Free Video: Tortilla (Spanish Omelet)

I first learned about tortillas — not the bread kind, but the Spanish omelet kind — on the BBC TV River Cottage series with Hugh Fernley-Whitingstall. You saute and cook various ingredients (potatoes, meats, onions, veggies, beans, etc.) and then pour whisked eggs overtop. When cooked, the eggs set the whole mixture into a pie — or a Spanish omelet.

(By the way, that link goes to the various River Cottage DVDs on Amazon. The DVDs are from the UK and are not playable on most DVD players in the US. We use a laptop with a Region 2 playable DVD player to view the episodes.)

Hugh demonstrated flipping the tortilla in the pan to finish cooking the eggs, which honestly I have not bothered to figure out. I pop the tortilla in the oven, instead! Someday when I’m cooking a tortilla over an open fire, I’ll get a crash course in flipping. :) Have you flipped a tortilla?

This online tortilla recipe from Hugh Fernley-Whitingshall describes the flipping technique.

In this week’s video, I’m making a tortilla for dinner — basically a complete meal — out of thinly sliced potatoes, thinly sliced onions, garlic, leftover baked wild salmon, and of course, eggs. :) Enjoy! The print recipe is just below, too.

Like my free videos? Please subscribe to the GNOWFGLINS Channel on YouTube — and give this or any other video a thumbs-up!

Wild Salmon Tortilla (Spanish Omelet)

Of course you can use whatever ingredients you have! I have been making one or two tortillas a week for a few weeks, and each one is different. I add leftovers for endless variety and flavor — and of course, frugality. :)

• butter — about 1/2 stick
  • 3 to 4 pounds of thinly sliced red potatoes
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced or crushed
  • sea salt, pepper and garlic powder
  • leftover cooked wild salmon — or canned wild salmon
  • 12 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • about 1 tablespoon dried dill — or use 3 tablespoons fresh

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Heat the butter over medium heat in a large cast iron skillet. Add the potatoes. Turning frequently, cook for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper during the flipping. Add the onions and garlic, and continue cooking a few minutes until tender. Add salmon chunks, flipping gently to incorporate without breaking them up too much while they warm up. Turn off the stove.

Separately, whisk the eggs with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and dill. Pour over the mixture in the pan. Transfer the pan to the oven for the eggs to cook through and the tortilla set up, about 20 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve.

This is really delicious with chard and feta on the side — or add some steamed greens right into the tortilla!

Do you make tortillas? What are your favorite ingredients?

I shared this post in Simple Lives Thursday.

Comments

1. teresa white says

Thanks Wardee,
    I have been looking for more recipes with eggs. We have 12 layers now and just 2 of us makes for lots of eggs..I love omelets but this sounds and looks much yummier! I love watching your videos and this one was no exception.
    Now if I could get my sourdough bread to turn out like yours. I am taking the course but my bread has been bricks so far even with making sure the dome is active.

Teresa — That’s alot of layers for 2 people. ;) Our neighbors had 6 layers for the two of them so they were giving us dozens of eggs each week — very nice! Then they decided to do more traveling and gave the layers to us, and now we give them a dozen eggs each week.

I am hopeful with practice your sourdough bread will improve. There are so many factors beyond the dome being active — stop on by the forums after your next attempt (or before it) so we can talk through everything. I’d love to help.

Wardee, I had something similar to this this morning. I sauteed some leftover diced baked potato, some leftover already sauteed onions and mushrooms, a chopped up turkey burger, some spinach, added an eggwhite and a whole egg. The feta cheese on top. It was quite yummy.
    Patty H.

We call this a frittata-my husband makes them almost every weekend! (He is the master with the eggs). They are a great way to use up bits of leftovers-veggies that are shriveling, a leftover piece of meat, etc. The combinations are endless.

This is similar to the Fratta I make. I usually just cook up whatever veggies I have and then pour the eggs over it. Thanks for sharing. I looks yummy :)

5. Dee says

making this tonight w/canned roast beef out of our pantry! – trying to find ways to make the canned meat more palatable!

Love it! I’ve made something similar, but never with so many potatoes, sliced thin. A great way to use leftover potatoes, as well as meat/fish. Thanks for sharing!

Katy — Potatoes sliced thin is a new thing for me, and I love it! They cook so fast, the bottom ones get crisp, and they soak in all that butter deliciously. :)

I lived in Spain, and the family I lived with would make Bocadillo de Tortilla Espanola for lunch most days…basically French bread with LOTS of mayo and a slab of this dripping in olive oil…The obsession with Mayo was very odd I thought, but very common where I was living in Valencia. They’d add jamon cerano (cured ham) and big chunks of potatoes instead.

Citysister — That sounds surprisingly good. Was it real mayo — then bring it on! ;) I love hearing of cultural foods, thanks for sharing!

8. Elizabeth says

I also make these, calling them a frittata. Unfotunately, I relied on them for quick dinners too often and my son got tired of them. It never occurred to me that they could be flipped! I finish them under the broiler with cheese on top.

Elizabeth — Oh, that’s a bummer! And they’re so good, with endless variety. Maybe one of these days he’ll forget being tired of them. They are quick and easy. I love to do them with cheese on top, too!

9. maria says

I made something similar for dinner last night, before seeing your post! A great tip is to make it without potatoes but with your favourite pizza toppings and chunks of mozzarella cheese, for a completely grain free “pizza”.

Maria — That’s a great idea! Sounds delicious. :) I was wondering, do you consider potatoes grains, or are you more thinking of keeping out all starches? I’ve noticed that some people eat potatoes on a grain-free diet and others don’t, is why I’m asking.

• maria says

Wardee, I wouldn’t say potatoes are grains, they can be included in a grain free diet as far as i’m concerned. The reason I didn’t include them in the “pizza” recipe was that my family would probably not let me get away with claiming it was pizza if it had potatoes in it! My husband is usually game to try new dishes, but he likes the traditional stuff, too :-)

10. Kelli says

I like to make frittatas to use up our chicken’s eggs. You place the pan under the broiler and broil until the top browns slightly. Then I let it cool a little on the stove top which also finishes setting the eggs. We use chopped potatoes, but the sliced ones you used look good for creating layers with the egg and potato.

Kelli — That’s great you’re getting lots of eggs! We are finally getting lots of eggs now that we bought some hens to add to the flock. The ducks were not that reliable layers and tended to lay eggs where we couldn’t find them. ;) Thanks for sharing what you do!

My mouth is watering looking at this video! I cannot wait to make this! Thanks for sharing, especially the video. You are such a blessing! :) kel

12. Michelle says

Potatoes (and corn) are usually considered grains when doing a grain-free diet. As far as our body is concerned, they are recognized as grains not veggies.

Oh, I grew up on these! I can tell you how to flip them. :) There is a 9-step process, or a 1-step process.

1. Take a plate larger than the pan
    2. Place it over the top of your pan, face down, like a lid
    3. If you are right handed, hold the pan handle with your right hand
    4. Place your left hand on top of the (bottom of the) plate, spread flat and wide
    5. Flip pan upside down, so that your left hand is now holding the plate and the pan is kind of resting on top like a chafing lid
    6. Remove pan
    7. Take pan, put it back on stove
    8. Slide tortilla from plate back into pan. The raw underneath part hits the pan and the cooked top part will be on top.
    9. Finish cooking.

One step process that both my mom and I use:

1. Get husband to do it.

I like the one step process best. :) The 9-step process seems alot like what I saw on the River Cottage show — but to tell the truth I got confused with all the plates and flips!

14. tara says

I’ve been wanting to try this since you posted about it, but haven’t gotten to it. So this morning for our special christmas eve breakfast celebrating our son coming home I’m making it. Merry Christmas Wardee!

15. Jeny Buckley via Facebook says

LOVE these! My sister in law is Spanish, and taught me about these wonderful platefuls of goodness!