Blueberry-Lemon Muffins

‘Tis the season for berry picking! (And next week, berries are featured in our Seasonal Recipe Round-Up, so get your berry recipes ready!)

My husband and I went berry picking last Friday at Big Bend Berries with our friend Jami and her daughter. We bought home 34 pounds of blueberries. I *almost* shudder to think what we would have brought home had our three children been with us (they’re visiting grandparents out of state)! I say shudder because while I was thinking we’d go back for more, after working them to get them preserved… possibly we have enough.

What did I do with all those blueberries? I ate several pints myself with yogurt and honey. I made several batches of muffins, the recipe shared below. I dehydrated a bunch and I froze a bunch. We seem to be stocked. ;)

About those muffins. We love them! They’re really fabulous. I made them with blanched almond flour (since we’re on the gut-healing GAPS diet), making my version both GAPS friendly and grain-free.

But I also wanted to share a non-GAPS recipe, because most of you reading here are not on GAPS or a grain-free diet. So I posted on Facebook that I needed recipe testers, and I got lots of volunteers to try a whole-grain version of my recipe.

Thanks to Marci, Sylvie, Jenna, Jamie, Heather, Tara, Gina, Barbara, and Lori! Your help was invaluable. The muffins got rave reviews from all but one, and she like them okay but prefers her sour cream muffin recipe better. (Can’t blame her for that!)

Here are Heather’s five children enjoying their muffins. Aren’t they sweet?!

So here you go… delicious blueberry-lemon muffins for everyone! :)

Blueberry-Lemon Muffins (GAPS-friendly)

• 4 eggs
  • 2/3 cup raw honey (or Grade B maple syrup)
  • 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or butter
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda (omit for GAPS)
  • 2 tablespoons dried lemon peel or 4 tablespoons fresh lemon rind (about 4 large lemons)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups sprouted flour* (for GAPS or grain-free: 5 cups blanched almond flour)
  • 1 pint fresh or frozen blueberries

*You can use unsprouted flour, but realize there’s no soaking stage in this recipe.

Makes 16 to 18 regular size muffins or 7 to 8 jumbo muffins.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Whisk together eggs, honey, coconut oil or butter, salt, baking soda, lemon rind, and vanilla. Add flour until you get a muffin batter consistency. Fold in blueberries gently. Fill paper lined or greased muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until lightly browned and toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Enjoy the muffins! Be sure to let us all know what you think. :)

A bit of news: Join me on Saturday at 4pm Pacific/7pm Eastern when I’ll be on the Get Real — Get Prepared radio show with Vickilynn Haycraft. We’re giving away a copy of my book and a 3-pack of Pickle Pro fermenting lids from HomesteaderSupply.com. You can listen live or you can listen later by downloading the show at the same show link.

Another bit of news: Are you registered for next Friday’s free webinar, Food Preservation 101? I and my special guests will help you sort through your food preservation options so you can make the best choices for your life and situation. Plus, we’re kicking off some great giveaways — a FoodSaver with Jar Sealer accessory from Amazing Graze Farm, more Pickle Pro fermenting lids from HomesteaderSupply.com, and more copies of my book. Click here to register or get more info.

Photo credits: Top photo — Tara Kelly. Photo of children — Heather Hampton.

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Weekly meal plans for you and your family*
  • Access to 8 online classes

*included in premium membership

Comments

1. Ashley says

Could I use coconut flour? Or would that change the recipe too much? We are trying to cut out some grains and I only have coconut flour. Might have to try almond flour too. It looks good!

Ashley, coconut flour doesn’t behave like almond flour or grain flours. It is a whole ‘nother beast. I do not recommend simply substituting and to be honest I am not that experienced with coconut flour to be able to say what you should do.

Does anyone else know?

• KG says

We have used Coconut flour some and it is indeed a whole ‘nother beast. But I think you could make something similar to this recipe with it if you cut the flour down to 1/2-3/4 cup and increased the eggs to a dozen or so. I think the rest of the ingredients would be fine. The problem with substituting coconut flour with another is that coconut flour absorbs so much more liquid that if subed 1-1 the muffins would probably be chokingly dry. Anyway, that’s my 2 cents. :)

Yum!! Wish we had blueberries here. I’ll have to save this recipe for later when we visit the states. Won’t be fresh blueberries, but frozen is better than nothing! LOL!

3. Elaine Schwerdtfeger says

Hi!
    I made these and thought they were just dandy! I was very surprised at the texture; it was so like the real thing. Thanks so much for posting.

I am making great headway with my teeth ailments (cavities) by dropping sugar to nil (except for a few of these muffins that I had to try!), dropping all grains and eating lots of raw dairy and kefir. Anyway, the book I was reading was saying we need to process our nuts by soaking almonds 3 days, then we can dry them and I would think grind them in to some kind of flour and maybe blanch them?

I think that is just what this recipe needs is the fully processed almond so the digestibility is complete! Has anyone done something like this and had good results! I am going to try soon and I should find out.
    Thanks again, elaine

4. Tracy says

Where did you go picking in OR? We are on our way up to Portland area and it may work out to pick!
    Thanks~
    Tracy

I was so excited to see this recipe but then realized you used 4 eggs which can make all the difference but we’re also allergic to eggs. I might try it anyway but betting it’s another flop using egg substitute.

6. Gloria Meyer says

I made these muffins (gluten-free) yesterday using butter and they were very tastey. Thanks for yet another great recipe!

7. Emily Lansing says

WOW! These are by far the most fabulous muffins I have ever had! I am going through the Fundamentals I class, and I made these muffins before I had learned about sprouting grains, so I simply soaked 2 1/4 – 2 1/2 cups of flour in the 4 eggs with 2 1/2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar overnight, and the muffins turned out wonderfully! I also added yummy, unsweetened shredded coconut and chunks of pecans.

8. Martha says

Hi there, Wardeh!

Why is 5 cups of almond flour (which is double the sprouted flour) correct in the recipe? I know it was asked for clarification above by Katie but it is taking me some convincing! (Sorry!) I’m also thinking about soaking the almond flour because mine is not blanched, so you see why I want to be sure I get the right proportions.

Also, do you think 4 large lemons has only 4 tablespoons of liquid? My lemons are usually juicier! So how about 1/4 cup of lemon juice? I know I sometimes end up overwriting some recipes by considering the batter consistency (too gutsy–I guess–again sorry!), but then I’ll have to be adding more baking powder, won’t I?

Love, Mom

Hi, Mom. I know the amount is correct because I make these muffins all the time. :) In fact, sometimes I add 5-1/2 cups of almond flour if I’ve overestimated the oil (I eyeball that sometimes) or my eggs are really large.

On the lemons, I meant that you want the rind from 4 large lemons. Not the juice! Oops! If you’re using the juice, just use 1 lemon or 1/4 cup just like you said. :)

9. Karen says

Hello,
    I was wondering how long a lemon lasts after the zest is removed? Will the lemon go bad with zest removed?
    Can I add zest of one lemon and juice of 1 lemon in place of all the zest recommend in above recipe? Will it alter the recipe too much or make it taste too lemony?
    Thanks much,