Sprouted Spelt Chocolate Chip Cookies

IMG_8397

When we came off the GAPS diet late last year, I went back to my usual traditional grain preparation methods of soaking, sprouting and fermenting using whole wheat. Almost immediately, my seasonal allergies returned. So I decided to see if I would improve if I ate spelt instead of wheat. And sure enough, I did improve — drastically. I don’t suffer from seasonal allergies. (Currently, at least — I’m waiting to see what happens when spring hits.)

This was a nice thing to find out. Spelt is my favorite grain anyway. I love that it is so versatile that it makes both good bread and light baked goods. Wheat makes heavier baked goods, and if you use hard red wheat, it makes heavier bread, too. Spelt is just light all around.

Spelt makes delicious cookies! The spelt chocolate chip bar cookies pictured above are literally ready for the oven in 5 minutes, provided your sprouted flour is ready to go.

If you don’t have sprouted flour, well, ssshhhhh…. don’t tell anyone I told you to go ahead and use unsprouted! ;)

What I do is make a big batch of sprouted spelt berries, dehydrate them and then store them in a big pillowcase on the pantry shelf. Then I grind as needed or sometimes I’ll grind a bunch and put it in the freezer.

Ready for the recipe? I shared the Spelt Chocolate Chip Bar Cookies at the Grain Mill Wagon this morning. So click here and you can have a batch in the oven in 5 to 10 minutes. Be sure to put your feet up while they’re baking!

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes

Comments

I have been on a cookie kick the past few weekends…and this, is definitely going to be made some weekend soon! They look so delicious! :)

Thanks for sharing,
    Katie

2. Sarah B. says

So… I gave these a try yesterday afternoon. I had to substitute whole wheat pastry flour for the spelt, and they came out very floury – almost too floury to eat. Should I have reduced the amount of flour since I wasn’t using spelt? I want these to work! :)

Sarah — I’m sorry to hear this! Yes, I would try less flour. It also depends on if your flour was fresh-ground or not. If it is fresh-ground you use more flour because it hasn’t settled like non-fresh-ground. Start out at 2 cups then see how the batter is. After you add the flour, let your batter sit for 5 to 15 minutes (it will absorb liquid), then see how it is.

3. Shawn says

Is there a particular type of chocolate chips you recommend? I haven’t really explored what more natural chocolate chip brands are out there and I was wondering what you have had success with. Thanks!

Shawn, I can’t remember the brand, but what I do is look in the health food section for chocolate chips that are organic or fair trade and also don’t use corn syrup but perhaps evaporated cane juice. Next time I’m looking, I’ll turn over some packages and reevaluate which I’d choose, and let you know.

I’ve heard that the enjoy life chips are good. I got mine at Azure standard in 5 lb packages…not cheap mind you…but yummy!

I’ve been trying to move more towards just spelt too…even got some spelt white flour, for the things I just can’t seem to use whole wheat for. The only problem I’ve seen so far (besides the cost of the white flour) is my hamburger buns don’t hold together as well, which can be a pain when you are eating a hamburger. I didn’t know if you would have a solution for this or not. Even the bread I made was much more fragile, and didn’t hold together as well…although it’s not quite as annoying to me as the hamburger buns, but would be nice to have it hold together better too. Taste wise, it’s good…not hard red wheat good (cause I LOVE that flavor for my bread and angle food cake when I use hard red whole wheat) but I could get used to less whole wheat flavor I’m sure. Just really need to figure out how to make the buns hold together a little better when eating!