Vanilla Jill’s and Ducks Swimming

My Tuesday Twister posts are my weekly round-up of what’s going on in my kitchen and our lives, as it pertains to GNOWFGLINS. We try as much as possible to make use of “God’s natural, organic, whole foods, grown locally and in season.” So here we go – I’ll catch you up on what’s twisting in my kitchen this week!

I can’t think of anything new I cooked this week. I was out for 4 of the last 7 days, which is strange. I’m wiped out from it, because I’m not used to being on the go so much. I like being home. :-)

[flickrslideshow acct_name=”suchtreasures” id=”72157623710105465″ margin=”20″]

So for my Twister post, I’m sharing this slideshow that my daughter A. put together. We got a big tub for the ducks (until we put in a pond). Only they weren’t using it off in the woods where we put it. And also it was too high, I think. So Jeff moved it to right smack dab next to the barn and buried it in gravel. Two of the three ducks have used it; they walked right up the gravel path and into it (following a cleverly laid path of seeds). For more on our ducks and animals, my sweet A. and B. do a great job with the updates on their blogs. A.’s BlogB.’s Blog

On Saturday, we went to Eugene to visit a new shop opened up by our friends Tim and Megan Stevens – Vanilla Jill’s (click the name to visit their Facebook page, and become a fan!). Vanilla Jill’s is a local, handmade, frozen yogurt shop. Featuring low sugar and Nancy’s organic kefir, their frozen yogurt is full of live, active cultures in 5 flavors – vanilla beans, chocolate, tart, coconut-lime (that one is non-dairy), and a seasonal flavor (right now, carrot-cinnamon). They’ve got loads of toppings, too. When we were there, I splurged and got mud pie, one of their shop specials. Oh, it was good! The rest of the family was more conservative, choosing strawberries and caramel/chocolate syrup as toppings for their vanilla bean yogurt. So good! I want to go back. :D More of my photos on Facebook.

So, that’s it for me – what’s twisting in your kitchen? To participate in the Tuesday Twister Blog Carnival, visit this post.

Comments

I mentioned your duck experiment to a friend of mine whose family raises chickens. He said he would discuss getting ducks with his parents, but I don’t think that they will be buying more birds for a year or so.

We’re getting so eager for our little ducklings that we ordered from a hatchery – we chose Khaki Campbell ducks from Holderread Farm in Corvallis, Oregon. However, they’ve gotten so many orders that they’re not positive they can fill our order. If we get them, it will be in June. We can’t wait!

Ben – what kind of chickens does your friend raise? For eggs? Meat? Both?

Millie – Too bad the yogurt shop is an hour away. :D Or maybe that’s good. :) Otherwise, we’d be there too much!

Will and I are excited to check out Vanilla Jills…. it’s great to be able to support local, wholesome foods and stores. I’m getting ready this lovely NW morning to try the sourdough English muffins that were guest posted on here. Let’s hope they go well!

Sarah – I just found your comment in my spam box – I’m sorry, but glad I found it. Have you been to Vanilla Jill’s by now? What flavor(s) did you choose? Hope you like the English muffins – can’t image you wouldn’t. They are amazing!

Yeah, I wondered about where my comment went? Hopefully this one shows up. :) We’re planning a trip there next Friday. I’ll let you know. The muffins turned out ok! Although I think I could improve on them… my batter was way too thin I think… as I lost about a muffins worth on my hands and the countertop. Oh well – next time!
    .-= Sarah´s last blog post… What I Really Ate This Week =-.

Sarah – Your last comment went to spam, too! :( I think you should write to Akismet ( http://akismet.com/ ) and give them your email and blog address and tell them you’re not spam. I’ve identified your comments as “not spam” twice now, hoping to train Akismet, but it isn’t learning very well.

Once this happened to me when commenting on other blogs. I’m certain it was because ‘gnowfglins’ is not a word. :) Once I informed Akismet, they fixed it. Perhaps they’re identifying the ‘krzy’ in your name as spam. That’s just my speculation; I don’t know for sure.

On the muffins, you do have to play w/ them to get the right amount of flour so they’re workable. I’m making a batch tonight… We love them!

Hey, sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I had forgotten about this.

He says that the ducks are Buff Orpingtons. (I am not sure if that is the correct spelling). They only raise them for eggs.