real food bloggers and was blown away. The info just resonated with me, especially the info about real fats. I made changes immediately and we have not looked back. I also discovered baby led weaning which worked marvelously for us. I am still trying to convince my husband to abandon his veg lifestyle but so far he is not game. He has agreed to take green pastures cod liver oil and butter oil so those are huge victories in my opinion. He also embraced or Berkey, feeds my sour dough starter, loves kefir and kombucha, and is my dehydrating buddy. Seems like there is always more to learn and change. It is truly a journey.