Erin’s Spiced Oatmeal-Yogurt Muffins

I hoped Erin would keep sharing her yummy recipes with us, and she has. Erin gave us the fabulous sourdough English muffins, which you must try if you haven’t already. They are getting rave reviews. She also shared her no-soaking required, easy sourdough waffles. Please welcome her back today as she shares her gorgeous and flexible soaked, spiced, oatmeal-yogurt muffins. –Wardee

This tasty and nutritious muffin recipe was adapted from the Oatmeal-Yogurt Cake recipe found in The Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen. Enjoy!

• 2 cups flour of choice (you can mix and match)
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • a few tablespoons ground flax seed (optional)
  • heaping 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • heaping 1/2 tsp. allspice
  • heaping 1/4 tsp. ginger
  • heaping 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 2/3 cup plain yogurt plus 1/2 cup milk (or you could use all yogurt, kefir, buttermilk, or coconut milk, along with 2 tablespoons of an acid such as raw apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, or whey)
  • 3/4 cup sweetener (I finished some things up and used 1/4 c. maple sugar, 1/4 cup sucanat, and 1/4 cup honey)
  • 1/2 cup melted butter or coconut oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • add ins like grated carrot, dried fruit, crispy nuts, unsweetened coconut, grated/patted dry zucchini, dark chocolate chunks for a treat…

*Life is too short not to heap your spices!*

In a medium sized bowl stir together your flour, oats, ground flax (if using), and spices. Add to this mixture your yogurt and milk or whatever combination of liquid you desire. Stir. This will be a stiff dough. You may want to use your hands to make sure all dry ingredients have become wet. Cover the dough ball (still in the bowl) with a piece of plastic wrap and leave to rest on your counter for as little as 8 and up to 24 hours.

When you are ready to finish up your muffins, grab a smaller size bowl and whisk together your sweetener of choice, the melted butter or coconut oil (not too hot), 2 eggs, salt, and vanilla. Once nicely incorporated add your baking powder and baking soda. Whisk again.

Now, this is the strange part. This is why I only have finished product pictures of these muffins. I was not sure if this little experiment was going to turn out. We never know unless we try!

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and make sure your middle oven rack is ready to go. Pour your liquid onto the dough ball. Wash your hands, and dive in. You need to squoosh and squoosh and break up that dough ball to incorporate the liquid. It seems crazy, but it works. I can’t even imagine doing this with a spoon. As you squoosh, try to break up every little clump your fingers come across. Takes a little bit of time, but I must say, it is worth the effort. Once your dough looks like normal muffin batter, stir in your add ins. Fill your muffins cups 2/3 full.

I made 12 regular size muffins, 12 mini muffins, and then a random muffin pancake. I heated up my cast iron, took that random bit of dough that was left over in my bowl, and gave a pancake a try. It worked! Spread it out a little bit, give it some time, and you will have a delicious muffin pancake to enjoy.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 to 25 minutes (keep an eye on them) depending on the size of your muffin tins. Enjoy warm with butter or honey or homemade jam or a slice of cheese or yogurt cheese or egg salad… Mercy! The possibilities are endless! These muffins freeze beautifully and keep on the counter for a week or so. A slight warm up for the older muffins does bring back that fresh out of the oven experience. Delish!

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Weekly meal plans for you and your family*
  • Access to 8 online classes

*included in premium membership

Comments

1. Kelli says

After those yummy waffles, I am going to have to try all of your recipes!!! How much grated carrot would you use? The other add-ins I think I could handle, but since carrot is wet, I wasn’t sure if I should just throw some in. You could just email me with ALL of your recipes! I think I have all of Wardee’s!

2. Erin VL says

Kelli- You are so sweet! :-) I used 1 carrot for the last batch I made. I bet I could’ve even used more. If you make them, I’d love to know how they turn out! Thanks for the compliment!

They are similar, Tara. C. has been begging to cook something with me. He really wants to make Erin’s waffles. He started a blog a few months ago, but is short on posts. :) Every day since Erin’s waffle recipe, he’s been saying, “When are we going to make the waffles, Mom? I want to do a post on my blog!” So we’ll either do the waffles or these muffins. Or both!

4. Missy says

I made these last week and they were delicious! For an add in, I did grated carrots. The kids loved them! The oatmeal gave these a really nice touch!

5. Karen says

I just made these yesterday and they are so good and moist. I added some chopped dates to the batter. They are not too sweet but definitely a nice sweet treat for breakfast etc.
    Thanks again for sharing. Oh, I noticed that there was no salt but they were very good without it and did not miss it.

6. Erin VL says

Thanks for letting me know you made the muffins Karen! So glad you enjoyed them. :-) And thanks for the heads up on the salt. I need to edit the recipe and put in 1/2 tsp.
    I am curious if you used your hands or if you were able to get it to work with a spoon or a mixer?

7. Erin VL says

Hi Missy! So glad you enjoyed the muffins. I love adding grated carrots to my muffins. A little color, a little texture, and a little more nutrition. Thanks for letting me know! I see I accidentally left out 1/2 tsp. of salt. Hopefully you didn’t miss it. I’m going to edit that right now. :-)

8. Erin says

Amanda-What a wonderful comment to wake up to this morning! Thanks for letting me know. I am so glad you enjoyed them. And, I must take a moment to say, “Congratulations to you!” :-)

9. Mandy says

I made these for breakfast after having them recommended by a friend. She was so impressed I had to try them. They turned out beautifully. Thanks for the recipe! I added in a ripe banana and it worked great.

10. Diana says

Do you think these would work slightly juicy fresh/frozen fruits? I’m thinking blueberry or even strawberry rhubarb….. Just not sure if the juiciness would throw off the texture.

11. Erin says

Diana- I think it would be delicious with a strawberry rhubarb combo or blueberries. Just make sure you have the batter all mixed before you stir in your fresh or frozen fruit. Delish!

12. Diana says

Yay! Thanks, Erin! I have some strawberries and a bit of rhubarb left from making jam and couldn’t think what to do with it. Then I remembered this recipe I wanted to try and thought a Strawberry Rhubarb Muffin would be good – especially using this recipe for the muffin base! :) I’ll let you know how it turns out!

I stumbled across this website in my search for a soaked muffin recipe to try. This looks like a great site! Anyway, I baked the muffins, but mine came out a little dry. It could have been our oven, which seems to have a tendency to run a little on the hot side. (We’re in a new place and I haven’t completely gotten used to it yet.) Or it could have been that I used whole sugar and not maple syrup or honey. At any rate, they were pretty crumbly… but the taste was good, and after we finished all the muffins, I looked at the huge heap of dried-out crumbs on the plate and thought, wow, that looks a lot like cereal. Only it’s not processed and it would actually be good for me! So I dumped the crumbs in a bowl and poured some raw milk on them. It was AMAZING! Thank you so much for your part in this great discovery. I’m going to be making this a lot in the future! I made another batch today and turned the whole thing into cereal. All except for a few taste-test bites, anyway. :) Thanks for posting!

• Erin says

Hi Stephanie- You did stumble upon a wonderful site; Wardee is great! :-) I’m happy to hear you got the muffins to work out for you… even if in cereal form! As far as the dryness/crumbliness goes… maybe the bake time was a bit too long? or the batter was a bit too dry? or maybe you used whole wheat pastry flour instead of hard red? Let me know if you need any other suggestions, but in the meantime, enjoy your cereal!

It could have been the bake time. I just checked them periodically – our oven doesn’t have a timer, which didn’t help, haha. I don’t even know how long I ended up baking them. Or it could have been the flour. The first time, I used a combination of whole wheat and white flour. The second time I used a combination of whole wheat pastry and regular whole wheat. ??? I’ll probably keep experimenting, especially now that I know that I can’t really mess up. :D If the muffins don’t work right, just crumble, dry, and add milk!