Tuesday Twister – Coconut Milk Kefir

I’m combining the two weekly Tuesday Twister posts into one. For the time being, there won’t be a blog carnival post separate from my entry. So add your links here, and then keep reading to see what twisted in my kitchen over the last week

Share Your Tuesday Twister Post – New With Thumbnails!

Show us your GNOWFGLINS – God’s natural, organic, whole foods, grown locally and in season. I’m eager to see what’s been twisting in your kitchens!

If reading this via email, visit this post to see the list of linked blogs.

To participate, make a Tuesday Twister post on your blog. Include a link to this post. Then add your post to the Linky Tools box (above). Thumbnails come automatically from your blog post, or you can upload a special one. Leave a comment on this post and then visit the other posts that are linked up!

Now here we go – I’ll catch you up on what’s been twisting in my kitchen the past week.

Coconut Milk Kefir. Our milking does are drying up in milk due to being pregnant. Its exciting that we’ll be having kids soon (my kiddoes are eager, eager), but sad to be without milk. I’ve long been wanting to try the powdered coconut milk from Wilderness Family Naturals. A local friend (the same one who made the blue bowl in the picture) facilitated a big group buy and I got 5 pounds of it. It made really yummy milk, and super yummy kefir. I thought I would have to acclimate my grains to the coconut milk, but they took to it right away. Someone on facebook mentioned that the grains may not multiply in coconut milk, so I’m watching for that. The coconut milk kefir is turning out more thick and more smooth than the milk kefir, which is a plus. It has a bit of a coconutty flavor, is not so effervescent and not so sour.

Fudge. I’ve been wanting to try Kimi’s awesome fudge for some time, and it was good. I did not have the paste kind of palm sugar. The powdered palm sugar left crystally crunchies in the fudge that we really liked. I don’t think the fudge was as smooth due to me not substituting any extra liquid after I used a dry sweetener instead of a wet. I’ll make it again, for sure.

Duck Stock. The Drake became stock this week. So easy in the crockpot. Then I used some of the stock to cook a pot of quinoa, and that was super delicious. I have about 6 cups of stock left to use in some other dishes this week. I love having stock in the fridge to boost nutrition and flavor.

So, that’s it for me! What’s twisting in your kitchen? Feel free to add your Tuesday Twister post in the Linky Tools box above, or share in the comments below!

Today’s the last day to enter the giveaway for Healthy Snacks To Go!

Do you love GNOWFGLINS?

Help us keep this site going by becoming a member! As a member, you get:

• access to 8 online classes (and counting!)
  • 100s of videos and print tutorials
  • eBook discounts
  • monthly learning bonus
  • access to exclusive forums

Comments

It’s great that the coconut kefir is going so good.
    I love the richness of duck broth. There is a delicious recipe in Nourishing Traditions on page 198 for Coconut Chicken Soup that has a variation using duck broth. It is so good. A wonderfully simple soup that we drink out of mugs that I think will even be suitable for warmer months.
    .-= Millie´s last blog post… Tuesday Twister May 25 =-.

Hi, Wardee,
    I love your new thumbnails!
    I was just wondering…do you use “milk grains” for the coconut milk kefir? Does it matter? Would water grains work? I’ve never made any kind of kefir before, but want to try and would love to buy the grains that will work for more than one thing. Thanks!
    .-= Ellen@BodyEarth´s last blog post… Convince Me to Drink Raw Milk =-.

Ellen – I did use my milk kefir grains for this – and even though water kefir grains are typically a different culture, milk kefir grains can be used for that, too. So if you’re only going to get one type of grain – get the milk kefir grains.

I’m so glad to hear you write about the coconut milk kefir. Someone asked me recently and I knew people did it, but I have no personal experience – we have 2 milk cows so we always have an abundance of milk. I’ve never used anything else. I’m glad to know it worked and glad to know there was no adjustment time . . . how long will your goats be dry? Our cows are dry for 2 months before calving. . . it seemed like such a long time to go without milk that we bought another cow so we could stagger their breeding and not be totally without. I’m also enjoying the Real Food on a Real Budget book. Thanks for all you do . . .
    Connie

Hi,
    I linked up my post about trying vanilla pudding. I made fudge this week too- but different recipe- and I will be posting later this week about that. :) Yum- coconut milk kefir sounds so good! I had some coconut milk I opened up the other day (Native Forest) and I was amazed at how creamy it was- loved it in my smoothies. And being less sour is a bonus too because my raw dairy milk kefir is more like stinky cheese than yogurt! Gonna have to try it too!

Connie – We have been thinking about getting a cow, too, even been shopping around. But we haven’t found the right one. The goats should be dry, dry for the last two months of pregnancy (same as your cows) and then we probably won’t milk them for 2 to 4 weeks after they give birth. So we’ll be out of milk for a good 3 months. Even now, we get so little that it hardly counts.

Raine – Thanks for participating! I always look forward to what you share. :)

Millie – Great suggestion on the soup, thank you!

Lisa – You could try brewing your dairy kefir less to have it less stinky. :) Or does it get that way quickly? I have not tried that brand of coconut milk – sounds wonderful! I would suggest you water it down (if it is whole) to a beverage consistency for making coconut milk kefir. It will thicken up quite a bit when culturing.

Joy – Oh, thanks for sharing a link to Lindsay’s instructions. I had missed that post! I hope you will like this kefir better. :)

7. LaniQ says

I tried making coconut milk kefir for the first time last week and it is so yummy! I have been making a goat milk one, but am not thrilled with the flavor, the coconut one is delicious. We have been using it in our smoothies and it adds such wonderful coconut flavor, I am really wanting to try and make an ice cream with it.

8. Jen says

Hi
    I love your site,it is so practical and has helped me on a daily basis with making the best food choices for my family.One thing I’ve been meaning to ask ,is the coconut milk powder a good choice? We are told to avoid powdered milks because of the rancid oxidized cholesterol problem,so is coconut milk powder problematic as well?
    I did a search on the web and it seems to indicate that it is oxidized as well.
    Do you know anything about this?
    I would greatly appreciate it.