Free Webinar: Easy Steps to Real Food 2012

Real Food Goals 2012

“Where do I start?” is perhaps the most common question people ask about transitioning to real foods and traditional foods. They’re facing a mental hurdle — not only understanding the changes that must be made, but figuring out what to do first (and second and third).

Most people benefit from a big picture understanding, no matter what the topic is. Homesteading, keeping chickens, milking a cow, sourdough baking, lacto-fermentation, cooking traditional foods. Just knowing where you’re headed gives important direction and understanding.

But let’s not forget the importance of actually prioritizing what steps to take, and getting over the mental hurtle of seeing yourself doing it.

I know we’ve all been in this position: wanting to learn a new skill, but lacking the confidence and know-how to actually do it for the first time. It feels too hard, too unknown.

But when we see a video of it being done, or a friend shows us how, or a really good author makes all the steps simple and clear — suddenly we know we can do it. And then we do.

Why is this so? In my case, it is usually because I finally got my head around the whole process — the mental hurdle thing. But most importantly, I saw myself doing it. Then I did it.

Transitioning to Real Foods

Learning to cook and serve traditional, real foods is no different. It is a skill that must be learned.

But first we need to understand what we’re doing and where we’re going. This is the hardest part. The actual cooking is the easiest.

If you want to transition to real foods but you feel overwhelmed by the process and don’t know where to start, my next free webinar is for YOU.

Easy Steps to Real Food in 2012 — Free Webinar

This is what you’ll learn:

• How to prioritize your real food diet changes
  • Which real foods offer the best health benefits
  • Simple guidelines for making periodic, painless changes… starting right away!
  • My best time-saving and energy-saving tips… so you can do more with less work
  • And more!

The goals: to help you get your head around what you need to do, to assist you in prioritizing the changes that are right for your family, and to get you seeing yourself as a real food, traditional cook.

Plus… all webinar attendees will receive a FREE recipe & tip booklet.

Please join me on Friday, January 6 at 1pm Pacific for this free, hour-long event.

Click here for details and registration info for the “Easy Steps to Real Food in 2012″ Free Webinar.

This webinar is first-come, first-served. Not all who register will attend, and space is limited. You must register to attend the live event or the replay, and to get the free booklet.

I can’t wait to see you there!

And Now: A Question for You

What tips would you share for newbies to real foods and traditional foods? Leave a comment below with your best advice or encouragement.

I’ll be sharing some of your best tips in the webinar. Thanks!

Do you love GNOWFGLINS?

Help us keep this site going by becoming a member! As a member, you get:

• access to 8 online classes (and counting!)
  • 100s of videos and print tutorials
  • eBook discounts
  • monthly learning bonus
  • access to exclusive forums

Comments

1. Jeff Buller via Facebook says

Going to REAl food is worth every transitional pain and every adjustment you have to make! I encourage everyone to definitely check into changing your diet for your health.

2. Shreela says

I signed up and hope I remember it this time, since the ONLY times I check my email is when I’m signing up for something. Hopefully it’ll be on the newsfeed since I check it everyday, thanks!

I think the best way to start with traditional foods is with pastured eggs cooked in grass fed butter.

1) pastured eggs are awesome, and seeking out a good source will start the education process.
    2) it is an easy, basic meal to start cooking with, even for someone who has never cooked.
    3) it starts the process of learning about traditional and saturated fats ( the difference in eggs cooked in non stick spray and butter or lard is amazing)
    4) sourcing grass fed butter starts the education process for dairy, and the health benefits of grass fed products.

Looking forward to the webinar!

4. Barrie says

I think watching Wardee’s videos on how to eat and prepare traditional foods have helped me tremendously. When you start feeling better because of the changes you’ve made it makes you want to continue and learn more. My biggest tip is don’t get discouraged if something you make doesn’t turn out (which has happened to me). It’s a learning experience, don’t give up!

Getting real food from trusted sources was the first step on our journey to truly crossing the line into real food and traditional cooking.

Before that, we thought we knew all about real food. But when we had to start worrying about gluten cross-contamination it opened our eyes to the processing that goes on behind the scenes in even “organic” foods. Before that, we’d been cooking from scratch a lot, but still felt fine about buying some processed stuff from Trader Joe’s.

Now that we had all these great, real foods, we had to learn what to do with them. That’s where sites like this blog, cookbooks like Nourishing Traditions and the 1975 Joy of Cooking, and Wild Fermentation came in!

In our “Starting GAPS” post there is a list of foods to find good sources for as well as how to get set up for things like fermenting, dehydrating, slow roasting, and the like.

If you have some missteps, or can’t do it all at once don’t worry. Add one real food at a time – stock and yogurt are great ones to start with – and then take it from there!
    -Joy

6. Brenda says

I have been thinking about the beginning steps quite a bit. My mother read Adele Davis’ book “Let’s eat right to keep fit” and “Let’s have healthy children” and it reinforced many of the ideas she had from her upbringing. When I first got married (30 years ago) I read “More with Less” cookbook. My daughter purchased “Nourishing Traditions” after she had been married a few years. Now all 3 of us have a passion for helping each other and sharing info and resources. Today my daughter gave my DIL-to-be a cookbook. She is learning to cook while my son is deployed. Though a college graduate, and a member of a large family, she never really has done any cooking. She is motivated and it will be a joy to be a resource to her. We’ll start with our own meat (chicken, sheep, deer) and eggs and garden and move on from there. Wait ’til she sees the toothpaste I created this week. . .

7. Jill says

1. Do not buy snacky foods for the next two trips to the store
    2. Give away your prepackaged foods to the food bank
    3. Stock up on a few veggies that you like
    4. Search Wardee’s site on how to prep them. Some of my faves are sweet pot fries, sauteed okra and garlic, roasted asparagus with fresh parm and lemon, evoo and salt, and greens
    5. If your brother is a hunter like mine, then you can fill your freezer with kosher, wild-roaming meat for free, since it’s illegal here in SC to buy or sell it.
    6. I’m a beginner too..

8. Amy says

The thing that helps me the most to cook and serve real foods is to have a plan. If I don’t take the time each week to plan our meals, I find that I don’t have the beans or rice soaked when I want to use them, or the chicken thawed and cooked, etc.

One of the first things I did when changing our diets was to NOT tell the family! What they don’t know won’t hurt them, right? And you know how kids and husbands don’t like change very well, they fight it all the way don’t they! Lol. So I started making my own convenience foods from scratch, things that were already comfort foods and familiar like hamburger helper and macaroni and cheese. You know what? They loved them even more!

I’m still starting the journey, but one of the best tips I can think of is start with what is easiest for you. Some may have easy access to raw milk, others pastured eggs, or organic/pastured meat. The easiest for me was pastured meat- I have a great farm, literally just down the road, that sells amazing meat. The hardest is raw milk as it’s illegal here! Do what you can to start with and slowly build over time as you source new foods.

Looking forward to the webinar, I loved the one on Easy Sourdough :) I think I may be brave enough to try it now!

11. Gabriella says

Rats. I can’t make it. I have to work (4 PM-I’m in Ohio/eastern time.) :-( Oh well, perhaps there will be another webinar in the near future… By the way, GREAT suggestions everyone. I agree, pastured eggs cooked in butter (even supermarket butter-or fat rendered from bacon-if you can’t find grass fed butter) is an easy way to start eating real food. You can also try making your own yogurt or fermented veggies fairly easily. I love this way of eating!