Soaked or Sprouted Crepes

cottage-cheese-crepes

Crepes are definitely a go-to staple in our house. Either I have extra sourdough starter sitting around to make an instant batch of sourdough crepes (or the world’s best tortilla chips ever), or I toss some flour (can be sprouted) in a bowl to soak… and we have crepes in about 8 hours. There’s really nothing to it.

And the best part is that my daughters have become crepe making pros. Very helpful because sometimes I get distracted and forget one’s cooking! No fun to fill the house with smoke. We could and do eat crepes with many meals. Here are just some ideas of how we eat crepes:

• breakfast burritos with scrambled eggs
  • fried a bit crispy and a fried egg sandwiched between halves
  • rolled up with lacto-fermented guacamole and sour cream, served alongside any kind of fried egg, egg salad, quiche, or salmon salad (I’ll be sharing that guacamole soon!)
  • rolled up with egg salad, chicken salad, or salmon salad
  • filled up with leftover refried beans and other toppings for quick burritos or wraps
  • as a quesadilla, filled with any combination of yummy fillings, such as refried beans, cheese, salmon salad, leftover meats, or anything else you can dream up!
  • cut and fried into tortilla chips, dipped into guacamole
  • made into tortilla chips and loaded up with toppings for nachos (these are very, very good!)
  • rolled up with homemade jam and nut butter, or jam and cream cheese

With all those ideas (and I’m sure you have more), what’s stopping you from giving crepes a try?

Here’s my basic crepe recipe, which is based off Erin’s sourdough crepe recipe. Whether or not you’re using sprouted flour, the soaking time really improves the texture of the crepes. If the flour is not sprouted, the soaking time improves the digestibility of the grain.

Soaked or Sprouted Crepes

• 2 cups spelt, whole wheat pastry, or whole wheat flour (can be sprouted flour)
  • 2 to 3 cups milk
  • 2 tablespoons whey or raw apple cider vinegar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • two pinches of sea salt

Makes 16 to 18 crepes.

Combine the flour, milk and acid in a mixing bowl. Whisk together well. Cover and let soak for 8 hours. If using sprouted flour, the soaking may be omitted; however, even a few hours soaking improves the texture of crepes.

Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Brush with butter. In a bowl with a pour spout, whisk together the eggs, butter and salt. Add the soaked flour mixture and whisk well. Add milk, up to a cup or so, until you get a thin batter.

Pour 1/4 cup or so of crepe batter into the center of the skillet. Quickly pick up the skillet and roll the batter outward (aiming for a circle shape). Put the skillet back on burner and cook until edges are a bit dry and small bubbles dot the surface of the crepe. It may take less than a minute to cook each side of the crepe. Cook times depend on the skillet type, burner heat, and crepe thickness. If you try to flip your crepe and it does not seem ready, let it cook a few moments longer. Flip. The second side will take less time to cook than the first. Transfer the finished crepe to a plate that is lined with clean paper or cloth towels. Repeat making crepes until all are done. Enjoy!

How do you eat crepes? Please share in the comments!

I’m sharing this recipe in Katie’s Soaking Grains Gallery from Everywhere.

Comments

I LOVE crepes! And wonder why I still forget to make them regularly. I’ll need to work at that, and hopefully make them as regular an item on our menu as they seem to be for you.

For a special breakfast, we fill crepes with a blend of yogurt cheese, butter, honey and vanilla, then top with fresh fruit or jam and whipped cream. Yum!

Thanks for reminding me that I need to add crepes to our breakfast menu. I’m looking forward to trying out your sourdough crepes. Any advise on a chocolate bacon desert crepe? I have heard chocolate can be healthy and can be incorporated into a real food diet. My wife will be glad : )

4. Tina says

Yum! I haven’t made crepes since we got married and that was over 20 years ago! So, my kids have never had them.I think I’ll make some next weekend for breakfast when we get settled in our new home.I like mine with berries.

Tamara — I store them in the fridge in a Ziploc, with paper towel keeping the crepes off the plastic. And I do freeze the same way, too. Though for a long time in the freezer, you might get freezer burn unless you double-bag or double-wrap them.

5. Michelle B. says

I was wondering, can I use buttermilk in place of the whey or vinegar? I am guessing they would be too sour if I used it in place of all of the milk. I don’t have any whey right now and my apple cider vinegar isn’t raw. Thanks!

6. Tiffany says

hi! im trying to go as low carb as possible. have you tried to substitute with coconut milk? mine is really fatty, should i keep some of the fat out? im using canned milk. Thanks!

7. Teresa Myers says

Is there a gluten-free flour that works? I know buckwheat is gluten-free but haven’t cooked with it – any suggestions?

8. Sarah says

Have you tried this with water instead of milk? My goats are drying up, and I don’t have extra for cooking anymore, and refuse to buy store “milk”. (I live in an anti-raw milk state). I don’t care much for milk alternatives, the only healthy ones I am aware of is homemade almond or homemade coconut milk, and both are kind of pricey for cooking.

9. Molly says

Soaked = Unrefrigerated even with dairy? I just mixed up the first part of this recipe for the morning for our family! Can I leave it out with the MILK overnight??? I also mixed up a batch to use for my 7 month old with water and yogurt, but feel VERY uncomfortable leaving it unrefridgerated for the whole night with the dairy. I assume it’s okay, but need confirmation. THANKS!