Simple Tool: Danish Dough Whisk

Thanks to recently reading Surviving Off Off-Grid, I am often asking myself, “How would I complete [this electrified task] if I didn’t have electricity?”

Now this could be a despair-inducing exercise, but I don’t feel overwhelmed. I admit I have more questions than answers at this point! But, the process is exciting.

One task on my mind is how to bake sourdough bread in big batches without my Bosch mixer — I usually bake 6 loaves at a time. A Danish dough whisk (a gift from an eCourse member … you know who you are and thank you!) helps me with this task.

I’m no stranger to kneading dough by hand, and I enjoy that very much. But the kneading is never as difficult as the stage before that — incorporating umpteen cups of flour into a thick batter. A normal wooden spoon with a flat surface offers alot of resistance to the dough; and the dough sticks to the spoon, all of which makes the task quite hard.

Enter the Danish dough whisk. The open spiral shape allows me to incorporate flour into a thick dough with much less resistance. The dough doesn’t cling to this whisk as it would a wooden spoon. I haven’t used it to mix in the entirety of flour, but at least it gets me to the not-so-sticky stage at the end where I can use my hands and a clean surface to work in the rest of the flour.

I like the dough whisk for other tasks, too — like whisking flour into the sourdough starter for a feeding, mixing English muffin dough, or other batters and doughs from the Sourdough eCourse. For smaller tasks or smaller hands, the small whisk is more comfortable.

I’m really glad to have discovered this tool! Have you used a Danish dough whisk? What other hand tools do you find helpful for baking bread in large batches?

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Weekly meal plans for you and your family*
  • Access to 8 online classes

*included in premium membership

Comments

I got one as a gift from one of my best friends (who happens to teach bread making lessons, among other things) and would never want to be without mine again. I use it all the time. Amazingly simple but effective tool.

Have you ever used a spurtle? I have one and really like it for stirring my sourdough starter and mixing oatmeal.

Lisa

2. Pearl says

I have both the large and small and also recommend them. I got mine from breadtopia.com and use them all the time.

I have never even heard of that whisk. I might have to look for one. We make all of our bread by hand (no Bosch) so that would probably be quite helpful.
    My only other ‘hand tool’ for bread making is my manual grain grinder. It takes a bit of arm power to get the grain grinded but it’s not horrible.

Wardee – I have a family grain mill and I really like it. We flake grains with the flaker attachment.

However, the Whisper Mill Junior Mill can also grind nuts and seeds into butters so I am thinking that would be a nice option as well. I haven’t tried it but I would really like it! We currently use our Vitamix for that.

4. Pam Groom says

I have a Danish dough whisk too. I found it at a thrift store of all places! I don’t find it that magical, but it is alot easier to clean off than a standard whisk which you would not want to use for bread anyway. I’m starting to think fingers are the way to go. After seeing Erin handle all that sourdough, I’ve been more willing to dip in and get sticky.

I too would like to find out about a good choice for a manual mill. I like that the Wonder Junior Deluxe does nut butter. I’ve seen the Country Living Grain mill hooked up to a exercise bike (cool). OR The KoMo manual is supposed to come out this year which would have a pretty wooden cabinet and German design.
    Pam

5. RobinP says

I make huge batches in my Electrolux and I’ve wondered the same thing. I’m adding this to my (ever-expanding) shopping list.

6. Mindy says

Did you know that you can purchase a hand crank that fits on your Bosch? It is one of the next things on my list to buy when the funds become available!

7. Katie says

Wardee,
    I also own a whisk like that. I really have not used it, however it looks really neat in my utensil crock. I had to replace a part on my bosch mixer blender, actually it was the funnel for the lid, anyway when I was looking up replacement parts for the bosch I discovered that there is a manual hand crank attachment for your bosch that would allow you to operate your mixer in the event of a power outage. It was only $14.00 so I bought one to have on hand. I really like it because it makes me feel like my mixer would not be a waste of money if we no longer have electricity. It has the nice patented dough hook that I would hate to give up. Anyway I hope that is some good info for you. I am not sure of the website I found it on, I just looked up bosch mixer replacement parts.
    Try kitchen resource 1-800-my-bosch
    Katie

Crazy – i JUST got one of these in the mail as a birthday present from my mama, after lusting after one for a few years now.
    I’m uber excited to try it out!

9. Janeen Breyman says

I have just purchase a dough whisk through King Arthur Flour. They offer two sizes. Can’t wait to try it out!

10. linda says

Love my whisk, just mailed 2 of them as gifts. Found at Kitchen and Company store for 5.99 for the large size, they do not have the small size.
    Keep them clean w/cool water, never hot and a drop or two of olive oil on the handle especially in very dry weather.
    Happy Baking!