Probiotics: Every Meal — Breakfast

probiotics-every-meal

It’s time to share your probiotic breakfast ideas! In the coming weeks, we’re going to hit every meal and then some. The goal being: to share ideas and recipes for getting probiotics with every bite (or at least every meal).

Got old or new posts with probiotic breakfast ideas? Link up by adding a link to your post in the thumbnail linky tool below. There’s no limit on how many or how old. Just add away! Please make sure your post links to this post, and feel free to use the picture in your post(s).

If reading this via email, visit this post to see the list of linked blog posts. Wondering what “Probiotics: Every Meal” is all about? Read this post.

The key, I think, to eating probiotics at every meal is making sure some of element of the meal is lacto-fermented. Lacto-fermentation is a broad category; it covers any food where lactic-acid producing bacteria or yeasts preserve a food. Not only can fermented fruits and veggies (like sauerkraut) be called lacto-fermented, but so can cultured dairy.

Keep in mind that in order to receive probiotic benefits, the lacto-fermented foods can’t be cooked; heat destroys the fragile beneficial organisms that are so good for the gut.

Now I’ll share some of my ideas. Please add more of yours in the comments, or by linking up any posts of your own.

Kefir

Kefir is a great breakfast meal component. Put it in a smoothie, serve it over raw soaked granola or oatmeal, or mix it with fruit. Here are some kefir recipes on this blog.

One of our favorite ways to eat kefir is to mix it up with pureed fruit. I puree whatever fruit is in season and put a spoonful or two of that in a glass with the kefir, then stir. It is like an instant smoothie, and the fruit balances a bit of kefir’s tart taste.

Raw Cheese

Don’t cook the raw cheese, mind you. Just sprinkle shredded or sliced raw cheese atop eggs, omelettes, or a warmed up biscuit. Homemade feta is especially good with eggs! Use raw, soft cheese spread on biscuits or scones. Making soft raw cheese is one of the most popular lessons in the Fundamentals eCourse.

Raw Sour Cream

Soft cheese blended with raw milk makes an awesome sour cream! Drizzle it over eggs or hashbrowns.

Cultured Butter

There’s got to be a million ways to eat cultured butter at breakfast. Just don’t cook it! Let it melt over warm food, such as toasted English muffins, sweet soaked muffins, pancakes, waffles, scrambled or hard-boiled eggs, or hashbrowns. What other ways are there to eat butter? Please share in the comments!

Ketchup

Aren’t there people who like to eat ketchup with eggs? Make lacto-fermented ketchup and you’re good to go! Oh, and hashbrowns — very good with ketchup.

Mayonnaise

We like to mix hard boiled eggs with a bit of mayo and cultured butter. Salt and pepper, too. Oh, and garlic.

Lacto-Fermented Condiments

Serve your breakfast with a lacto-fermented side, such as a chutney or sauerkraut!

Beverages

Have a cold glass of raw milk. Even sweet and unsoured, it is chock full of beneficial organisms and enzymes. Drink up! Or, pour a glass of Kombucha or water kefir.

I hope you can see from this list — where I’m sure I just scratched the surface of the possibilities — that it is soooo easy to get your probiotics at breakfast. To ensure the best health for our guts, let’s consume frequent real foods that pack a probiotic punch.

So… now it is up to you! Bloggers, link up your probiotic breakfast ideas in the thumbnail linky box above. Everyone, please do share in the comments what ways you get probiotics at breakfast. Thanks for participating — I really look forward to your ideas.

Comments

We do kefir smoothies using dairy kefir or water kefir, or sometimes both! Blend them with greens such as spinach or kale and fruit like bananas and berries…so yummy!

We also will do sauerkraut with our breakfast… or we’ll make a sweet salad out of shredded cabbage and apple, raisins, some yogurt or kefir and a bit of honey…yum!

2. Cath says

We do kefir smoothies with greens and fruit too three mornings a week too! So looking forward to seeing some ideas…….

I ususally have a glass of Kombucha too.

Trishia — The cabbage salad sounds wonderful – what a good idea!

Cath – Thanks for sharing what you do. A glass of Kombucha is a staple for us, too.

4. Katherine says

What a timely series you’ve started in light of the most recent Weston A. Price Foundation journal of Wise Traditions which seems to be emphasizing the problems that come from poor gut bacteria. My husband used to always feel like he had too much undigested food in his system, especially after a big meal. When we add probiotics to every meal, he no longer has that complaint. Thanks for all the great ideas, and I’m really looking forward to the Sourdough eCourse!

5. Terri says

Breakfast tacos with fermented salsa. Or just the eggs with the salsa. We also eat a Japanese-style breakfast sometimes with fish, rice, miso soup, and kimchi.

6. Rebecca says

I am new to the real food idea, and am having a great time with it, I am excited to learn more. I really want to make some of the great lacto-fermented recipes but have a question, where do you get the whey? Do I have to find a raw milk supplier and make it? thanks for any answers, advice, links anyone may have.

Katherine – That’s wonderful! I’m so happy about to hear that complaint is resolved.

Terri – Ooh, yes! Awesome idea to have breakfast tacos w/ salsa, or salsa and eggs. Your Japanese-style breakfast sound delish.

Tiffany – Good for you on the beet kvass. I hope more ideas will come in – I can’t imagine we’ve covered them all. :)

8. Kimber says

For us, breakfast seems the easiest time to add probiotics! My husband LOVES his LF salsa with eggs in the morning. As for me, cortido, and farm-fresh over easy, please! Spicy LF carrots are also great with eggs! Raw milk and cheese are naturals for breakfast, too! On a lazy day, some homemade yogurt and granola really hit the spot. Oh, and we almost always have a glass of kombucha in the AM.

I haven’t ventured into kefir, sourdough or cultured butter, yet. Baby steps… :-)

9. Jessie says

I have enjoyed a fermented apples and raisins. It’s good w/many other things. I do enjoy having fruit at breakfast and this is a good way to do it.

I’ve adapted the Fruit Chutney recipe in NT. Here it is:

3 cups peeled & thinkly sliced apples (about 3 apples)
    1/2 cup filtered water
    grated rind of 2 lemons
    juice of two lemons
    1/8 cup rapadura or sucanat
    2 teaspoons sea salt
    1/4 cup whey
    handful of raisins
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix water, lemon juice, lemon rind, rapadura & whey. As you peel and slice the fruit, put it in this mixture. Stir in raisins and cinnamon. Put all in a quart sized jar, pressing down w/pounder or meat hammer. Make sure liquid covers fruit. If it doesn’t – add more water. Cover and leave at room temperature for two days before moving to refrigerator. NT says to eat within two months, but we’ve never kept it around that long.

10. Angela says

these are great ideas!

A fast favorite of ours are breakfast burritos with sour cream and/or lacto-fermented veggies.

Sorry Wardee! That fudge can only be considered sinful and definitely not a breakfast item in most households but I had to share! Who knew you could make those kinds of goodies and be healthy (ish? lol ) about it! I stand all amazed :)

12. Peg4Jesus7 says

Well, this has probably already been mentioned, but one of my favorite breakfasts is plain (esp. homemade) yogurt, with any variety of mix-ins: fruit, crispy nuts/seeds, shredded coconut, homemade granola, ground flax or chia seeds, cinnamon, vanilla, etc. I eat this most mornings when I don’t cook something; it’s quick, easy and delicious! :-)

These are really good ideas! Our family loves probiotics and we really believe that they have such an amazing ability to help us in so many ways. Our son had severe eczema that no one knew how to help him with (doctors etc) and finally after several years and many meds we put him on the children’s chewable probiotic Belly Boost and he quickly and miraculously began to clear right up. We saw it first hand in our home and we are so thankful! These look like yummy ways to get even more, thank you!

14. Marly says

Wardee, I don’t know if anyone else is having this problem, but I can’t open any of these probiotic breakfast links and I;m just dying to see what they made. UGH!

Marly — you mean when you click on one of the thumbnail images above, the link doesn’t open? It should open in a new tab or new window. It is working for me. Perhaps you have scripts turned off or an Adblocker running?

1. […] We’ll be having the second part of the Probiotics: Every Day series: lunches. What lunch ideas will you share that feature probiotic ingredients or condiments? Remember, if the probiotic ingredients are heated, we can’t consider them as offering a probiotic benefit at the meal! I look forward to your recipes and ideas. Thanks to all who shared in the breakfast part of the series — the recipes and ideas were wonderful, and so were the comments! […]