Our Thanksgiving

How was your Thanksgiving (US readers, of course)? Ours was really special. We invited our friend Jami over, with her children. Each family did half the cooking.

I mentioned in my last podcast that I was going to look for a pastured leg of lamb for Thanksgiving — but we couldn’t find one big enough. So we went with two organic chickens. I know… sounds kind of boring. But we roasted them slowly and they turned out fabulously moist and we couldn’t have been happier. Our family also contributed the gravy, the sweet potato casserole, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, and this chocolate cheesecake pie.

Jami brought a broccoli dish, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and her famous cranberry chutney. Then it was time to dig in, and that we did. Everything was soooo good. We were so full after the meal that we had to wait for dessert, and then we got stuffed again after dessert. We aren’t used to having so many dishes!

After dinner, there were games. Primarily Apples to Apples. I listened from the sidelines but used their words later on in conversation, like “woebegone” and I forget the others now.

Here — me and my kiddoes plus one. (Jami’s daughter)

On Saturday, we attempted to go hunting for Chanterelles at the spot we found last year. It was rainy and the mushrooms we found were wet and rotting. We’re not sure if we were too late in the season –or– if it was just too wet that day –or– if it isn’t a very good year for chanterelles. So, no chanterelles that were worth anything. We did have fun, though.

Thanks to the iOS update, my iPhone 4S can do panoramas. I just found that out. :) My daughter had the great idea to try it out in the woods. We staged these pictures. In the one below, my husband Jeff thought it would be cool to have someone (or someones) coming out of the mist down the road. Yes, it definitely made for a cool picture!

After mushrooming all morning in the rain (surprisingly comfortable with rain gear), we came back home to dry off and eat a warming lunch of lentil soup and roast lamb sandwiches. Even though not for Thanksgiving meal, we had found a small leg of lamb that we roasted and sliced for delicious sandwiches on toasted english muffins spread with cream cheese. And then…. naps. At least for me!

And those were the highlights of our Thanksgiving. How was your Thanksgiving? I hope your time with family and friends was blessed and special!

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes

Comments

Aw…it looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving day! :) So sorry you weren’t able to find any mushrooms. Hopefully, next year. Good to see Jami in the photos – I haven’t seen her for over a year, and miss her!

2. Nann says

Chanterelles. Hmmm…I’ll have to research that. We connect our Easter celebrations with morel hunting-a wonderful family tradition. Love the panoramas. I wonder how many people don’t know about that update?! :0)

Looks and sound like a super great Thanksgiving and the mushroom hunt sounds like fun. My husband’s dad used to hunt for Morels in southern Ohio and he talks about it how fun it was to find them. Thanks for sharing some great memories! Blessings… Nancy

4. Pamela Nelson via Facebook says

Ah, we also did chicken for T Day. Our largest hen we recently butchered. Over the weekend I took the carcass and started bone broth. Strained now and doing a second round with the bones for more broth. Just finished blogging about it to be posted on my new blog that will go live soon.

5. Jamie says

Hello, Wardeh-with-an-h
    Well, that looks like a delicious amount of fun!
    If you ever find anyone around here willing to sell a leg of lamb…let me know!
    Jamie-with-an-e

Hi Wardeh, what a nice post about your Thanksgiving dinner and time spent with family and friends. The food looks like it was delicious and the company even better! We spent our Thanksgiving in Las Vegas visiting Bruce’s parents and his sister and her family who drove over from L.A., and we had ham and pastured chicken for dinner, with roasted veggies, potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce. It was very yummy. We *almost* played Apples to Apples, but instead most everyone engaged themselves in another board game which I’ve forgotten the name of, and I immersed myself in some episodes of Downton Abbey, more than a fair trade, I think! :)

I don’t think it’s necessary to have a turkey every year at Thanksgiving, and we are now going to get a local turkey from one of our farmers for the Christmas season – I say “season” because I’m not sure if we will make it exactly on Christmas eve or Day, but perhaps on another occasion close to the holiday itself with a family or friends dinner. My parents usually don’t want anyone to cook (even if I offer) and they order a meal out on Christmas, it’s something they have done for the last number of years since my mother’s health has failed and she’s no longer able to prepare the big spread we used to have every year. But we usually get something from one of the nicer restaurants and then make a home-cooked meal somewhere near Christmas Day like we’ll be doing again this year.

Blessings to you and your family! :)

Raine — Oh, yeah, Downton Abbey is DEFINITELY a good trade. :)

We’re all caught up on those episodes and can’t wait for more!

I’m glad to hear you had such a nice and yummy Thanksgiving!

7. Cammie Grace says

Hello ~ I was working on a project and something reminded me of you, then I realized it has been such a long time since I’ve seen a post on FB by you. I looked at your website and it looks like you haven’t been on there for awhile. Thought I would post a hello on your FB but you don’t seem to be there anymore either. I was happy to find this with happy Thanksgiving photos of you and yours. God bless you and your family!!!

8. Kristen says

I know this post is kind of old but, could you please share the chocolate cheesecake recipe or where you got it? It looks so yum!