My Tuesday Twister

My Tuesday Twister posts are my weekly round-up of what’s going on in my kitchen and our lives, as it pertains to GNOWFGLINS. We try as much as possible to make use of “God’s natural, organic, whole foods, grown locally and in season.” So here we go – I’ll catch you up on what’s twisting in my kitchen this week!

This week…

Sourdough Bread with Hard White Wheat – I’m all about hard white wheat this week! I made an Azure Standard order last month, and added hard white wheat for the first time in a long time. What inspired me was tasting my friend Christina’s yummy bread from it, and then seeing how inexpensive it is compared to the hard red wheat I’ve been buying from another supplier over the past year. Not only am I happy about saving some money, but everyone loves the lighter and softer texture and milder taste of this wheat. When I baked the first loaves of sourdough with it, everyone ate it with kind of wondrous looks on their faces as they said, “Is this sourdough?” You see, it didn’t taste sour (to us), even after 15 to 17 hours of souring. It is funny, though, because I know in a few months if I start using hard red wheat again, everyone will die with delight because of the richer, nuttier flavor of that wheat! (We love good food, what can I say?)

Erin’s Sourdough English Muffins – Oh, yeah! Have you made the English muffins yet? You should! They’re amazing. Our weekend batch became the bread of several types of sandwiches, including wild salmon and hamburgers. So good to have lacto-fermented mayonnaise on them! Now, today, I must make more mayonnaise. Oh, and more English muffins! :D

So, that’s it for me – what’s twisting in your kitchen? To participate in the Tuesday Twister Blog Carnival, visit this post.

Comments

Is the hard white wheat the same as Prairie Gold (use to be called Golden 86, I believe)? If so, I’ve use this a lot for my breads because some family members preferred it. I tend to like the nuttier taste.

I’m a bit behind in my eCourse and need to make the pasta still. Do you use this hard white wheat for that as well?
    .-= Amy @ Homestead Revival´s last blog post… Tuesday Twister #4 =-.

Amy – Yes, I think it is Prairie Gold. And yes, it can be used for pasta. I prefer hard red or kamut for pasta though, pasta needs nutty! ;)

2. Erin VL says

Beautiful looking english muffins, Wardee! Delish! :-)
    Did you ever share with us your one rise sourdough tip? I wonder if you did and I missed it. Or maybe I’m confused and you do a rise, punch down, second rise…

Erin –

No I haven’t yet. I am waiting until after we do sourdough bread in the eCourse to share more of my routine. But a couple brief notes are:

Sometimes I make my sourdough dough and put it right in loaf pans, then bake when the loaves are doubled in size. That is for a 7-8 hour souring. This scenario works well if I’m doing bread dough first thing in the morning and baking in the late afternoon/evening.

For a 15-17 hour souring, I let the dough rise in a big bowl for a few hours (until double), then shape into loaves/put in loaf pans for 12 hours or so, then bake. I put a little less dough in each pan because they tend to get bigger than double (especially if the house is warm). This scenario works well if I’m making bread dough in the afternoon and baking the next morning.

4. Jed says

Wardee,

Can you explain a little more about how you order from Azure Standard? Their website is a little vague about shipping. Do you belong to a “drop” group or just make large enough purchases for home delivery? I have been buuying bulk wheat from a variety of online sources already but am always looking for diverse providers.

jed

ps Any word on how your online class is going would be greatly appreciated.

Jed –

I belong to a drop group. This way, there are no shipping charges. If you order on your own, you must pay for UPS delivery, plus a fee if you don’t meet the minimum amount. To find a drop group in your area, I suggest you contact customer service so they can put you in touch with a local group.

It is not always convenient to make it to the drops, at least for me, which is why I don’t order every month. The group that is closest to me receives orders late in the evening and I would have to meet the truck. So I choose to order through a drop group further away – the family that coordinates this group will hang onto orders for a few days so people can pick up when it is convenient.

The eCourse is going fantastic – thanks for asking! There was a great turnout, we’re all keeping very busy and excited, and I look forward to offering it again in the fall. If you have any other questions, I’d be happy to answer.

Can’t wait until you share your sourdough recipe. I’ve not yet settled on one for whole wheat loaves — I keep getting them too sour, or not enough rise. Yours look beautiful in the photo! I already have local, organic, hard white wheat (how amazing is that???), so I know that’s not an issue with the flavor.

7. Jed says

Wardee,

Thanks for getting back to me. Believe it or not, the folks at Azure are on spring break for a couple more days so I’ll contact them later about any possible drop groups in my area.

Also, while I’m at it. Awhile back you had a guest (and introduced me to the person) who runs the CheeseSlave blog on your site. To make a long story not too long, through you, to her and an interview she had with Peggy Sutton from To Your Health Sprouted Flour, and consequential emails with Peggy… well….within a week or two I’ll be the proud owner of a new Retsel Flour Grinder. Can’t wait.

Sometimes it is nice to acknowledge the people who helped you get to where you are…so–THANKS!

If I have any questions (right now, I’m trying to simply apply what I am learning from all you wonderful teachers) along the way, I’ll be sure to ask.

jed

That’s interesting that hard white would be that much different (I just thought wheat was wheat)! I actually ordered white wheat from Azure, at the same time I ordered red, because I thought it would be like the King Arthur White Whole Wheat (but it isn’t- this has the bran I think where as KA doesn’t apparently). I will have to try it in my bread & see if it helps! Thanks :)

9. Kelli says

Wardee,
    Do you have any idea what the difference between HARD white wheat and SOFT white wheat? Just curious.
    I just printed a bunch more recipes from your site. I hope someone approaches you about making a cookbook!