Thank you, all, for your compassionate, kind, and thoughtful responses to my Tough Times post of Monday. Many emailed, too, to let us know they were praying for us. I know they say misery loves company, and that’s true here, but in a good way. Your sad stories of life and loss on your farms made me feel not so alone. Thanks to you, and thanks to God’s mercy, we’re all despairing much less now.
“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” –Romans 8:28
The kids and I spent some time this morning thinking of all the good and joyful times we’ve had on our farm lately. Here’s the list we made. God is good to us!
- Khaki Campbell ducks learning to forage and scratch for food.
- Khaki Campbell ducks and young Muscovy ducks growing wings and learning to fly. Each morning they come out of the barn en masse, trying to take flight. Thirty-nine ducks flapping wings and running up the slope makes an awesome scene and chorus. Read B.’s post on the subject, where she identified the “basics” of flight that our Mama Muscovy seems to be teaching her flock. Funny!
- Just weeks away from home-grown duck eggs and duck meat!
- From evening and morning goat milking, bringing in lots of yummy milk for cheese! So far, I set a batch of feta to age for a month, and I made a two pound loaf of queso fresco, which must age for 3 days. I am ever so grateful for the sweet milk our does give willingly, and for how they’ve bonded with me and the rest of the family.
- Back in kefir again! This means kefir with local blackberries or plums, and kefir cheese … for probiotic potato salad!
- Impossibly adorable and lovable goat kids with long ears, who love to climb, jump, play, get scratched, scratch back, and nuzzle you when held.
- Witnessing the miracle of goat births, even when the outcomes are less than desirable.
- Getting a dog, a farm dog to protect our goat herd and bird flock! We’re picking out a pup soon, one of this litter from OlympicDogs.
You were so good to share your tough times with me on Monday. Please, in the comments today, share your joyful times. Let’s grow this list so all may see God’s goodness and mercy.
This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting GNOWFGLINS with your purchases.