4 No-Wait Sourdough Recipes

Usual routine when souring flour: mix dough, let sour for 8 hours, finish dough, cook. Now, that’s not hard.

But what if I said you could skip the whole sour-for-at-least-8-hours-thing, yet put the same quality of nourishing food on the table? In other words, without the wait? You can and I just did (say it). Yes, it can be done! Easily. Deliciously. Nourishingly.

How? Use leftover sourdough starter instead of flour. You’re keeping a sourdough starter alive and fed, right? (Right?) Well, take a scoop or two of it and create any one of these four delicious recipes almost instantly. No planning!

By the way, the reason this can be done, still nourishingly, is because the flour is already done being soured in the starter. Aim to feed your starter and then use it 12 to 24 hours later in one of the following recipes.

All of the following recipes are demonstrated on in the Sourdough eCourse or in detailed print in the “Sourdough A to Z” eBook. Come on over!

1. Impossible Sourdough Pie — Endless Sweet or Savory Variations!

What you need instead of flour: 3/4 cup of leftover sourdough starter.

Find this recipe in the Sourdough eCourse or in the brand-new “Sourdough A to Z” eBook (companion book to the eCourse).

Remember those Bisquick impossible pies? You mix up bisquick into a batter and pour it over a pan full of other ingredients, bake, and voila — an impossible pie with endless variations. But not so good for you. Our impossible sourdough pie springs from that idea — and credit for this genius stroke goes to my fellow eCourse teacher and friend, Erin.

Instead of Bisquick, we use sourdough starter as the batter base, and pour it over a pan-ful of add-ins. Then bake in a hot oven and voila — instant and nourishing sweet or savory bread pies. In the Sourdough eCourse, members have come up with these variations: taco, Mexican, peas-n-tuna, broccoli-n-cheese, chili, veggie-n-cheese, and more. There are possibilities to make brownie pies, pumpkin pies, and other sweet pies — I myself am still working on those. Erin’s made a few good ones. :)

Last weekend, I made three savory dinner pies using the Middle Eastern spice blend za’atar with leftover meat. My husband got home from work yesterday and said, “Can we have another pie for dinner tonight?” I said, “I guess so!” and literally I made it without any planning or prep because the sourdough starter was there. We were eating dinner in less than 40 minutes — by the time the kids got in from the barn chores.

You can learn all about our impossible sourdough pie technique exclusively in the Sourdough eCourse or “Sourdough A to Z” eBook. The eCourse and eBook documents include the basic impossible sourdough pie basic recipe plus variations (plus all the other sourdough recipes from the class).

2. Fluffy Sourdough Pancakes

sourdough pancakes

What you need instead of flour: 2 cups of leftover sourdough starter.

Find the recipe here on the blog, in the “Sourdough A to Z” eBook, or on video in the in the online class.

These are fluffier than any pancake you’ve ever had, thanks to Erin’s easy no-flip cooking technique! We love them. And they’re easy. Just mix up starter with eggs, oil, sweetener (I usually skip it), and baking soda and you’ll be serving a nourishing breakfast in record time.

3. Sourdough Waffles

sourdough waffles

What you need instead of flour: 2 cups of leftover sourdough starter.

Pretty much as easy as the pancakes above, you’re mixing starter, egg, oil, and a few other ingredients to delight your family with waffles in very little time.

4. Sourdough Crepes

sourdough crepes

What you need instead of flour: 1 cup of leftover sourdough starter.

We love crepes and eat them several times a week. (Check out my ideas for eating crepes here.) With this recipe, a little goes a llllooooonnnnnnggggg way. Meaning, you get alot of crepes out of 1 cup of starter. When I make crepes, I eat at least one fresh off the pan smeared with generous butter. The kids like a little peanut butter and raw honey. We dip them in soups, or make wraps or burritos. They make the world’s best tortilla chips. Do check out more ideas here.

What do you think of these? Going to give them a try? Do you know of any other quick recipes that make use of leftover sourdough starter? Please share! I’m always looking for more ideas.

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes

Comments

1. Pam Groom says

I love these ideas. As I was trying to reactivate a new spelt starter, I had excess starter. Instead of tossing the less than vibrant excess, I made pancakes. Even though the yeasts weren’t fully established, I knew the baking powder would give me the lift I needed to create pancakes anyway.
    I’m looking forward to trying the impossible pie as I continue my foray into spelt after being gluten free for about a year. Thanks for the ideas!
    Pam

Pam — Baking soda and starter are a powerful combination. :) I love that baking soda sweetens up the starter, making the dish not so sour. I’m really happy the spelt sourdough is working so well for you.

saved me…. just brought my grand kids home, what for dinner…. lets see if Wardee has an idea for me and there you had just the right thing. Some how I missed this one in the lessons. I’m making mine with left overs: black beans , some roast and cheese… Hope they like it:} Think I’ll add a spinach, orange, coconut milk smoothie and we are set:}

hey!
    not to get tooo picky – but on of the reasons -in fact, the MAIN reason for souring grains is to reduce the high content of mal-digested gluten, and to reduce the anti-nutrients in the grains (in all grains i’m afraid) that rob the meal and ultimately the body of essential minerals and nutrients –

skipping the souring is kinda like going to the gym but skipping the workout – grains really are not very healthy without soaking, souring or sprouting…
    Ravi
    Daiasolgaia

Ravi — I completely agree with you.

And actually, I would never suggest skipping soaking, sprouting or souring.

In these recipes, the grain is actually already and entirely soured because it’s been in the sourdough starter for about 12 hours already. I see I didn’t explain that very well up in the post, did I? :)

But that’s the whole point. You can skip the souring because it has already taken place within the starter.

aaahhh – gotcha – yes – of course if you use ONLY starter – then the 8 hours of souring HAS been done – sorry i didn’t pick up on that –

one of my biggest bugs about traditional souring is that there are no studies done on the actual reduction of all the baddies in grains by souring – how long, what cultures need to be used, etc etc – my hunch – especially with the gluten grains – is that it takes waaay more than 8 hours to completely negate the ill-effects of gluten (more than 8 hours for the souring to pre-digest the gluten) – but that said – the baddies are clearly substantially reduced by souring (a la Weston Price observations)

if you or anyone reading this knows of research studies done measuring the ACTUAL REDUCTION of gluten and phytates, i’d love to know of them (and i already know about that fairly recent one where a 30% gluten grain was soured for celiacs – not a very well designed study actually…)
    thanks
    Ravi

Ravi — The article(s) I know of are by Rami Negal at the WAPF website. He’s got one about phytates that quotes one source saying all phytates are removed in sourdough bread after 8 hours of souring at a fairly warm temperature (if I remember correctly).

I would agree that 8 hours doesn’t take care of all the gluten. My bread, after 12 to 15 hours of souring still has good gluten development. So while my method isn’t scientific, it still confirms for my purposes that the gluten is still there. And on the other hand, since my daughter can eat it with a good souring, I feel confident that it is partially broken down — else she’d have serious symptoms.

Thanks for the ideas! I’ve just started working with sourdough, and it’s a very easy thing to end up with excess starter. Plus, this way I can use starter that’s been around long enough to make sure the gluten is well broken down.

6. Christie says

I made German pancake/Dutch Baby/Puffed Oven Pancake this morning with 1-1/2 cups starter and 4 eggs, baked 20 minutes at 425. It didn’t puff up though. But it was tasty!

I was just thinking about dutch babies last night and wondering if you could pull that off with sourdough starter…I will have to play around with it and see what happens…we love dutch babies with buttery apples, but i want to convert to entirely soaked/soured grains so i haven’t been making them much.

• Susan says

Dawn,
        Did you ever come up with a recipe for sourdough dutch baby pancakes with apples? I have been after this kind of recipe for ages!

They liked it. I made it with some black beans chili that I had made and added some cheese. I think it would be good if I had put in some cornmeal… kind of like a tamale pie. I let them put some sour cream to the top and that is really their favorite part and good for them too.
    Dip dip as they call it is their favorite. Wish I could find some cream that isn’t ultra cultured so I could make it myself. I am able to buy Tillamook with live culture and it is almost local for me:} and they say their cow aren’t treated with artificial growth hormone.

• Kirsten Evans says

I have found a cream in the market that’s not ultra-pasturized that I use for creme fraiche/sour cream. Kalona offers a gently pasturized (155 deg., I think) that’s not homogenized and for me, in Amarillo, TX, it’s $5.89 qt.. I simply cannot afford the $8 per pint of raw cream our milk guy has. I make it in quart jars and our family of 6 goes through it fast. $16 qt. would put me over the top, for sure, as would his $10 for a pint of his raw sour cream. Not gonna happen. Perhaps one day, but today’s not that day. lol

So, I just started a sourdough starter a few weeks ago and haven’t used it yet. How do I know if it’s ready to use in one of these recipes? It bubbles and gets bigger but not double. It’s only in the 60′s Fahrenheit in my kitchen most of the time (and I don’t have an oven light, we just bake in a mini-oven). And is there any reason I couldn’t just try my young starter in something like pancakes where rising isn’t too important?

9. Rhonda says

I have been loving these quick sourdough recipes. I have been making a chili version with great success.

I have been experimenting with sweet versions of the “Bisquick” pie too. Has anyone perfected a brownie version they’d like to share? or maybe pumpkin?

Rhonda

10. Emily Lansing says

This “Impossible Sourdough Pie” sounds delicious! I am trying to find the recipe on the Sourdough E-Course, is it the same recipe title, “Pot Pie” (Lesson 21)?

Thanks for all that you do, Wardeh, we value it so much!!

11. Kaarin Puhala says

I just started using sourdough and am experimenting. I’m confused about the reference to “leftover starter”. That makes it sound like I would make sourdough bread, then have some leftover starter to use up. I don’t want to use it up, right? I want to keep my starter perpetually, continue to feed it, and use it frequently. Is this correct?

• Julie says

Yes; usually the “leftover starter” refers to starter that some people would throw out as they are feeding and building up their starter. You get to the point where there is too much starter for its container. This is a way to use up the starter that may not be perfectly ready for bread, but works fine when yeast is supplemented with baking soda or a good rise isn’t so necessary.

12. Kathy says

How do you make the starter can you tell me that. For I would want to make some to do my bread and everything else. Think you