know-your-food-443x443_4

Next week’s podcast is all about dehydrating and I’ll be taking listener questions. Now’s your chance to get your questions answered!

I need your questions by Tuesday, December 18, 2012 – if you want to get them answered in episode #16, that is.

So…. ask away! Or feel free to share comments or suggestions for the new dehydrating class.

Got a Question or Comment About Dehydrating?

I’d love to answer your questions or share your comments about dehydrating on the air. Here are the guidelines:

1. Share your name and where you live.
  2. Share your website or blog URL (if you have one).
  3. One question per voicemail — leave as many voicemails as you’d like.
  4. Keep each question brief — like around a minute, if you can.

When you’re ready, click the button below to record your message.

If the button doesn’t work for you, visit this page to leave a voicemail. Or, want to use the telephone instead? Call 1-541-236-2330 to leave a voicemail with your question or comment. Or, you can contact me or leave a comment below! Lots of ways to ask; pick the one that suits you. :)

I look forward to hearing from you! To get your question answered in episode #16, be sure to submit it by Tuesday, December 18, 2012.

Comments

1. Bethany W says

I left this on the “Dehydrating Tools” post, so I’ll leave it here, too. My metal lids often “pop” with the release of air while incubating. Just want to make sure the plastic lids won’t hinder things.:

My heart almost stopped beating (for joy — good reasons!) when I saw you used plastic lids on your yogurt. We go through quite a few canning jar lids a day because we use mason jars to store everything. But my Achilles heel are metal YOGURT LIDS. They tend to accumulate for days (weeks? months?) before I get around to washing them. It’s pretty much awful. We make 8 quarts of yogurt a week, so it definitely adds up.

Do you find that the plastic lids work well when incubating yogurt in the dehydrator?
    Do you have any problems with them? (thinking air flow, sealing, difficulty opening them afterward, etc)

You have just made my morning.
    -Bethany

2. Launi says

My dehydrated tomatoes don’t have a good tomato flavor when they are re-hydrated. They just taste “blah”. Is that normal or did I do something wrong?

Hi Wardeh! How important is it to have a food vacuum sealer for long term storage of dehydrated foods. I would like to get one but finances are way too tight right now. What would be alternative supplies (in place of this) to have on hand before starting your online class? Looking forward to this class! Thank you!

4. Amy Cox says

I would love to know equivilants; 1/2 cup dehydrated carrots equals what (not dehydrated) for the sake of a recipe. Can I store different dehydrated vegetables together? I would like to dehydrate the veggies (carrots,onions, and celery) for chicken soup, store pre-measured dehydrated things together. I would also like a ‘tried and true’ recipe source for using the many things my young daughter (11 yo) has been dehydrating. I read somewhere that when potatoes are dehydrated the look awful, but when placed into a acid based (tomato) soup the return to pleasant looking. Is that true?

We already have a dehydrater and dehydrte mainly beef and fish jerky and fruit. We sometimes use for vegtables to preserve a glut when other methods just arent practical for some reason. We live in a very hot climate in summer and warm and moist in winter. In terms of working with our environment dehydrateing is probably the most sensible and traditional (despite my european roots prefering higher energy methods like jarring and freezing!). I am most worried about storing the dehydrted food properly. We often put in the fridge in plastic bags. However Im becoming more aware of the dangers of plastic and I ‘m dont feel safe with this method either. Also I am hoping to increase the yeild of foods I preserve and Im looking at improving my stock piling using non powered storage. What are your thoughts about storing dehydreted food safely?

6. Carol says

Hi Wardeh…..I’m so excited about this new class. I would love to learn how to avoid under or overly dehydrating fruits and veggies. I want to make sure I preserve the vitamins and enzymes. I also would like a better understanding on what a fruit or veggie should look like when finished. I’ve recently been dehydrating bananas and I’m unsure what the color or what type of texture should I expect. I’ve mostly used my dehydrator for nuts. Sadly my dehydrator is not working but my daughter is letting me use hers so I can put to practice what you’ll be teaching. I’m also excited to learn how to best store everything. I did purchase a food saver for your class. Excited!