Kifta is a staple meatloaf mixture that forms the basis for many Arabic main dishes, raw and cooked. This meatloaf, kiftet batatta (meatloaf with potatoes), is topped with potatoes for an easy main dish and features spring parsley. I serve it with a seasonal salad. Enjoy!
Kiftet Batatta (Arabic Meatloaf with Potatoes)
- 3 medium to medium-large potatoes, peeled and boiled, then sliced into 3/8” slices
- 2 pounds ground lamb (or ground beef)
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 1 cup parsley leaves, finely chopped (or 1/3 cup dried)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 28-ounce can or jar tomato sauce
- additional sea salt, pepper, and parsley
Serves 6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine ground lamb or beef, onions, parsley, salt and pepper and mix well. Press into deep square baking dish. Top with sliced potatoes.
To the tomatoes, add a pinch each of salt, pepper and fresh or dried parsley. Mix. Pour (most or all) over potatoes and lamb mixture. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until lamb is cooked. Remove from oven. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
How’s your weather? We’ve had a rainy week here and it promises to continue through the weekend. Yet, we’re still planning to garden tomorrow at our friends’ because there’s weeding to be done, lettuce and spinach to harvest, and peas to string — rain or shine. Have a wonderful weekend, all!
This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting GNOWFGLINS with your purchases.
I want to help you look good, feel good, and do good...
... with 100s of videos and recipes, step-by-step tutorials, and easy-to-implement weekly menu plans.
It's the healthiest, tastiest, and most natural food you've ever imagined... the way God meant you to prepare it. As a member, you get:
- 100s of videos in bite-size pieces
- Weekly meal plans for you and your family
- Access to 9 traditional cooking classes
- Exclusive recipes
- and more!