Pan-Fried Parsnips

Pan Fried Parsnips | Don't assume you don't like parsnips. That is, unless you've already had them like this -- pan-fried, browned and caramelized in butter. Super good and super easy. Beth, with whom we shared a garden last summer, gave me this recipe and a taste-test of her prized leftovers. They were fantastic, so I couldn't wait to try it myself. And the whole family loved these! | GNOWFGLINS.com

Don’t assume you don’t like parsnips. That is, unless you’ve already had them like this — pan-fried, browned and caramelized in butter. Super good and super easy.

We dug up our parsnips last week. They waited out the winter, stored in the ground where we planted them (because it doesn’t really freeze much here). We brought home about 18 good-sized parsnips. Beth, with whom we shared a garden last summer, gave me this recipe and a taste-test of her prized leftovers. They were fantastic, so I couldn’t wait to try it myself. And the whole family loved these!

Pan-Fried Parsnips

• 2 large or 4 small parsnips
  • butter
  • sea salt
  • pepper
  • granulated or powdered garlic

Serves 5. Scrub and peel parsnips. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds or 1/2-inch-thick lengthwise pieces. In a cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat, melt a few tablespoons of butter. Add parsnip rounds in a single layer. Sprinkle with seasonings. Cook until fork-tender and browned, turning frequently (and seasoning the other side) to avoid burning and to cook through completely. Remove from pan and repeat to cook all parsnips. Serve warm. Chill leftovers. Delicious cold or reheated.

How do you prepare parsnips? Do you like them or not? How does your family feel about them?

Comments

1. Amanda Zambrano via Facebook says

I like to roast them or bake them up like “french fries” – especially with other root veggies

2. Lee Henderson Burdett via Facebook says

roasted, in soups, pureed with carrots and potatoes – they are one of my faves! I’ve even seen recipes that use them in desserts.

3. cj says

i roast them in the oven with olive oil and sesame seeds. i often boil and mash carrots and parsnips together for the children. or parsnip/potato mash. parsnips are wonderful in chicken soup.

4. Jayne Gautreau via Facebook says

we ate parsnips all the time growing up, I noticed they are much cheaper in Ireland than over here. I always boil mine with carrots and then mash them with butter and alittle salt and pepper :)

5. Lee Henderson Burdett via Facebook says

ok, mkaing these right now. because of you impulsively bought parsnips while at the grocery store. :)

6. Sarah says

I never had parsnips growing up but starting receiving them in my CSA box this winter. We love them at our house. We love the sweetness and texture they add to soups, especially since we aren’t eating white potatoes right now. I’m going to try carmelozong them up like u have done. It looks fantastic.

7. Suzanne says

These aren’t parsnips but to me they taste very similar. I just made Jerusalem artichoke chips. They were so delicious and I’m sharing. I’m not sure if coconut oil is GAPS legal but you could make them with butter too.

I just sliced the chokes real thin and cooked them on a cookie sheet with coco oil and a little salt and pepper until they were golden brown and crispy. 400 for 25-30 minutes They tasted similar to a potato chip.

8. Emma Abrahams via Facebook says

I usually avoid parsnips at all cost. But then I’ve never had them cooked this way. I’m intrigued!

9. Michele says

Mmmmm…parsnips!! My fave way to prepare them has always been to cut them into smaller sticks, toss them with a little olive oil and some Sel Gris Avec Humidite (French wet grey sea salt), and then roast them in the oven. They get a slight crust on the outside and are smooth and creamy on the inside. Delicious!! I can’t wait to try them your way. They look so good!!! :)

10. Nicola says

We always had them boiled & mashed with carrot & potatoes growing up. My husband likes to roast them. I must admit I don’t like them either way & my daughters don’t seem to like them either. That said, if there is one thing I have learned on our real food journey, it’s that food always tastes good cooked in butter so I will definitely be trying this one out :) Especially as, like Jayne mentioned above, parsnips are a cheap vegetable in Ireland.

11. Lindsey says

I made these today, and they were delicious! Next time I’m going to look for smaller ones as the large one I bought had a tough center. I called them “pirate coins” (I sliced them into rounds) and got my 4 year old to try them. He said, “Mmm, kinda good. Kinda not” Well, at least he tasted them I guess :)

Thanks for the post on Ron Paul, by the way. I really like his ideas, I just don’t know that he’s electable, unfortunately. It’s great that he’s getting more publicity for those ideas, though.

12. Sara says

I’ve been looking for an easy recipe for todays dinner and landed on your blog ;) I can’t wait to try this!

Wardee, where do you get your olive oil? It’s so lovely green (or appears that way in your videos) and the huge white jug you pour it from just might keep up with how fast we go through it :).

Nice! I never quite know what to do with parsnips, so I’ve just used them like carrots in soups & casseroles. Once parsnips are harvested here, I’ll definitely try this!

Thanks for the recipe.

15. Sara says

This is the first time I hear about parsnips but it looks like something I would like to try :) Thanks for the share!

I know this post is from almost a year ago, but I found it when I was searching for a parsnip recipe for the parsnips we received from our CSA. Our whole family loved frying them up like this. Even my husband liked it! He suggested we try making chips out of them next time.

I love fried parsnips (combined with carrots). I use a cast iron wok over a gas flame, set to low. The cooking process takes half an hour, with regular stirring. I use peanut oil, rather than butter, in which too cook, as peanut oil doesn’t burn. Butter is okay, as long as its clarified. At the beginning of the cooking process, I throw in some salt. At the last two minutes of cooking, I throw in some sugar, which deepens the browning of the vegetable and adds sweetness.

One large parsnip with two carrots is one serving, as far as I am concerned. If I were eating at the home of the author of this recipe, and only two large parsnips were served up to me and four other diners, I would declare a dinner table war. It would not be a pretty picture, and I’d probably never be invited back.

I don’t understand why so few people enjoy parsnips. At my local Ralphs supermarket, I always have to remind the cashiers what the SKU number is for this vegetable, because it is rare that it gets sold, I guess.

Parsnips are sweet. They have a starchy-proteinous quality about them. They also deliver a light taste of parsley. They’re also good steamed (along with carrots, again).

There’s something very inviting about combining parsnips and carrots. They have a similar look, and their flavors complement each other.

• Islandrosie says

We may not like them because we believed Ogden Nash:
      “The parsnip, children, I repeat,
      is simply an anemic beet.
      Some people call the parsnip edible,
      myself? I find this claim incredible!”

But now, as an older woman, I, too find them very edible!