Probiotics: Every Meal — Dinners

probiotics-every-meal

It’s time to share probiotic dinner ideas! In the past and coming weeks, we’re going to hit every meal and then some. The goal being: to share ideas and recipes for getting probiotics with every bite (or at least every meal).

Please share your probiotic dinner ideas in the comments. Feel free to add links to blog posts, current or past. Wondering what “Probiotics: Every Meal” is all about? Read this post.

I’d like to share some of my probiotic dinner ideas. Quite a few of them center around condiments. Of course, any of the sandwiches or lunch ideas can be eaten for dinner, and we do that quite often. But, dinner dinner? Here’s what we do.

Raw Sour Cream Topping

My raw sour cream is actually my soft cheese (chevre) which I blend with raw milk to a sour cream consistency. We use it as a topping for Sloppy Joes In A Bowl, burritos, tacos, or rice bowls.

If it was cooked, the probiotics would die. So the sour cream definitely has to be added last and not cooked.

Shredded Raw Cheese

Like the raw sour cream, I also add shredded queso fresco to dishes. This cheese ages only 3 days, is easy to make, and shreds well (unless frozen). I’m sure you know the options are endless here! Once again, can’t be cooked.

Side Dishes

Adding a lacto-fermented chutney, relish or sauerkraut is easy. We often have sauerkraut with hamburgers.

Condiments

Speaking of the hamburgers, use lacto-fermented mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, or queso fresco on them and they’re probiotic!

Have oven fries with lacto-fermented ketchup.

I have a friend whose family loves “pink stuff” — guess what that is? Ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together. Someday I’ll have an opportunity to tell her how to make it probiotic. :D

Probiotic Potato Salad

Boy, am I glad we’re getting lots of kefir again. One of our favorite side dishes is Probiotic Potato Salad. The dressing base is kefir cheese, which is really easy to make and lends a delicious tartness to this salad. If you’re more inclined to a mild taste, use yogurt cheese or lacto-fermented mayonnaise instead. How about adding some lacto-fermented relish or pickles?

So… those are my probiotic dinner ideas. What about you? Add your ideas or link to your blog post(s) in the comments. Next Wednesday, we’ll come back to this series and hit on snacks. Please do get your ideas ready!

I’m sharing this post in Real Food Wednesday.

Do you love GNOWFGLINS?

Help us keep this site going by becoming a member! As a member, you get:

• access to 8 online classes (and counting!)
  • 100s of videos and print tutorials
  • eBook discounts
  • monthly learning bonus
  • access to exclusive forums

Comments

I’m all about sausage and sauerkraut for dinner (with potatoes and butter), but my husband doesn’t eat sauerkraut. I like curries with yogurt drizzled on top. And I love pickles with a grilled cheese sandwich.

Actually, my most recent post would be great with a side or topping of sauerkraut!

2. Jessica says

I like to make the ginger carrots from Nourishing Traditions and then I just added them our garden salads. Tasty!

Hi,
    I think some good (real) cultured sour cream is a great way of adding probiotics to lots of meals. Summertime is a great time for taco salads (with sour cream on top!), which is also a great camping meal as you can see in my post from Tuesday http://walknt.blogspot.com/2010/07/camping-palm-plate-review.html (Comment Luv never works for me unless I post two comments, it works on the second one?)
    I also made a guacamole with avocado, salsa, and sour cream that was yummy for dipping chips in.

Jenn — I love sausage and sauerkraut, though we don’t get sausage often enough! What are curries? Thanks for all the ideas!

Jessic — Oh, me, too! Ginger carrots are wonderful on salads!

Lisa — Great ideas, especially taco salad. :D mm… I will see if I can figure out the commentluv issue. Have you tried doing it in another browser just that out? Does it happen on other blogs?

Tara – Great idea! Your cherry chutney w/ the mahi mahi looks so good. I didn’t add a linky this week because it wasn’t getting used so much for this series. Thanks for adding your link in the comments — that was just right.

This is a test- normally I use Firefox & on every blog I visit that has Comment Luv I only see the link to my blog if I post more than one comment… Now I am trying with IE…

6. Sandy says

Hey Wardee,

I love your blog. I checked out the recipe for the chevre cheese and the link for the mesophilic culture doesn’t exist anymore. I am inquiring about it because I know cultures for health has a chevre starter as well as a couple of different mesophilic starters and I am not sure which would work best. I do not have goat’s milk so I would be using raw cow’s milk. Thanks in advance for your help!

7. jemes soon says

Various kinds of prebiotics support different types of microorganisms in the GI. To help keep a good balance associated with healthy microorganisms, it is important to have a variety of prebiotic foods in the diet. Vegetables and fruits contain prebiotics such as fibers and natural carbs.

I’m so glad for your content. Thank you.