In this episode of Know Your Food with Wardee, you’re in for a round table event as I and three special guests discuss dairy industry breaking news.
The dairy industry petitioned the FDA to add chemical sweeteners to a host of milk products, starting with flavored milks in schools — without adding nutrient content claims such as “reduced calorie” to the front of the carton.
The dairy industry claims that visible nutrient content claims make children less likely to choose the milk products, and that removing the nutrient content claims will lead to more healthful eating practices and promote honest and fair dealings in the market.
Let me ask you…
Does removing the nutrient content claims sound honest to you??
Do you think that hiding toxic artificial sweeteners in flavored milk drinks will lead to more healthful eating practices??
I thought not.
My guests say no as well.
Joining me (!!!) in this episode:
- Sally Fallon Morell, president and founder of the Weston A. Price Foundation and author of Nourishing Traditions
- Kimberly Hartke, Weston A. Price Foundation publicist and blogger at Hartke is Online!
- Cathy Raymond, Outreach and Marketing Director for Weston A. Price Foundation and the Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund
You’re going to love listening to these ladies. They are kind and caring, and best of all — they know their stuff.
Give a Listen — This One’s Important!
Won’t play for you? Try here.
In this episode, Sally, Kimberly, and Cathy shared resources and links. Here they are.
- Dairy Industry Petitions FDA — action alert at WAPF website
- Nutrition Non-Profit Leads Protest of Dairy Adulteration Proposal — WAPF press release
- Online Petition to speak out against this move — currently 108K+ signatures!
- The actual dairy industry’s petition — at the Federal Register
- Dairy Industry Claims “Low Calorie” Milks Are Not Attractive to Children — Kimberly’s blog
- Sugar-Free Blues: Everything You Wanted to Know About Artificial Sweeteners — WAPF website article
- Sugar Blues — book by William Dufty
- FDA to Allow Unlabeled Use of Aspartame in Dairy Products — Dr. Mercola
- DL Dewey aspartame resources
- Got Milk? — Facebook group (let’s flood this page!)
- Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund
What Can You Do To Stop This Madness?
About leaving a comment for the FDA: It’s best to compose your comments before submitting them. Comments 2000 words or less can be copied and pasted into the comment box. Longer comments can be attached as a letter. For the required field “Organization Name,” please enter “Citizen.” For “Category,” you can use “Individual Consumer”. Remember to hit “submit comment” when you are done. You should be taken to another screen that includes a confirmation number for your comment, which is how you know your comment was successfully submitted. The comment period ends on May 21, 2013
Cathy says: All of the above, plus contact your senators and your representatives to speak out against approval of this petition, and ask them to speak out against it on behalf of their constituents (you!).
Wardee says: All of the above, plus share this podcast with others! Use twitter, Facebook, email — just something. The link is http://KnowYourFoodPodcast.com/25 Like Kimberly said in the show, changes like this happen behind closed doors without our knowledge. That is, unless we spread the information far and wide, and help to fight against it.
And that’s a wrap! I want to publicly express my grateful thanks to Sally, Kimberly, and Cathy for their insights and knowledge of this issue. You’re the best!
Got Questions or Comments?
I’d love to answer your questions or share your comments on the air. Here are the guidelines:
- Share your name and where you live.
- Share your website or blog URL (if you have one).
- One question per voicemail — leave as many voicemails as you’d like.
- Keep each question brief — like 30 seconds or less, if you can.
When you’re ready, click the button below to record your message.
If the button doesn’t work for you, visit this page to leave a voicemail. Or, want to use the telephone instead? Call 1-541-236-2330 to leave a voicemail with your question or comment. Or, you can contact me.
I’d be grateful if you’d visit my podcast on iTunes and leave a rating and/or review. KnowYourFoodPodcast.com/iTunes or gnowfglins.com/iTunes This helps me make my podcast better and also helps others find it. Thank you!
For past or current episodes, check out the Know Your Food with Wardee podcast archives.
Subscribe to My Podcast via Email
Want me to email you each time there’s a new podcast? Click here to sign up.
Anything to Add?
What do YOU think about hidden aspartame or other artificial sweeteners in milk? Please share below.
Like this podcast? Please help me reach others by using the share buttons at the top of this post. Thanks!
This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting GNOWFGLINS with your purchases.