Grain-Free Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Grain-Free Chocolate Cupcakes (3)

It’s not quite fair of me to share these grain-free chocolate cupcakes in the GAPS series because they include a “cheat” ingredient — baking soda. If you are okay to use baking soda now and then, I think you will love these. If you can’t make that exception at this point, then just put them on the back burner for someday. :)

Update: Baking soda is okay. See comments. :)

Grain-Free Chocolate Cupcakes

Grain-Free Chocolate Cupcakes (2)

My son and I made these for a church picnic. They turned out absolutely fantastic. The original recipe is Elena’s Pantry Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes. To her recipe, I added vanilla and coffee. Also, my yield and baking time were different, too.

• 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa or cacao powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 4 pastured eggs
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup raw honey
  • 1 teaspoon Teeccino, finely ground, or other coffee substitute like Dandy Blend, Caffix, Pero, Roma, etc. — not for GAPS
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Makes 9 cupcakes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine all ingredients in food processor and mix well. Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each with 1/4 cup of cupcake mixture. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool on a rack. Frost.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Grain-Free Chocolate Cupcakes (1)

For this, I happily refer you to the recipe that’s perfection itself from Kendahl at Our Nourishing Roots. The only thing I did differently was that I didn’t beat the frosting in my mixer, but rather used my food processor. Thus, my frosting was not as fluffy. It held up very well outside at a picnic afternoon and as you can see — delectable!

I hope you’ll give these a try! Be sure and let me know what you think. :)

New to our GAPS series? Get up to speed by browsing past posts in this series or reading what the GAPS diet is.

Comments

Tiffany — You can definitely leave it out. However, you don’t taste it if you use it — you just taste the chocolate more and better. Coffee makes chocolate “pop”! :)

• Jeannette says

I totally agree with you on the chocolate coffee combination. Coffee definitely enhances the chocolate flavor. I use it in lots of things. I am a total chocolate lover.

One question, though, I thought that we were supposed to avoid chocolate even on Full GAPS or is this not a a GAPS legal recipe? Looks delicious!

Lynn — You can’t just substitute for coconut flour, or vice versa. It is different than any other flour and won’t behave the same way. I’d suggest looking for a sprouted flour chocolate cupcake recipe instead. :)

1. Melanie Tringali says

In your email you mention that this has baking soda – but I do not see the ingredient on the list.

2. Karen says

You said that the cupcakes include a baking soda as a ‘cheat’ ingredient, but I don’t see it listed in the ingredients. Am I missing something – because these look delicious, and I’d love to try them.

3. Anastasia says

Dr Natasha’s GAPS book says to avoid all rising agents except pure bicarbonate of soda. That’s baking soda. So baking soda should be allowed I thought.

Oh, these are beautiful. I’m so glad to know that they held up outside too. I don’t dare try it until it’s below 90 degrees here though, lol!

5. Talia B. says

You doubled the amount of coconut flour from the Elana’s pantry recipe but kept the other ingreident amounts stayed the same (plus your additions). Is that correct? I am a little confused because hers says it makes 8 cupcakes with 1/4 c coconut flour and yours makes 9 with 1/2 cup

Talia — I’m so sorry! I think I made a typo but it has been awhile so I can’t be sure (and I’m away from home so I can’t reference my notes on this). I don’t remember doubling the coconut flour so I think you should go with 1/4 cup.

6. Dennise says

Wardee, I didn’t see a response from the person that asked about cocoa not being allowed on the GAPS diet. Isn’t that so? I wish it was explained why some ingredients that seem so innocuous are not allowed.
    Also, wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your posts! I rarely pass them by!