10 Tips for Happy, Healthy Holidays

The holidays are upon us — can you feel it? I feel a little bit of excitement, but on the other hand some trepidation. I don’t enjoy added stress and bustle. I’m a homebody through and through. I’ve been thinking about what things I’m purposing to do for myself and my family to help us stay healthy and happy into January 2012 — and I want to share these tips with you. Be sure to add any tips of your own in the comments.

1. Lighten up your social calendar. Think through upcoming holiday activities. Can you cut any? Combine any? Being on the go-go-go all the time isn’t good for anyone. Choose quality over quantity.

2. Get enough sleep. Getting enough rest is one of the cornerstones of good health. Do whatever you can to ensure at least eight hours of uninterrupted sleep each night. I know, it can’t always be done. Babies and workload interfere. Try your best and turn to tip #3 to make up for any deficits.

3. Take naps. When the little ones nap, take a nap yourself. A Song for a Fifth Child by Ruth Hamilton (1958) says: “The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, for children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.” I apply that to Mamas and Daddys and kiddoes as well — the cobwebs will keep until tomorrow while we get much-needed rest!

4. Drink plenty of water (or tea). Stay hydrated!

5. Plan simple, nourishing meals.  Less is more. If you’re adding extra activities into your life for the next month+, cut yourself some slack in the kitchen. A stressed mama is not a happy mama. A stressed mama is more likely to get sick and run-down. And then everyone really suffers!

6. Fill up on nourishing meals with plenty of satiating healthy fats like butter and coconut oil, so you’re less likely to crave or indulge in holiday treats.

7. Let yourself indulge in a few holiday treats. :) It is a special time of year. If you’re so inclined, don’t deny yourself the pleasure.

8. Get plenty of Vitamin D to prevent disease and recover from stress. Not synthetic vitamin D (which fortifies store-bought milk). Use real food sources like: fermented (natural) cod liver oil; pastured animal fats (such as grass-fed butter, ghee, lard and tallow); wild herring, wild mackerel, and wild salmon; pastured egg yolks; and liver from pastured animals. (source)

9. Practice happy thoughts of thanksgiving. Don’t underestimate the healing power and spiritual growth that comes from positive, Godly thankful thinking. “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” –Philippians 4:8 “…for of the abundance of the heart, his mouth speaks.” –Luke 6:45

10. Pray for God’s blessings on your life and health — and thank Him for every good gift. He is the true author of health, giving each of us breath and life. “For you have formed my inward parts: you have covered me in my mother’s womb.” –Psalm 139:13

I hope your holidays are blessed and joyful! What tips would you add? Please share in the comments.

Photo credit: eclaire

This post is part of Simple Lives Thursday.

Do you love GNOWFGLINS?

Help us keep this site going by becoming a member! As a member, you get:

• access to 8 online classes (and counting!)
  • 100s of videos and print tutorials
  • eBook discounts
  • monthly learning bonus
  • access to exclusive forums

Comments

1. Kristie says

I needed to hear the verse that tells us what to think on! These are definite priorities for me. I am asking God to help me with my priorities (all the time, but especially this time of year!)

Thank you, Wardee. This is so true. When I first started blogging I wrote a post called “Slowing Down for Christmas.” I just can’t handle the stress and it really took away from what Christmas is, anyway.

Us natural minded mamas (especially, perhaps, the homeschooling ones) need to remember to cut ourselves some slack. Daily.

Blessings,
    Adrienne

3. elena marshall says

Wardee, thank you for the reminders in this great list. I pray you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family!! Much love, In Him, Elena

You’re right on with this list. I’d add reading aloud. That’s something that always calms and centers us. It’s not an ‘extra thing to do’ but a special treat that we try to increase during special times.

Blessings!

Annie Kate

5. Christine says

Remind myself to take “Gratitude Attitude” breaks throughout the day to give praise and thanksgiving for the simple blessings in our life today that God has given us ~ The Present. Also, to remember on those trying days that “I can start my day over anytime” by The Grace of God. By the power of the Holy Spirit, I can renew my mind and cleanse my heart if I turn to Him. Wishing you ladies all of the blessings of this season and may your joy be a blessing to others to honor and glorify God.

Christine, when I read your words, I immediately checked for any kind of link so that I could connect more fully with you. Thank you for the meaty encouragements! infinitelymore at yahoo dot com is my email if you want to connect with ME!! The website I gave is my daughter’s.

6. Ashley Baird says

My husband and I were led by the Lord recently to cut out many things and to institute Bible memory at dinner and a special family night every week doing things like a dinner date, reading, or games together. Family time is especially important during busy social seasons like Christmas!

Now I am seven weeks pregnant with our second baby, so I’m trying to see what else I can cut out to allow time for extra rest and return to that peaceful state of unhurriedness that we enjoyed for a while.

One important thing for me is walking outdoors and even jogging around in the house. It takes the edge off cabin fever for my two year old and me, and helps us warm up and enjoy healthy food instead of looking to treats to relieve boredom.

7. Jewel says

aww thanks for the tips, i think this should be done not only during special holidays, but everyday. live a happy healthy life!

8. Richard Brownx says

Thanks for providing this useful list of tips.

I vouch up for the first tip of being quality over quantity,saves a lot of time ;-)