KYF: Got Questions or Comments?

Do you have questions for me?

Help me make my podcast more helpful for YOU. From here on out, I’ll be taking listener questions — or comments!

Follow these guidelines to leave a voicemail using your computer microphone.

1. Share your name and where you live.
  2. Share your website or blog URL (if you have one).
  3. One question per voicemail — leave as many voicemails as you’d like.
  4. Keep each question brief — like 30 seconds or less, if you can.

When you’re ready, click the button below to record your message.

If the button doesn’t work for you, visit this page to leave a voicemail. Or, want to use the telephone instead? Call 1-541-236-2330 to leave a voicemail with your question or comment.

Some New Things!

Podcasting is new to me, and I’m still learning. This last week I learned quite a bit!

First of all, I submitted my podcast to iTunes so that it has a dedicated listing. When searching for “Know Your Food with Wardee” on iTunes, you’ll see it comes up on its own, or with the other shows on Preparedness Radio Network. Choose the former if you want just my show, or choose the latter if you want my show plus all the shows on PRN.

The photo below shows the iTunes search results. Unfortunately, my show as a stand-alone doesn’t have cover artwork… YET. I’m working on that. :)

Next, my friend Renee Harris from MadeOn Hard Lotion told me about the incredible Stitcher app. This app lets you easily subscribe and listen to podcasts on your mobile device — without downloading. Plus, you can pick up where you left off if you had to set one down for a bit. Here’s my podcast on Stitcher. Or go to your app and search for “Know Your Food with Wardee”.

Finally, Apple’s got a brand-new app — Podcasts — for browsing, listening, and subscribing to podcasts much more easily than syncing up with your iTunes. Just click and listen. This app does download the podcasts, but only according to your settings. Install the app, then search for “Know Your Food with Wardee” to add mine. Once again, you’ll get two choices (as above in iTunes) — choose Know Your Food with Wardee as a stand-alone or along with the other PRN shows. Cover artwork is coming…

If you listen to my podcast on iTunes or Stitcher, please leave a comment or a rating! I appreciate it :)

I think that’s it — I’ll see you on Friday for the fifth episode of Know Your Food with Wardee!

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes

Comments

Ever since your podcast on emergency preparedness, I’ve been trying to realign our families goals along the same path. What would you say would be the #1 small investment of money we could make right now to get started on moving toward a more self-sufficient lifestyle? We have a very limited budget already, so I want to make a list of things that, if some extra money comes our way, we can work our way through that list.

2. Zdenka says

Hi,
    thank you Wardeh for your podcast with very interesting and useful ideas.
    Is this the right place to ask a written question?
    In the last but one episode you mentioned garbanzo bean flour. I wonder whether it (and other bean flours) could be used as an enrichment to sourdough bread. Especially gluten-free sourdough, which I now bake a lot and it comes out quite nicely :) What about its digestibility if the beans haven’t been soaked / sprouted and cooked in water? Would it be possible to make bean flour at home (I have a komo mill)?

3. Lisa Rynearson says

I just ran across your website looking for an easy egg substitute. Thank you for that. I see that you make sourdough, and I love sourdough and all breads, but have found out I have food allergies to wheat, yeast, eggs and cow’s milk to name a few. Have you ever tried making sourdough with another type of flour besides wheat? If so, what did you use and found it to work the best.

• Zdenka says

Hi Lisa, if you don’t mind rye, you can easily make a sourdough starter with rye. In fact this is the traditional way in many European countries.
      If you must avoid all gluten, there are also many possibilities. I now bake with quinoa and also with millet starter. Buckwheat and rice should also work well (they are on my to-do list)
      I didn’t mention spelt because it’s a kind of wheat. And it can replace wheat everywhere, including sourdough.

Lisa,

I use mostly spelt. Are you able to have older grains? That’s a possibility for you.

Also, you can do gluten-free sourdough. We have some modifications of sourdough recipes to be gluten-free in my Sourdough A to Z eBook:

I’m going to answer your question on next week’s podcast 5/27. Thanks for asking it!

Zdenka — thanks for helping out by sharing your expertise. :)

I have a question about yeast. My sister-in-law has developed a sensitivity to yeast. She has not identified herself as having candida but has burning lips and other digestive problems with yeast.

She is pregnant with her first child which may have something to do with it. She tried some sourdough and it seamed to be better. But I wonder if she maybe experiencing early signs of Candida. So my question is sourdough good for people with candida? and could you make a few other suggestions for someone with yeast sensitivity/candida.

Thanks, I love your podcast.

Hi BJ,
      Thanks for your question! We’ll save this for a future Know Your Food with Wardee podcast. I will be sure to let you know when she addresses your question.

Millie