Grain-Free Almond Sunny Seed Crackers

Behold the nutty, crisp, and delicious crackers that satisfy a huge want need while we’re on the GAPS diet. B. says they’re peanut-buttery and she is right. They’re nutty, that’s true, but not overly, so they go well with many foods — yogurt cheese or cheese, salmon salad, egg salad, almond butter, and more. We’re really happy to have them around!

Almond Sunny Seed Crackers

Adapted from this recipe at Against All Grain. While these crackers hold together pretty well, they are just plain more fragile than grain-based crackers, especially if you omit the sunflower seeds. Consider yourself warned. ;)

• 2 cups blanched almond flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (plus more for sprinkling)
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 tablespoons cold water
  • 2 tablespoons chopped sunflower seeds (optional — omit for a plain cracker as in last picture)

Makes 2 cookie sheets full. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. In mixing bowl or food processor, combine all ingredients. If using food processor, reserve half the sunny seeds to pulse in briefly at the end. Separate dough in half. With a rolling pin, roll each section of dough between two pieces of parchment paper until 1/8″+ thick. This dough will easily keep getting thinner and thinner, in the end leaving you with fragile crackers — so don’t go too thin. Also compare what you’re rolling out to the size and shape of your cookie sheet. Gently peel back top piece of parchment paper. Sprinkle salt all over the top of the dough. Use rolling pin once over all the top to press in the salt. Use pizza cutter to cut into 1″ to 2″ crackers.

Gently transfer parchment paper with crackers to a cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, checking frequently after 10 minutes of baking to remove browned crackers as needed. (Almond flour browns quickly — these go from perfect too burned in seconds!) Repeat with other half of dough. When cool, store in an airtight container. Enjoy!

Want more GAPS info? GAPS is a gut-healing diet, and we’re writing a whole series on it.

What are your favorite grain-free crackers?

Comments

1. Kirsten Stevens Evans via Facebook says

They are indeed good. I made a recipe from one of the nourishing blogs that had raisins, almond flour, and rosemary. I can’t tell you how good they were with honeyed goat cheese. And my pate. And caviar. Our kids simply swooned.

2. Amy Lynn via Facebook says

Not soaked? Do you make the flour out of crispy nuts? Is almond flour just finely ground almonds? Can I make my own with my vitamix?

• Agnes says

yes you can I buy whole almonds and grind them in my vitamix works great. I also do all the other seeds I need to “flour”. Just grind until desired consistency is reached.!

Thanks for this! For a raw version (this may answer Amy Lynn’s question), one can try the following:
    Raw version: soak raw almonds overnight, blend them in the Vitamix (or regular blender) the next morning, squeeze out extra liquid in net bag or cheesecloth. Use this almond meal as the almond flour. “Cook” crackers in a dehydrator (or outside in the sun under cheesecloth!) instead of the oven. YUM!

Amy – Sorry! I meant to clarify that in the post. Either make your own almond flour from soaked/dehydrated almonds (with or without skin), from blanched almonds with skin popped off then dried, or use ready to go blanched almond flour. Mainly the anti-nutrients are in the skin. I love blanched almond flour because it is ready to go! I *think* you can use almond pulp (really squeezed out) but omit water in recipe.

• Joyce says

Wardee, these look nice! I’m having a hard time understanding this sentence, though: “Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, checking frequently after 10 minutes of baking to browned remove crackers at the edges.” Is there a period missing after “browned”? Then remove the crackers at the edges and let the rest keep baking? Looking forward to giving them a go, J.

Leave it to you Wardee! I just made these and I am soooo excited to know I can feel like I am “normal” with such a basic “treat” I can bring on the road with me! These are fantastic! Thank you for sharing this awesome recipe! Looking forward to more GAPS friendly recipes from GNOWFLINS! :)

6. Maureen Valdivia via Facebook says

Wardee – do you think these would be even better in the dehydrator? And if so, would they be any healthier for us? I am assuming there is no real difference in nutrition based on the ingredients. Is that right?

7. Tawny says

Just made these and I must say they are pretty tasty! They were SUPER easy and mixed up VERY quickly. I used a Tbl. Seseme oil and a Tbl. Ghee. (only because I am waiting for my evoo in the mail ;) ) Great cracker recipe for those of us who are gluten or grain free. Thanks again!

Maureen — If you’re using blanched almond flour, the almonds are already heated, so dehydrating is sort of pointless (because usually we dehydrate to keep foods raw). If you make your own almond flour from soaked almonds, then yes, it would be healthier because they’d still be raw out of the dehydrator. I’m not sure of the results though — perhaps less crisp?

That was what I was thinking but I wanted to be sure. They sure are good! My husband said they taste better to him than store bought crackers! Thanks for the recipe!

9. Jessica says

Thanks so much for this recipe and all the info on GAPS! I’ve been grain/refined sugar free for only a couple of weeks now, but I already feel like my seasonal allergies are improving, got rid of the wheat bloat and the post-nasal drip! But honestly, I think my favorite part has been trying all the new recipes. Keeps things interesting :)

10. Kelley says

Oh thank you! This soon to be mama again needs some crackers! And my nausea didn’t start rolling at these. We are making them right now!

11. Deanna says

I just made these crackers. They are delicious! So easy! I rolled, scored, and baked the crackers on a Silpat the size of a half sheet pan which made things even easier … and the crackers don’t burn … in fact I had to bake them a few minutes longer. (I know not all of you might be comfortable using a silicone Silpat though.) Since I baked on a half-sheet pan, I was able to bake the entire batch of dough at once saving time. I tried a batch with hazelnut flour too and they are equally delicious. I think if I leave the salt out of the next hazelnut batch that they will have the taste of a favorite biscotti.
    Thanks so much for this recipe!
    Photo:

12. Renee says

Is there a recommended seed that could be used instead of the almond flour for those with nut allergies? Pumpkin seeds or sunflower or a mix of the two…what about coconut flour mixed in too? Just wondered what your thoughts were regarding if this change to the recipe might work…Thanks for the inspiration!