Tuesday Twister – Chocolate Mint

Add your links here, and then keep reading to see what twisted in my kitchen over the last week… Also, come back on Thursday to link up your “Probiotics: Every Meal” breakfast ideas. New or old posts and ideas welcomed! Read Probiotics: Every Meal — New Series for more info.

Share Your Tuesday Twister Post – New With Thumbnails!

Show us your GNOWFGLINS – God’s natural, organic, whole foods, grown locally and in season. I’m eager to see what’s been cooking in your kitchens over the last week! Share what you’ve been making and doing through words and/or pictures.

If reading this via email, visit this post to see the list of linked blogs. Wondering if this blog carnival is for you? Read 5 Reasons To Do The Tuesday Twister.

To participate, make a Tuesday Twister post on your blog. Include a link to this post. Then add your post to the Linky Tools box (above). Thumbnails come automatically from your blog post, or you can upload a special one. Leave a comment on this post and then visit the other posts that are linked up!

Now here we go – I’ll catch you up on what’s been twisting in my kitchen the past week. …Coming soon… Keywords “chocolate” and “mint.” :D

You’re probably wondering, “Chocolate Mint what?” Well, just chocolate mint. Mint leaves with a bit of chocolate smell and flavor. I got some last week at the Farmer’s Market. I couldn’t resist it, even though I didn’t know what to do with them. Finally, I decided to dry them.

The leaves made enough for about 3 cups of tea. But three wonderful cups of chocolate-mint-sweetened-with-honey-and-added-cream-too tea.

My husband loves sweet potatoes, and I found some of those, too — when we were up in Eugene the weekend before last. I peeled and diced them and cast iron skilleted them in coconut oil. They needed nothing else. So good.

This is a quiche that really puffed up. :D It was yummy – fresh herbs, fresh sauteed vegetables, homemade cheese. Doesn’t get much better.

And finally, some tender, chewy sourdough bread bites. Before they went into the oven.

So that’s it for me… what’s twisting in your kitchens? Join me again on Thursday to link up your probiotic breakfast ideas in the new series: Probiotics: Every Meal.

I’m sharing this post in Two for Tuesdays!

Comments

Thanks for hosting Wardee! This week I’m sharing one of my go to meals when I have not had time to prepare in advance- gluten-free crispy pizza. I am also doing a giveaway from 5 Spoke Creamery Cheese- handmade cheeses from raw milk of grass-fed cows. Just leave a comment on my blog to enter.

I have an herb garden with several types of mint and peppermint that I’m looking forward to drying. Sometimes I’ll just pick it fresh and boil it for tea.

Bread bites?? What’s the deal with those? Will it be part of the class?

Tara – When you do fresh leaves for tea – how much do you use?

The bread bites, I don’t know if they’ll be in the class. I’m just playing around. :) It was actually a biscuit recipe, but turned out nothing like them. They’re more like bread.

Lisa – Your pizza looks so good!

Oh, everything sounds really great…especially those sourdough bites! And I just picked some chocolate mint from our community garden last night and I’m sitting here wondering what to do with it? I’m thinking I’ll put it in some iced coffee =) Thanks for hosting, Wardee…my granola bars are up!

5. Kimber says

Hi, Wardee!

I just had a wonderful lunch with my boys, and thought I’d share. Please keep in mind, we’re still baby-stepping it around here, but it’s so great to see some progress!

Okay, without further ado… we had: fresh spinach salad with EVOO & sea salt, homemade guacamole, made with LF salsa, tortilla chips (NOT homemade, but we’re getting there), sprouted lentil taco “meat”, chunks of raw milk white cheddar and a glass of raw milk. After the boys’ nap, and before swimming lessons, we’ll snack on homemade yogurt and fresh cantaloupe from the farmer’s market.

BTW, all four boys ate the lentils!!! I’ve been trying for a long time to get two of them to willingly eat beans, so far the only way had been to puree them and add a little at a time to soup.

Thanks for all of the help and encouragement!

Oh, I also explained that there are a lot of kids that don’t eat as many good-for-them foods in a whole day as we did for our lunch. They were pretty proud of that. They’re learning about God’s food vs. factory/man’s food and about putting good fuel into our bodies to keep our bodies healthy & strong. :-)

Oh gosh Wardee, I’m so bad at measurements sometimes! I often just grab a big bunch (maybe the size you’d find at the farmers market or in the store), clean it and throw the whole thing (stems and all) into a big pot of water. Let it boil for a bit and sit. I usually make iced tea with it.

I love chocolate mint. We are moving and I am planning to have a small area of the yard just for different mint varieties. Then I don’t have to worry about them taking over anything else. Thanks for hosting!

This is my first Tuesday Twister, Wardee! I posted a recipe for Kitchen Sink Chicken Soup. It’s a regular feature in our home. Thanks so much for hosting!

9. Kelli says

I got a chocolate mint plant too! I also found a stevia plant at Bi Mart, so I was thinking about dehydrating both and making tea. How much dried mint to one cup of tea did you use?

10. Toni says

I’ve been making fresh leaf spearmint tea with some sprigs of fresh lavender lately. I too usually just grab a bunch of mint & lavender and add to boiling water. We’re kinda just in the begining stages of LF. But this week I made some baked oatmeal w/added blueberries and fresh raw milk for breakfast and tried Erin’s LF ketchup turned BBQ sauce for some grilled chicken.

I’m late today, its past tuesday, many computer problems these past few days. Thank you again Wardee for hosting. Today’s post, a crustless quiche, wonderful for lunch with friends or for dinner.

p.s. Leah and I continue to enjoy our time together following the fundementals ecourse! we are now on week 2, a little behind but that’s ok. have a blessed week.

Wardee, it was so neat to see you post about the chocolate mint tea, because my neighbor has had an abundance of chocolate mint plants for years and years now. We dug up three plants last week and planted them in large pots and have them in the shade due to the hot heat this week. They seemed to wither at first, but are now looking fairly good.

If you would like some more chocolate mint, my neighbor has a lot that she would be willing to share.

The only concern is that there are a lot of cats around her property as she feeds and takes care of 9 feral cats in the neighborhood.

I wonder if rinsing off the leaves well and drying them in the food dehydrator would take care of any bacteria or anything from the possibility of cats being around the plants? Do you know?

If you would like some plants from her, or just some leaves, let me know, and I’ll arrange for you to be able to get some the next time you’re in town.

Julieanne

13. Pat in TX says

You can use fresh mint of any kind to make tea without drying it and without boiling water. Take a couple handfuls of your mint and tear/bruise it in a bowl. Add about a quart of pure water and *massage* it like you are kneading bread. Strain it off and add some more water. The water will turn a greenish tea color and taste great! Amounts vary, but you can always taste and adjust with more water or more mint. I figure doing it this way leaves anything beneficial from the fresh herbs right in the tea, plus the children find it fun to do.