In this episode of Know Your Food with Wardee, join me and my special guest Vickilynn Haycraft from RealFoodLiving.com and the radio show Get Real—Get Prepared. We are talking about milling your own grains and choosing the right grain mill. Why would you want to mill your own grains? What kind of grains mills are on the market? How to choose the right grain mill? And much more!
Won’t play for you? Try here.
At the beginning of this episode, I mentioned one newsy item, and that is that I’ll be in Arizona in late March and I’m planning a gathering with GNOWFGLINS friends on Sunday, March 24, 2013. The details (such as they are) are RIGHT HERE. I look forward to meeting you there!
Grain Mills 101
In this episode, Vickilynn and I covered a lot of ground. Here are the questions I asked:
- Why did you begin milling your own grains? (great story here!)
- Why should everyone consider milling their own grains?
- What types of grains mills are on the market?
- What are the pros and cons of each type of grain mill?
- What non-electric mills would you recommend?
- What kind of questions should someone ask themselves in order to know what kind of mill to buy? (This is the best part of the whole episode!)
- What’s your approach when reviewing grain mills?
- What resources would you recommend for listeners looking into grain mills and fresh milled grains?
See what I mean? Tons of information. Good, good stuff.
Grain Mills 101
Here are the resources mentioned in this episode:
- Vickilynn’s website — Real Food Living
- Product reviews at Real Food Living
- Vickilynn’s radio show Get Real — Get Prepared
- Whole Grains Council
- Millers Grain House (mill comparison chart to download)
- Amazing Graze Farm Store
- Free soaked, sprouted, and sourdough whole-grain recipes here at gnowfglins
I’m a Guest!
Coming up in about a week, I’m a guest on Vickilynn’s show, and we’re talking about dehydrating. Here’s the link to that. It will air on Saturday, March 2, 2013. You can listen live or listen later (just unfortunately not early). If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter, I’ll put up a reminder nearer to the time.
And that’s it — have a blessed week, everyone!
Got Questions or Comments?
I’d love to answer your questions or share your comments on the air. Here are the guidelines:
- Share your name and where you live.
- Share your website or blog URL (if you have one).
- One question per voicemail — leave as many voicemails as you’d like.
- Keep each question brief — like 30 seconds or less, if you can.
When you’re ready, click the button below to record your message.
If the button doesn’t work for you, visit this page to leave a voicemail. Or, want to use the telephone instead? Call 1-541-236-2330 to leave a voicemail with your question or comment. Or, you can contact me.
I’d be grateful if you’d visit my podcast on iTunes and leave a rating and/or review. KnowYourFoodPodcast.com/iTunes or gnowfglins.com/iTunes This helps me make my podcast better and also helps others find it. Thank you!
For past or current episodes, check out the Know Your Food with Wardee podcast archives.
Subscribe to My Podcast via Email
Want me to email you each time there’s a new podcast? Click here to sign up.
Anything to Add?
Feel free to ask additional questions or leave comments about this episode below.
Like this podcast? Please help me reach others by using the share buttons at the top of this post. Thanks!
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!