Nikki’s Roma Fresca

Salsa Fresca is one of my favorite condiments. One day, I bought beautiful, local ingredients and couldn’t wait to go home and make it lacto-fermented. But then I realized — I had forgotten to purchase any sort of pepper, be it Anaheim, jalapeno or even Bell.

But I went ahead with my plan, as I did not want to lose any of the freshness of the Farmers’ Market produce. The salsa turned out beautifully and my family loved it. The result? Roma Fresca. I could not be more excited to share it with you.

Nikki's Roma Fresca | Looking for a delicious recipe for a fresh tomato salsa? Make this lacto-fermented salsa with vegetables from from the garden or found at the farmers market. Dip in your chips or use it to top steaks, chicken, fish or more. | GNOWFGLINS.com

You need just a few ingredients:

• 5 large roma tomatoes (skins peeled*, seeded and chopped)
  • 1 medium sweet onion, diced (you can use any onion, though sweet onions are easier on the eyes and taste just as good as a yellow onion)
  • 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 4 tablespoons whey**
  • 1/2 to 1 tablespoon sea salt (first time making it do 1/2 tablespoon as it is easier to add then take away!)

*To peel tomatoes, submerge in boiling water for 5 seconds. This skin will peel off nicely.

**If you prefer a dairy-free ferment, use a veggie starter culture like Caldwell’s or Body Ecology.

Makes 1 quart. Add all ingredients to a large bowl. Lightly mash/pound to release juices. Stir well. Fill a wide-mouth quart jar. Leave out at room temperature overnight to allow fermentation to begin before placing in fridge.

Use your Roma Fresca on top of steaks, fish, or chicken for a mouth watering combination. Also use it with chips as a mild salsa. This tastes fresh and wonderful and lasts for 1 to 2 months in cold storage.

Do you love salsa, too? What are your favorite salsa ingredients? Got special techniques or tips to share?

Want more fermented recipes or instructions? From pickles and krauts to relishes and salsas, to chutneys and beverages, we’ve got you covered in our GNOWFGLINS membership fermentation class or the Lacto-Fermentation eBook.

Comments

1. Kristin says

This looks so yummy, but I’m wondering if something else can be used instead of whey. I don’t tolerate dairy well, so I don’t buy it. I know whey doesn’t usually cause the same kinds of problems as regular milk, but I hate to waste a bunch of yogurt just to get a bit of whey. Can lemon juice or vinegar be used instead?

I don’t see why not! Salsa tends to can very well. As I have never canned this recipe, all I can say is give it a try and please let us know how it turned out!

• Lea says

When canning anything with tomatoes, you need extra acid. Add a Tbs. (I add more..love lemon). The lemon actually enhances the flavors.

2. Lucy duke says

Could I use raw apple cider with the mother as the culture? Also do I should I put a lid on it, when its sitting out overnight
    Thanks Lucy

• deb P says

Hi Lucy,

I know Wardee has some pickle recipes that ferment with apple cider added to it. I have personally made them from her Fermentation for Idiots book. They are pretty good!! Yes, you would need to put the lid on while it is fermenting overnight or even for a few days. Hope this help!! :)

3. Millie says

This is call Pico De Gallo served with fajitas or just on tacos. I am in San Antonio so good can’t be without it.

• deb P says

Hi Jessica

I’m not familiar with water kefir. But, I do make homemade Kefir from grains & whole milk Yogurt. The liquid you get from these is what you use in the fermented veggies. Not sure if water kefir contains the same Lactobacillius (I know I spelled this wrong, oops), Acidophilus and other enzymes, microbes that the Dairy cultures do.

Wardee might know the answer to these questions . . .

I love this and eat it on eggs and a doz other things , but I wondered why you take the skins off the tomatoes ?? I use Braggs soy for the salt …and also put in the green peppers also from my garden…or for that matter anything else I have hanging around , cukes and Zukes …fresh peas and green beans ….My family chows on it…oh and I spice mine up with some hot sause.
    Thank you for blog ….

5. Elena says

did I read this correctly?! Lime is not in your recipe??? My husband is Mexican – they call this Pico
    De Gallo minus the whey and garlic – I agree garlic adds more intense flavor but you didn’t include the lime?!!! Lime just brings it all together – I
    Make it fresh at home too but I include red pepper flakes for some good heat :-)

1. […] Nikki’s Lacto-Fermented Roma Fresca. Use Roma Fresca on top of steaks, fish, or chicken for a mouth watering combination. Or, with chips as a mild salsa. You’ll find more fermented salsa recipes in my book, The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Fermenting Foods and in my online class in Lacto-Fermentation. […]

2. […] Nikki’s Lacto-Fermented Roma Fresca. Use Roma Fresca on top of steaks, fish, or chicken for a mouth watering combination. Or, with chips as a mild salsa. You’ll find more fermented salsa recipes in my book, The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Fermenting Foods and in my online class in Lacto-Fermentation. […]