Fencing, Cheese Press, Crocks & Pickled Eggs

This is my Tuesday Twister post, where I share what’s been happening in my GNOWFGLINS kitchen over the last week. To see what others are making or to participate in the Tuesday Twister blog carnival, visit this week’s Tuesday Twister post.

This week was fun. Still lots happening! My husband pretty much finished up permanent fencing and gates. He’d been off work for two weeks — a working vacation. There’s one more cross fence to put up, but at least now the goats have boundaries again. The kids were a great help, pretty much full-timing it on the fencing like he did.

I got a cheese press from Cultures for Health, and made my first run with it. The cheese (queso fresco) turned out tighter and harder than with my makeshift press. I am happy! I’ll review it better soon, but for now, just know that I am a happy camper!

I have been hunting for fermenting crocks at thrift stores, never finding any. Joy knew this and said she would keep an eye out for me. I really wanted a cute little crock like hers (remember Carl, her starter?). Apparently, one blessing follows another, because no sooner had Joy found a cute little crock for me and put it in the mail from Texas (thank you!), I found two more crocks and a pitcher at Goodwill. They all match, are made in the USA, and offer various sizes! One of the crocks I found is missing a lid, but that’s okay.

Joy also sent us a pint jar of home-canned rum peaches… mmm! Thank you!

We have an abundance of eggs, both from the local farm and our neighbor, so I finally got to trying the pickled eggs idea I saw at Marg’s blog last year. At first I was just going to use a salt brine with some whey, but then I realized I had leftover pickle juice from making Peggy’s awesome garlic-dill pickles, so! I used that juice, and the eggs were wonderful. Pickly, tasty, good!

I submerged the hard boiled eggs in the pickle juice and moved the quart jar right to the fridge for a few days, but I think I could have left it out at room temperature for a day prior. The pickle juice is ripe with lactobacilli, to prevent the eggs from spoiling.

And speaking of all the lacto-ferments I made last week, they all turned out great. Sarah’s dilly beans were fabulous, just like she said. It was really hot, so everything was done in about half the time. Good thing, too, we were eager tasters. :)

In other news… This coming Friday, Pamela, Diana and I are hosting the Nourishing Jams, Jellies, Preserves and More! Blog Hop. Read this post for more information and join us on Friday to link up your posts on what you’re creating from God’s bountiful fruit harvest this year!

Interested in natural baby gear and products? Donielle @ Naturally Knocked Up is having a week-long virtual baby shower with all kinds of crazy-good giveaways. Better check it out!

So that’s it for me! What’s been twisting in your kitchen over the last week? Head over to today’s Tuesday Twister post to link your post up or visit the other Tuesday Twister posts.

I’m sharing this post with Two for Tuesdays.

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes

Comments

My kraut crock is like that. I picked it up at a yard sale for $2 IIRC. It’s a bit small, if I want to make a large batch (as attested to my most current batch), but I love it just the same! It’s brown & tan glazed & has the 2 handles & the lid. There are also flowers painted on it :D

The great thing about the crock I sent is that the lid is nice and tight fitting without needing the rubber seal. I was quite pleased with how nicely it fit together. Mine has a rubber gasket that has seen some better days.

I’m really glad you enjoyed the peaches. They’re local and were the perfect size for canning!

Thanks for all that you do, Wardee!

Yum – what a great idea. I’ve been tossing my pickle juice, but kept a jar of the fermented brine left over from my pickled peppers with no idea what to do with it. I made pickled eggs once this year and loved them – think i’ll go drop a few into the pickle brine and see how it goes!

4. Toni says

Wardee, I pickled eggs once in my pantry with some of Erins lacto-fermented mustard. However I want to tweek the recipe just a bit for the mustard. I think I left them for a day or so, maybe even three – I can’t remember. I think it may be a PA Dutch recipe that orginally calls for vinegar, mustard, sugar, water, and salt and then just soak the eggs in the frig a couple of days. I had been wondering about doing this type of recipe to ferment the eggs. When I searched fermented eggs online all I came up with is Ancient eggs (pretty interesting) although I don’t think I’ll be trying that one anytime soon! But I just took Erin’s recipe and added more whey and water to make the juice the right consistency and a bit more sweetner and some tumeric and they turned out pretty good. I noticed that the white of the egg got just a tiny bit rubbery. I took some photos of them and maybe will put them in an album on my page. I have a bit of a collection of photos that I want to sometime soon upload.

I LOVE your cheese press and crocks. It is so hard to find crocks at a reasonable price. I have used a lot of stoneware crocks (left over from no longer working crock pots and slow cookers at garage sales), but I am on the lookout for some real crocks. I would also love to have a real cheese press. The kids identify the type of cheese I am making by how many encyclopedias I have stacked on my make-shift press (It’s either a 1 book, 2 book, or 3 book cheese . . . ) Enjoy your real press!! :-)

Wardee your queso fresco is beautiful! I was just thinking today what a convenient replacement for mozzarella that would be and raw too! Do you have a recipe on here for it?

And do you know how long the eggs will keep like this? I have some green beans fermenting right now but I think the mold may have consumed them. I’ve been neglectful! They taste moldy, even when I rinse them off. Nuts. Good thing beans are cheap in my garden. I’m starting some cukes tonight so hopefully I can keep a better eye on them.

Nice! Your fences look great…and I LOVE the cheese press…so much better than my wonky homemade contraptions, LOL! Also love the pickled eggs…they’ve been on my list of things to make forEVER!! Thanks for sharing this with Two for Tuesdays this week, Wardee :)

Hi Wardee, Loads of cool stuff going on for you! That is wonderful. I am laughing at your pickled eggs though because when in college every Pennsylvania bar had a jar of BRIGHT purple pickled eggs on the counter to buy as a snack! I like that yours arent purple! Thanks for linking to the two for tuesday blog hop :) Alex@amoderatelife

9. Toni says

So maybe it is a PA thing huh Alex? Mine aren’t purple they’re yellow! I like the yellow eggs much better than purple ones!

Wardee, I created a photo album this morning and uploaded the picture of the eggs.

I am a little late commenting but for some reason I couldn’t open your site yesterday – weird huh?!
    I love your crocks – they wanted $8 at the goodwill for one and I just couldn’t pay that much – I am holding out for the $1 ones!
    thanks for linking this to Two for Tuesdays!

11. Carolyn says

Thank you so much for the info on pickling eggs. Hubby has been clamoring for them as we also have an over abundance. I had pretty much resigned myself to vinegar pickling, but since I can’t just toss all those jars of fermented pickle juice I will use them up, all but the cauliflower – I think that might make them taste funky.
    My hubby thanks you too!!

The crock without a lid, we call a bean pot. Makes great baked beans… or a cookie jar. ;) Wardee, what do you use the small one with the lid for?

13. Shanna says

Purple pickled eggs are awesome! They are pickled with beets, that’s what makes them purple! We love them! Pickled beets and eggs are one of my husband’s favorites and as long as I keep making them, he isn’t eating processed crap for snacks!