Pictures of Lately

What’s been happening in my kitchen lately… I got my book back from the editors last week and spent all my free time (plus) making final edits. That’s why it’s been so quiet on the blog, but life doesn’t stop in the kitchen. ;)

Sauteing chanterelle mushrooms for the freezer. We went hunting again last Monday — I took the video camera along to make this month’s eCourse thank you video.

C. turned 11 and we celebrated at the bowling alley with chocolate sourdough cake.

After many hot summer months of no baking, I ground flour and mixed up a batch of sourdough bread. But instead of using my tried and true recipe, I tried someone else’s. :) I made Katie’s Honey Whole Wheat from both the Sourdough eCourse (shown on video) and the Sourdough A to Z eBook (and here on her blog). It was yummy!

Our olives from Chaffin Family Orchards arrived. The kids and I prepared 20 pounds of Barouni olives for a long cure and ferment, the current lesson in the Lacto-Fermentation eCourse. Six months from now, we’ll be digging in… Patience, patience.

C. wanted sprouts, but this Mama wasn’t getting it done. So he started them himself — and kept taking care of them twice daily. The red clover seeds (on left) don’t seem to be sprouting. It could be the cold weather or perhaps the seeds are old. The lentils did great, as usual. Lentil sprouts are so easy!

Tonight C. made us his specialty lentil sprout salad. Yumm!

What’s been happening in your kitchen?

I’m sharing this post in Simple Lives Thursday.

Comments

Wow you are writing a book as well!!?? You amaze me. Really. Super mum. I made a sourdough banana and walnut bread today. Yummy. Might post the receipe soon.
    Hugs
    D
    x

Deb — Yes, I am writing a book. Well, I think I’m done. :) I spent all summer on it. It is about fermentation and will be out in April 2012.

Please hunt me down when you post your recipe for the banana/walnut bread. I want to see it! :) Hugs to you!

C.’s salad looks really good with red onions and olives! I envy you with the fresh olives! I never even dreamed of doing something like that up north here. :)

Marg — When we lived in Idaho and my grandmother was still alive, my grandmother and mom and all the aunts would order a ton of olives from CA and they would all cure some for each household. I just learned this from my mom — wish I’d paid more attention growing up. ;)

Anyway, you could order some, too and give it a try. It is the season and shipping is free. :)

I tried curing my own olives last year but after 9 months they still didn’t taste good. I might have you check out your e-course. I can buy individual lessons can’t I? I’d love to learn to make queso fresco too….

Katie — We don’t sell individual lessons per se. But subscription fees are low and if you’re just interested in a few lessons, sign up for a month and you can check out just what you’re interested in. Download the instructions for anything you want to refer to later.

You mean your olives still tasted bitter? Or was there something else about them that didn’t taste good?

Thanks Wardee, I wil check that out. I’d love to sign up for a year but that’s not possible. I think I will sign up for a month though. My olives still tasted bitter. Then they got tossed by someone….

4. gracia19 says

Wow! What a super mom! You’re writing a book? And you still have time to blog! You inspire me to do the same thing! Have a great weekend! And thanks for inspiring me!

5. Margret says

I’d love to taste mikah’s salad.So tempting.I’m really craving for salad….I had a great time having around here on your site,Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.