Today I’m happy to share this giveaway for a signed copy of Angela England’s new book, Backyard Farming on an Acre (More or Less). You can meet Angela on today’s podcast — and if you listen you’ll be able to answer the bonus question for a bonus entry.
Angela’s book is a fantastic resource for beginners and advanced homesteaders. There’s something for everyone. She’s thorough in covering everything about homesteading in small spaces — from planning your farming to gardening to raising animals to what to do with the food once you’ve got it. I especially like that her advice isn’t mainstream. For instance, instead of giving you the rundown on the conventional breeds of chickens, she talks about heritage breeds that are better foragers and dual-purpose (meat and eggs). This is really smart and gives you more flexible and potentially more successful options.
What’s In The Book?
You can transform your yard into a sustainable bounty of healthy food.
It doesn’t take a lot of space to reap a bountiful harvest of nutritious, affordable food. With proper planning, you can grow your own fresh vegetables and fruit; raise chickens and goats for eggs, milk, or meat; and keep bees for honey—on as little as a quarter-acre of land.
Whether your goal is to eat healthier, save money, live more sustainably, or a combination of these, Backyard Farming on an Acre (More or Less) helps you get there. Comprehensive and detailed, it covers everything you need to know to plan, purchase, plant, raise, harvest, preserve, and enjoy your own backyard farm. Written by someone who has done exactly that, this helpful guide is packed with information, illustrations, instructions, advice, and resources. In it, you get:
- Down-to-earth advice on acquiring land or using the space you have, plus considerations such as water access and zoning restrictions.
- A useful primer on garden planning, including edible landscaping and container, raised bed, and vertical gardening.
- Key information on the tools and knowledge you need to prepare your soil and plant, nurture, and protect your garden.
- Tips on maximizing your harvest through crop rotation and succession and extending the growing season.
- Details on cultivating dozens of vegetables, herbs, fruits, and other popular crops.
- Startup instructions on buying and raising chickens and other poultry for eggs or meat; goats and sheep for milk, meat, or fiber; and rabbits for fiber or meat.
- The essentials of animal care, including housing, signs and prevention of illness, breeding, milking, and shearing.
- A year-round guide to beekeeping, with tips for acquiring a hive, keeping healthy bees, and harvesting the honey.
- Comprehensive coverage of home preserving techniques for every type of food you grow or raise.
Who Is Angela?
Angela England is a freelance writer who, along with her husband and four children, cultivates a 1/2-acre farm in their backyard, where they raise dairy and meat goats, keep free-range chickens, and maintain a productive garden of fruits and vegetables. They started with a small garden and took on chickens, goats, bees, and fruit trees over time, eventually managing a larger plot while shedding the conveniences of urban life. Angela is the Founder of Untrained Housewife (untrainedhousewife.com), which guides others in the arts of rural living. She also manages and maintains the Blissfully Domestic web community and contributes to other sites and forums.
Allrighty, it’s time to get to that giveaway!
What’s up for grabs: a signed copy of Backyard Farming on an Acre (More or Less) by Angela England.
This giveaway begins today and ends next Sunday, the 23rd of December, at midnight. I’ll announce the winner on Monday, December 24, 2012.
It is open to anyone, anywhere.
Use the widget below to enter. Don’t forget: if you listen to the podcast, you’ll know the answer to the bonus question and therefore get another entry.
That’s it! Best wises, everyone!
This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting GNOWFGLINS with your purchases.