Salsa Fresca is one of my favorite condiments. One day, I bought beautiful, local ingredients and couldn’t wait to go home and make it lacto-fermented. But then I realized — I had forgotten to purchase any sort of pepper, be it Anaheim, jalapeno or even Bell.
But I went ahead with my plan, as I did not want to lose any of the freshness of the Farmers’ Market produce. The salsa turned out beautifully and my family loved it. The result? Roma Fresca. I could not be more excited to share it with you.
You need just a few ingredients:
- 5 large roma tomatoes (skins peeled*, seeded and chopped)
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced (you can use any onion, though sweet onions are easier on the eyes and taste just as good as a yellow onion)
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons whey**
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon sea salt (first time making it do 1/2 tablespoon as it is easier to add then take away!)
*To peel tomatoes, submerge in boiling water for 5 seconds. This skin will peel off nicely.
Makes 1 quart. Add all ingredients to a large bowl. Lightly mash/pound to release juices. Stir well. Fill a wide-mouth quart jar. Leave out at room temperature overnight to allow fermentation to begin before placing in fridge.
Use your Roma Fresca on top of steaks, fish, or chicken for a mouth watering combination. Also use it with chips as a mild salsa. This tastes fresh and wonderful and lasts for 1 to 2 months in cold storage.
Do you love salsa, too? What are your favorite salsa ingredients? Got special techniques or tips to share?
Want more fermented recipes or instructions? From pickles and krauts to relishes and salsas, to chutneys and beverages, we’ve got you covered in our GNOWFGLINS membership fermentation class or the Lacto-Fermentation eBook.
This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting GNOWFGLINS with your purchases.
Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!
Provide your family with healthy, delicious, nourishing meals! As a member, you get:
- 100s of videos in bite-size pieces
- Weekly meal plans for you and your family*
- Access to 8 online classes
- Exclusive recipes
- and more!
*included in premium membership