Video: Wild Mushroom (Chanterelle) Hunt

Our first mushrooming hunt of the season was a success! We found a spot for chanterelles about a dozen miles from our home and quite an easy dozen miles at that. Hopefully no one else knows about it. ;)

The friends who introduced us to mushrooming last year went with us one last time. They wanted to help us find “our” spot — because last year we traveled an hour and a half to get what we got.

We brought home a paper shopping bag full of chanterelles and I consider that a success. I don’t know how many pounds it is. We’ll go back at least weekly through the end of the mushrooming season. Last year I froze diced and sauteed chanterelles to eat for the rest of the year. This year I want to learn how to dehydrate them, too. And I might try pickling them.

Here are some pictures from the video slideshow above. The slideshow has lots more pictures and it is short, so give it a watch. :)

Along with the chanterelles, we found a rough-skinned newt, Oregon grape and C. in a tree. :)

Do you hunt for mushrooms? What kinds and where do you live? How do you preserve them?

Like my free videos? Please subscribe to the GNOWFGLINS Channel on YouTube — and give this or any other video a thumbs-up!

I’m sharing this in Simple Lives Thursday.

Comments

1. Rosa Paulucci Machado says

Beautiful! My city is very big and I only can buy ( champignons).About the fruits, they are very
    expensives, because they are imported.

2. Erika Burnett says

I love a productive excuse for a walk in the woods. Great photos, especially the grapes – they look like blueberries! I am interested, I first learned mushrooming living in Switzerland, and they have laws against collecting every week (2 weeks on, 2 off) I know mushrooms grow like crazy, so is that just an outdated thing, or have you heard of any reason for taking a break?

I have always wanted to go mushrooming, but now I don’t really live in mushroom country! (I live in the desert.) But I remember when I lived in Michigan that we would find mushrooms everywhere in the fall. Back then, I didn’t know I could take them home for dinner, so I missed my chance!

4. Karen says

Great post! Being outside and enjoying the exercise is wonderful. The best part is that the mushrooms were free! Wardee your hair cut short looks so cute on you! Wish I could add some of those curls to my hair. Thanks.

Mushroom picking is very popular out on the Island simply because there’s so many of them, but I’ve never gone. I would love to go, but feel like I’d want someone to take me the first time. Great photo gallery from your excursion out!

6. Alicia says

I live in Michigan, but have never mushroomed. I would love to! I need to find a spot, how does one find a spot? There is mostly residential areas around us and open farmland. The woody areas I know of are bike trails. I will have to look into this further. Thanks for sharing :)

So great! We are just waiting for a rain and we will be heading out to find our chanterelles :) I will probably dehydrate my excess and use in soups. Your Organ Grape looks so delicious. Many recipes you can use those for.

8. Corri says

We LOVE Chantrelles and got tons of them this year! They are super easy to dehydrate and make great additions to soups throughout the winter. :) We also hunt truffles, which is a pure joy and they taste amazing! The season for truffles is almost here!! Yay. :)

• Corri says

I wanted to add, watch where you are stepping out there. Hubby stepped on a wasp nest this year when he was bending down to get some chantrelles. Also taking a compass is a great idea, we got “lost” and had to cross some water… not exactly what we wanted but it got us to the road. It’s easy to get turned around in the forest, so even marking some trees is a good idea so you can find your way back to your car. :)