Lacto-Fermented Honey Dill Mustard

I am on a condiment kick at the moment. Ketchup last week and this week honey dill mustard. Oh, the zip and zing a little mustard can add to a sandwich! My mouth waters just thinking about it! If you have a few minutes and a few simple ingredients, you can whip this mustard up in no time.

Because it is lacto-fermented, this treat for your taste buds will need to sit out at room temperature for a few days to allow the flavors to meld and the whey to do its work. Worth every waiting moment. Enjoy on sandwiches, grilled meats, and as a flavor enhancer for dressings and sauces. A little bit goes a long way!

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup mustard powder
  • 3 tablespoons whey (OR whey from coconut milk kefir OR 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar*)
  • 2 tablespoons water (if using acv, use 3 tablespoons water)
  • 3 tablespoons dried dill –OR– 5 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
  • 3 to 5 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt

Add ingredients to a bowl. Stir well. Pour mustard into a jar. Cover tightly and leave on the counter for three days before moving it to the refrigerator. Enjoy!

*If using apple cider vinegar, this will not be lacto-fermented. Leave it out at room temperature for a few hours or a day, then move it to the refrigerator.

See all basic recipes, including lacto-fermented ketchup and mayonnaise.

This post is shared in Fight Back Friday, hosted by Food Renegade.

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes

Comments

Thanks for the great condiment recipes! I made the ketchup yesterday and loved the taste! (I can hardly wait till tomorrow, because I didn’t know if it was okay to open and use prior to the 48 hours!) I’m sure I’ll be eating more ketchup now. :) I look forward to making (and eating!) the mustard.

2. Erin says

Katy- Hope you enjoy the mustard! How wonderful to have all of that dill in your garden! Be ready for a kick. The mustard, because the recipe uses mustard powder, is quite spicy. A little bit goes a long way. :-)

3. Erin says

Karen- Yeah! So glad you liked the ketchup. :-) I hope you enjoy the mustard as well. It is definitely on the spicy side, because of the mustard powder. But, if you like a little zing every now and again, I think you’ll enjoy it! Milder mustard recipes soak and grind mustard seeds. Next time, for fun, I’ll go that direction.

4. Patty says

I made the ketchup yesterday and was thinking that I needed to make Mustard to go with it. Thanks! I can’t wait to make it! These sorts of “cooking” projects are perfect with my 6 year old.

5. JenZ says

I’m so glad to see this recipe! I have just started fermenting veggies (sauerkraut and 2 batches of pickles so far) and was wondering yesterday whether I could make mustard like this. Woo hoo! Something else to try!

And something else to spring on my friends who are starting to do the same things – we are talking about having a “fermenting club” where we can all bring samples of what we are fermenting to share, and this would be a nice addition!

6. Erin says

Patty- I agree! How wonderful to get your son involved. The mustard is on the spicier end, so be sure to warn him before he takes a finger-ful to sample his creation! :-)

7. Erin says

Jenz- A Fermenting Club! What a great idea! How fun to be on this journey with a group of friends. :-) Enjoy the mustard, and if you enjoy tomatoes, be sure to give the lacto-fermented ketchup a try too! Delish!

8. Susanna says

I made this recipe yesterday and while it’s amazing, it’s just WAAAAAAAY too hot/spicy for us! Any suggestions on how to mild it down, or what to use it on? I thought it would be great on fish or roasted potatoes, but we won’t be able to handle more than 1/16th teaspoon size servings. I guess I didn’t realize how hot mustard powder is!

9. Erin says

Susanna- Yes, it is spicy! We use only a very little bit at a time. If you are interested in a milder mustard, you might want to try a recipe that soaks and then grinds mustard seeds. You are right, this mustard definitely isn’t a spread-it-generously kind of mustard but more of a flavor enhancer. I’ve enjoyed it in dressings, egg salads, salmon patties, and sauces. I also enjoy it on an english muffin (thinly spread) along with some homemade mayo and a slice of cheese. Simple but delicious. A little bit DOES go a long way! I hope you are able to use it despite its spice. :-)

Oooh, would love to try this, especially since I love things with a “kick”!

Something I’ve always been wondering though… So, probably a month ago we had agoat’s milk kefir mishap when it cultured too long and turned into curds and whey. I kept the whey in a jar and well, it’s still in my fridge at this moment. Is it ok to use for something like this? Does it go bad? I should give it a whif, bit haven’t yet. Anyone know how long whey can last in the fridge? Thanks! :)

11. Andrea M. says

I’ve been wanting to make a recipe for Spicy Guinness Mustard but wanted to know if I add whey can I ferment it. Will the spices hurt the fermenting process?

• Erin says

Hi Andrea- Yes, you can add whey and ferment your mustard BUT, you need to make sure to add the whey once you are finished doing any heating of the recipe. Also, I’d make sure your proportions are somewhat similar to this one. Let us know how it goes! :-)

12. Michelle in ID says

I’m brand new to the idea of traditional foods. I’m wondering about adding a bit of whey to some previously made, home canned mustard. I’ thinking just popping the lid, stirring in the whey and leaving it on the counter until it’s fermented. Am I missing something about the process?

Thanks so much!

Hi Erin & Wardeh!

I just started this mustard recipe and licked my finger when done mixing.

Yowsa! Very spicy…sorta wasabi-esque.

Does the spiciness tone down after fermenting? If you don’t have time to answer, I guess I’ll find out in about 3 days, eh? :)

• Erin says

Hi Julie! So glad you are giving the mustard a try. And, yes, I’d have to say this is a spicy little condiment! A little goes a long way. Delicious mixed with some homemade mayo or as an ingredient in your favorite vinaigrette. I also really enjoy it in egg salad, along with our grilled salmon or salmon salad, and thinly spread on my sourdough english muffin cheese sandwiches. Simple but delish! Hope you enjoy it as well! :-)

14. Deb says

Does Erin have a bog, website, Facebook page, Pinterest page, or anything else to subscribe to? I find myself using so many of her recipes! They’re wonderful!

Thanks,
    Deb Casey
    Edgewood, NM

• Erin VL says

Hi Deb! Awww… you are so very sweet! I am glad you are enjoying my recipes.
      I don’t have any of that at the moment. One day, maybe. My three boys are keeping me busy enough these days! :-)