Please Share: Food Preservation and You

cellar

This Friday, I hope you’ll be joining me for Food Preservation 101, a free webinar!

I and my special guests will help you sort out your food preservation options, weighing out the pros and cons of each. Plus we’ll kick off giveaways for a FoodSaver with Jar Sealer accessory from Amazing Graze Farm, Pickle Pro fermenting lids from HomesteaderSupply.com, and copies of my book.

Click here to register or get more info on the webinar.

In preparation for the webinar, will you help me out with something?

Unique Food Preservation Approaches

Often, people don’t fully understand the pros and cons of all the preserving methods, nor have many really taken the time to think through what their goals are. Food preservation plans look different for each person, each family, so what one family does may not be the answer for another. For example…

• One family might be thinking they will need to bug-out for safety reasons, and they need portable and lightweight preserved foods.
  • Another family might be planning to dig deep and stay put when disaster strikes, so they put up a year’s worth of food (or more) in an extensive cellar or storage area.
  • Another family might not have a cellar or extra fridge or freezer space, so canning looks like the right food storage method for their physical constraints.
  • One family thinks they need to put up food to last three months, while another wants food stores to be able to feed them for a year or more.

See what I mean? This is not one-size fits all.

I know where I an my family stand, because we’ve done lots of thinking and talking about these things (and I’ll be sharing more about that on Friday), but what I don’t know is… where do you stand?

Would you help me out by taking this quick survey? Then will you come to the free webinar on Friday to learn more?

Survey: Food Preservation and You

Thanks! If you have any questions for the webinar, feel free to leave a comment. I’ll either save them or try to work them in. :)

Comments

1. Brenda says

Most of the instructions that I’ve seen/heard for dehydrating only talk about the Excalibur, but some of us can’t afford one of those no matter how wonderful they are. Can you shed some light on more traditional methods, and/or using the oven?

By whatever method, how can a person tell when their food is fully dehydrated? I fear not drying it out enough to prevent spoilage, or too much and being left with something inedible.

Is packaging with a FoodSaver a good idea for dehydrated foods, or does the plastic negate the benefits of removing the air?

Thanks so much, Wardee!!!! :-)

I’m curious to know if there will be a way to get the webinar if we can’t attend at the time its on. I work full time and can’t participate in the middle of the day, but would love to see a written summary or something after the fact.

Thanks!

Amanda (and Deborah, below) — There will be a replay (a video recording). As soon as it is ready, I’ll let you know by email — as long as you’re registered. The replay is not available to the public.

Also, the PDF notes will come with the replay. Again, you must be registered to get that. :)

• Liberty says

Hi,

I’m new to your book and fermenting foods and just came across your site today. If I register now, can I also see this video replay to would I had to have already been registered prior?

I’m very interested in preserving foods for a long time, wanting nutrition to increase and not wanting to have to refrigerate or freeze as there may not be electricity and/or may not be able to keep it on all the time.

Thanks,
        Liberty

3. Deborah says

I share Amanda’s concern. I neglected to account for the time difference and as a night shift person, I’m usually asleep by 4 pm, which is what 1 pm PST is for me. I’m going to try and stay up, but it will be hard.

4. Myra Horst says

I would be interested to know if there are other options for root-cellaring if you don’t actually have a root cellar.

Hi, I do not have a root cellar either. This has been an issue for both myself and my friend. We have spoke at length about this, actually. We would like to put up all kinds of foods for winter and convenience. Many thing we would like to lactoferment, but using this method would require cold storage, 52 degrees or a fridge or two or three for the purpose. After reading many sites like these, we decided to just lactoferment a batch or two apiece and then can many other batches. Then, shortly before use, we will lactoferment the canned product. For example. Friday we are making ketchup. We have 2 bushels of locally grown, organic tomatoes for this purpose. Between us, we have 11 people to feed and one on the way! This is about 1/4 of what we will actually need, just for ketchup!!! So, we will take our canned ketchup and then add whey to each jar and set on counter for 3 days and consume! We would like to do this with salsas, and fermented veggies. Perhaps make up a few 1 gallon batches of kimchi and kraut, as those seem to last the longest…. and maybe can many others… reintroducing the good bugs through the whey. We both milk cows, so we have plenty of whey from yogurt and cheese making. IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCE REINTRODUCING THE GOOD BUGS IN A COOKED PRODUCT, PLEASE SHARE. VERY LITTLE INFO ON THIS, BUT IT IS VITAL IF YOU DO NOT HAVE COLD STORAGE AND WANT TO FEED YOUR FAMILY FROM YOUR GARDEN YEAR ROUND!!!! ALL THOUGHTS AND IDEAS AND RECIPES ARE WELCOME,…. THANK YOU!!

5. Debra says

After listening to the webinar I am more inclined to pursue fermenting. I have experience with dehydrating, canning and freezing, but feel that I really need to develop my knowledge base and skills in fermenting. I am eagerly looking forward to joining the online cooking classesl to help fermenting in particular.
    Also, the information on root cellaring was great. I definitely want to pursue this method of food storage.
    Wardee, thank you so much for your time in putting this together!