Served on Erin’s sourdough English muffins, these are soooo good! I’ve long made Sloppy Joe’s In A Bowl – and these are a variation of that recipe. Often I stretch out the meat by adding cooked lentils to the Sloppy Joe mix. For these sandwiches, that variation is wonderful! Here’s the recipe which includes extras of the seasonings to flavor the lentils, too.
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef (or ground buffalo)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 4 cups cooked lentils (see instructions for cooking dry beans, or see below)
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups good water
- 1 can tomato paste (plus another half can if you’ve got it to spare)
- 2-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup raw honey, plus additional by the tablespoon if you like this sweeter
- desired sandwich garnishes: sliced onions, sliced tomatoes, sliced cheese, sliced olives, etc.
Start soaking 2 cups of dry lentils the night before in 4 cups of warm water, along with 2 tablespoons of acid such as whey, lemon juice, or raw apple cider vinegar. The next day, drain and rinse the lentils. Put the lentils and 4 cups of fresh water in a pot. Bring it to a boil, and let simmer until the lentils are tender, about a half hour (more at high elevations). Drain the lentils. Let cool, then store in the refrigerator until needed.
Put the ground beef in a 4 to 6 quart stock pot. Over medium heat, brown the beef. Add onions and garlic. Saute until soft. In a 4 cup measuring cup, whisk together: water, tomato paste, sea salt, pepper, olive oil, and honey. Add sauce mixture to meat, along with cooked lentils. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste. Turn off heat.
Scoop onto bread of choice (might I again recommend Erin’s wonderful sourdough English muffins?), along with garnishes and serve. Enjoy!
This is part of the Sandwich Round-Up – click over to see other yummy sandwich ideas, from me and others. Feel free to link up your own sandwich ideas – either from an old or new post, or share in the comments.
This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting GNOWFGLINS with your purchases.
Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!
Provide your family with healthy, delicious, nourishing meals! As a member, you get:
- 100s of videos in bite-size pieces
- Weekly meal plans for you and your family
- Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes
- Exclusive recipes
- and more!