Homemade Goat Milk Cottage Cheese

Cottage cheese, crepes, and heirloom tomatoes. A late fall meal couldn’t be more simple or taste much better. I can’t describe what tomatoes and cottage cheese do for my taste buds, but let’s just say it is perfection! Nutrition is pretty good, too. ;) The crepes are soured for best nutrition, and raw cheese delivers vitamins, enzymes, and beneficial organisms (aka probiotics).

The final test? My family really likes this cottage cheese. They haven’t liked the other cottage cheeses I tried, but they gobble this one up.

This is an adapted recipe from Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll. The book is available electronically for Kindle, as well as in print.

Did you know Kindle can be FREE? Amazon offers FREE Kindle applications for PC and Mac computers, as well as mobile devices (like Blackberry, Android, iPad, and iPhone). In other words, you can use your computer or phone to read and store Kindle books.

Looking for more raw cheese info and recipes? Check out our Raw Cheese series, including easy raw cheese recipes, basic cultures, tools, and equipment, recommended resources, and benefits of raw cheese!

Ingredients

1 gallon of milk makes approximately 1 pound of cheese.

• 2 gallons raw goat milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon mesophilic culture (I used Danisco MA19, can also use MA4001)
  • 4 drops liquid rennet*
  • 1/4 cup water
  • Sea salt, kosher salt, cheese salt (but not table salt!)

*You can also use 2 drops of double strength liquid rennet.

Equipment

Make sure your equipment is very clean. In other words, washed in very hot water or run through the dishwasher using a hot water wash/rinse cycle.

• stainless steel pot
  • additional pot for water bath (helpful in winter)
  • colander
  • bowl or pot to hold colander
  • additional bowl
  • thermometer, plus one more for the additional pot (if using)
  • cheese cloth
  • slotted spoon
  • long knife

Method

Put the milk in the pot and slowly warm it to 72 degrees Fahrenheit, stirring occasionally. Keep it covered to preserve heat. If the milk is cold, it can take several hours. If the milk is fresh from milk, it can already be up to temperature.

Sprinkle the mesophilic culture on top of the milk. Stir in well. Very well. Put the rennet in a little cup with the 1/4 cup of water. Stir well, then add to the pot of milk. Stir very well. Cover the pot and let the milk culture, or “ripen,” for 12 to 18 hours. If the room temperature is right around 72 degrees, you will not have to keep the burner on. Wrap with a towel off the burner to keep the heat in, if desired. It will coagulate into very soft curds.

Then cut the curd into 1/2 inch cubes. Click here to read some good basic directions for making those cuts.

Be very gentle with the curds at this point. In fact, after cutting them, just let them sit for 15 minutes, undisturbed. Keep the cover on the pot to keep them warm.

Turn on the burner and heat the curds to 90 degrees Fahrenheit over the course of 30 minutes or so. During this time, stir gently once or twice to keep the curds from sticking and make them smaller.

Now increase the temperature a bit more quickly over the next 15 minutes, to 102 degrees Fahrenheit. Hold the curds at this temperature for about 30 minutes, until they are more firm. Give them additional time if they’re still soft.

Pour off the whey (which is raw and can be saved for lacto-ferments or for soaking grains, beans, or bread).

Line a colander with cheesecloth and put it in a bowl or pot that fits it. Pour the curds into it. Drain for 5 minutes.

Put curds in another bowl and gently break up any large pieces. Add salt to taste. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Keeps for about 2 weeks, according to Home Cheese Making.

I usually keep one-fourth of this amount in the fridge and then store the rest in the freezer, in one-fourth batch portions.

Enjoy! Do you have favorite cottage cheese recipes? How about favorite ways to eat cottage cheese? If you give this recipe a try, I’d love to know how your family feels about it.

I’m sharing this post in Real Food Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursday, and Fight Back Friday.

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes

Comments

1. SueEllen says

I just went to amazon and could not find a Kindle version of Home Cheese Making……there is a button to click to say “tell the publisher you want this on Kindle” am I looking in the wrong place? I would love to have this for Kindle.

This looks a bit easier than the recipe I have used with our goat milk… it uses just buttermilk and liquid rennet to culture it, and there’s a double-boiler used as well. I’m going to have to try this one with the culture, since my current recipe tastes a bit too “goaty” – even though our milk tastes great! Go figure. :-)

You’re right. Apparently, it is unavailable now. It was definitely available about a month ago when I purchased it. We should keep checking, as perhaps it is a temporary thing. I’m sorry for leading you astray, SueEllen!

• SueEllen says

Oh don’t worry about it Wardee….not your fault. Yes I will keep checking. I have noticed this “not available in the us” on a couple of other things. I find it odd.

Those tomatoes look so rich in color, I’m sure they tasted wonderful. I have never made cottage cheese, though a friend sells goats milk and with this recipe there is no reason not to try it.

-Brenda

My husband loves cottage cheese with fresh fruit, but I haven’t found any at the grocery store that aren’t made with skim milk and other undesirables. I’ll have to try this one!

i love the idea of making cheese but haven’t done any except for (appetizingly named) “bag cheese”. It just used vinegar or lemon juice to separate the curds and then you drained it over the sink in the afore mentioned bag. And nobody liked the taste except me…I’ll have to try these excellent non-scary instructions for a tasty cottage cheese!

Um. I’m just starting to make yogurt cheese. My first batch was tasty and fun. I’m trying it again with a little more salt and more herbs.

Thanks for another great recipe Wardee! I made some homemade farmer’s cheese last weekend and am excited to try this cottage cheese. Crepes sound really good right about now. :) I featured this in my Weekly Recipe Wrap Up b/c I don’t think people realize how easy it is to make cheese at home! Once you master the basic recipes, you can move onto more difficult recipes! How fun!!!

My now 5 year old son made a comment a few months back while my mom was eating cottage cheese that he likes it. News to me since I’ve never purchased or fed it to him! Can you tell I don’t like it? At that point I decided I’d figure out how to make it, but never followed through. This sounds easy enough, but can you tell me this…am I likely to enjoy this since it’s homemade vs store bought? I don’t know what I don’t like about any that I’ve tried, just…ew. I like the chevre I make and seems like it’d be similar.

Thanks Wardee. The timing of my reading this blog is interesting in that I was looking for a post I saw *somewhere* online about a week ago for making evaporated or sweetened condensed milk. I tried all my usual places and this post was in the search results here, so I read (and bookmarked!) this to make the cottage cheese in the near future. A few hours before reading this we were at New Frontiers and saw this book. I had my husband take a picture of 3 of the books that I’d like to check out from the library before making a purchase. Just thought I’d share…

10. Lanise says

Hello, I’d love to try and make this. So, do understand correctly that you can half the recipe and just use 1 gallon of milk? Also, I assume you can use cow’s milk, right? If I am using raw cow’s milk, is it best to skim off the cream first? Thanks so much.

Lanise — Yes, you can halve the recipe. You’ll only need 1/8 teaspoon of the mesophilic culture. Interestingly, you can use 1/4 teaspoon up to 3 or 4 gallons of milk. The meso culture doesn’t scale by doubling or tripling. But it is flexible and hard to get wrong.

For the best cottage cheese, I’d leave the cream in. :) It will be delicious with cow’s milk, too. Let me know how it goes!

Hey,
    I just came across this website! Very excellent! I eat mostly a Raw food, vegan diet, with some Raw Goat or Sheep dairy because every person’s body requires a different kind of diet :). I cannot have gluten, cow dairy, or sugar cane of any kind, I don’t eat meat, but I’m not against it. I was wondering if you do or you could sell the Goat Cottage Cheese that you make? I would like to buy Goat Cottage Cheese from you! :) Please let me know what you think? thank you so much! Keep up the good work!

~Ashlee Disman
    shalomholistics.com

Lina,

No, goat milk is still considered dairy. Any milk from a lactating animal (goat, sheep, llama, cow, etc.) is dairy. Goat milk can be easier to digest for some.

If you’re looking for dairy free, you’d want to look at homemade almond milk (store-bought dairy substitutes are not good) or coconut milk.

12. Hannah says

I have rennet in tablets.How much would you use for this recipe? It says that 1 tablet equals 1 teaspoon liquid rennet. Also should I get liquid rennet in the future? I’m new to the whole cheese making process, but we have lots of goat milk, so I’m trying it out. Thanks for your help.

Hannah, it is hard to get a tablet to work in this recipe. However, it can be done… carefully.

You need to keep in mind the equivalents:

1 rennet tablet = 1 teaspoon regular-strength liquid rennet = 1/2 teaspoon double-strength liquid rennet
      1 rennet tablet = 30 drops regular-strength liquid rennet = 15 drops double-strength liquid rennet

To get 4 drops out of your tablet, dissolve it in 30 tablespoons of water, and then measure out 4 tablespoons. The rest will not last long and should be discarded.

I highly recommend liquid rennet for recipes such as these — it is easier to get accurate measurements, plus there’s no waste. :)

13. Kati says

I just tried this cheese, I followed the instructions closely. Left it to set for around 18 hours and I had a great curd. After cutting and “cooking” the curd according to the instructions, I cannot seem to get it to shrink down and firm up the curd. They are instead threatening to dissolve? Not sure what I might have done wrong?
    Thanks for your help.

14. jenessa says

I just made this. I think it will turn out, but I had trouble holding it at 102 degrees. How is this done? There is probably some technique I am missing. Thanks!

15. emily says

You can change the update to say the book is available at Amazon for Kindle and in paperback in the US. I just bought a copy, yay!