Lacto-Fermented Mayonnaise

Today is the Lacto-Fermentation Blog Carnival at Sustainable Eats. Annette, the author of Sustainable Eats, lives in Seattle. In 2009, she

“vowed to re-channel my grocery money away from mono-crop farmers, processed food companies and animal feed lots. I did not buy foods from outside Washington state until I had exhausted all local options and I gave up out of season foods.”

Her blog tells of what she’s done and learned as she and her family have transformed their in-city 1/4-acre lot into a productive vegetable garden and orchard (though the orchard isn’t producing yet… too young). In 2009, their food fed them from May through mid-December. In 2010, she’s changing her preservation strategy from primarily canning to lacto-fermentation. Her family will be eating even more seasonally, and putting up foods using traditional lacto-fermentation methods that increase nutrition. Read more about lacto-fermentation.

For Annette’s blog carnival, I’m sharing the lacto-fermented mayonnaise I made last week. I combined two recipes to create a mayo that worked with what I already had in my pantry. Sometimes the pantry determines what one can do, wouldn’t you agree? ;) The recipe contenders were: Kelly the Kitchen Kop’s LF Mayo (she says it tastes just like Hellmans) and the LF mayonnaise in Nourishing Traditions on page 137.

You might wonder why a lacto-fermented mayonnaise? Nourishing Traditions has the answer:

“Homemade mayonnaise imparts valuable enzymes, particularly lipase, to sandwiches, tuna salad, chicken salad, and many other dishes and is very easy to make in a food processor. The addition of whey [for lacto-fermentation] will help your mayonnaise last longer, adds enzymes and increases nutrient content.”

I have read where people don’t like the mayo in Nourishing Traditions that much. We hadn’t had mayonnaise for many years (due to my son’s previous egg allergy), so I figured we might not have any mayo-taste memories for comparison. The NT mayo uses olive oil for the oil, which is admittedly a pronounced flavor, but we liked it (and it was amazing in our egg salad). If I’d had some sesame oil (as called for in Kelly’s recipe), I would have used some sesame oil in place of the olive oil for balancing. So feel free to do that.

Want more condiments? Also see lacto-fermented ketchup and honey-dill mustard.

Lacto-Fermented Mayonnaise

All ingredients should be room temperature.

• 3 egg yolks
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (or Erin’s lacto-fermented mustard)
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon whey
  • 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • sea salt, to taste (about 8 pinches for me)

Combine egg yolks, mustard, vinegar, whey and salt in a food processor bowl. Blend well, about 30 seconds. With the food processor running, add the olive oil in as slow a drizzle as possible. It will emulsify into mayonnaise. It took me about 5 minutes, at least, to slowly pour in the 1 cup of olive oil and complete the emulsification. Adjust salt to taste.

To lacto-ferment and help the mayonnaise last longer, leave it out in an air-tight jar or container at room temperature for 7 hours. Then refrigerate. Enjoy!

Please visit Sustainable Eats’ Lacto-Fermentation Blog Carnival for lots of other lacto-fermentation recipes! Also check out all the lacto-fermented recipes on this blog, including raw cheese recipes, naturally pickled turnips and beets, Kombucha, and water kefir.

Want more condiments? Also see our lacto-fermented ketchup and honey-dill mustard.

Learn to cook the GNOWFGLINS way in less than an hour a week!

• Access to 8 online traditional cooking classes

Comments

Wardee thanks so much for the post! We go through a lot of mayo in the summer for potato salad and I make aioli too but I’ve struggled with the coconut vs olive oil flavors. We aren’t really happy with either taste. Did you make Kelly’s and found it to really taste like Hellman’s? And did you find that yours tasted like olive oil? I do sometimes buy the Wilderness Family Naturals brand but we don’t like the way that tastes. Who knew mayo would be such a sticking point? But then it’s all because I don’t want to use vegetable oils. I really should research sunflower oil more since I can grow lots of those but the olives just don’t produce in Seattle.
    .-= Sustainable Eats´s last blog post… Makin’ Bacon =-.

• Anja says

lovely recipe! i’ve always struggled with the correct ratio of egg yolks to oil. this looks perfect. for flavor, i use equal parts extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil. best of both worlds. not coconutty or to fruity. :)

Annette – I’d say you have more gourmet tastes than we do. ;) We haven’t had mayo for so long and we really liked this, but didn’t compare it to anything else. I think I’d like using some sesame instead of olive to tone that flavor down, but even so, it was really good. The ACV and mustard were great additions. I’d like not to use vegetable oils also and stick with oils I usually have on hand.

I didn’t make Kelly’s as is. She says it tastes like Hellman’s; I edited the post to make that more clear.

This is really a new concept for me – lacto fermented mayo! Who knew? I think I’ll give it a try in the near future, but I’m a bit leery of egg being out for 7 hours. I know… the good bacteria will grow during this time, but getting old beliefs out of one’s head takes some time. But I’ve gained confidence as I have tried new things realizing that some of these “rules” we’ve been told are more “myth” than truth when you do it the NT way.
    .-= Amy @ Homestead Revival´s last blog post… Good Friday =-.

4. Jami says

Wardee, what do you think about using organic grape seed oil? I like how it doesn’t have a ‘taste’ really. I don’t really like the taste of olive oil much, but next time I’m shopping I can try to pick up some sesame oil.

I’m a mayonnaise lover, and can’t wait to give this a try.

Are you going to do ketchup next….?

Wardee, I loved this post. I make my own mayo using pretty much the same recipe. In Spain this is how one eats mayo no bottles and so I LOVE the olive oil taste, lol!! My ensaladilla rusa wouldn’t be the same ;) However, I have yet to try to ferment it and like the idea of it lasting longer. I usually only make enough for whatever I’m using it for. Generally salads or aioli. Will give this a try. How long do you think it lasts when fermenting? Thanks Wardee!!
    .-= Diana@Spain in Iowa´s last blog post… Lacto-Fermentation – A traditional and natural way to preserve natures bounty =-.

Hi,

I recently started reading your blog. I was wondering if you can use regular apple cider vinegar if you don’t have raw, if that will alter the recipes. I’ve started to switch to more raw foods but I still have a large amount of regular apple cider vinegar to use up.
    .-= Satsuki´s last blog post… D & D is the devil!!! =-.

Amy – With the whey, leaving the eggs out is totally safe. You already know this and once you do it, you’ll see! :) Enjoy!

Jami – Grapeseed oil is controversial. Some people claim it is highly processed. However, I do use it occasionally and am comfortable with my source (Napa Valley Naturals) in raising natural grapes and using a no-heat, no-chemical expeller-pressed process to extract the oil. I think it would make a good, mild oil to use here. In general we should use fewer of the omega-6 vegetable oils as we can.

Diana – Ha! I’m so glad to hear that. I love the flavor of olive oil, too. That’s my Middle Eastern heritage, just like your Spanish heritage. :D NT says this will last for several months and become firmer with time. If unfermented, it only lasts about 2 weeks.

• Karen says

I don’t use whey in any of my vegetable ferments. Mostly because we have a dairy sensitivity in the house… but also, simplest is good for me. The vegetables always ferment fine with just salt. I do make my own mayo, but haven’t tried it lacto fermented. Would it be unsafe to try it without whey?

Satsuki – With this recipe, you may substitute non-raw apple cider vinegar. Actually, you can do it for most any use of ACV, with a few exceptions.

That’s not to say that it will be just as beneficial. For instance, if using to soak grains or beans, the raw part of the ACV (live cultures) will aid in the soaking beyond what the acidic part of the ACV does.

So… to boil it down, sometimes ACV provides acid and/or flavor (like in this recipe), and sometimes it provides more, like cultures to help in soaking or to improve digestion.

I hope that makes sense!

9. Lori says

Where do I obtain “whey”? We do not have a raw milk resource here, is “whey” something you can purchase at the grocery store?
    Thanks!

10. lisa says

Olive oil varies a lot….If you prefer a milder less olive oil taste – try a lighter olive oil that is really fresh – this oil can go rancid quickly – I just bought a different variety locally that was pressed in March – light and kinda of fruity – it made some great mayo…you could also try weaning yourself to like the more robust flavor of oil oil by trying half sunflower and half olive – or the same with the sesame….we did that for a while until I could find a fresher lighter source of extra virgin olive oil…

11. Lori says

Ohhhhh!! Thank you so much!! I have made “yogurt cheese” before, which is wonderful, btw! I just didn’t understand that I could save & use the other part! Thank you so very much. This is MOST helpful!! (I’m new at all of this… obviously!)

12. miichelle says

Hi Wardee, I want to leave a comment about the fat controversy. I have always used butter, because I didn’t like the taste or feel of margarine. Plus my chiropractor told me years ago that hydrogenated oil was destructive to our joints so that was out. My doctor(MD) told me years ago that I have high cholesterol and was so mad at me when I wouldn’t take his prescription for meds. I really believe the Lord was guiding me because I didn’t “know” what I was doing. But I am still confused because I am about fifty pounds over weight. I don’t eat chips or bread, sweets excessevly. I can go for weeks without them or other processed foods as I usually make all my own treats. I usually eat salads, fish, chicken. Last night I ate two small potatoes, some cauliflower, green beans, tomato steamed… with butter, olive oil and nutritional yeast, and some baby greens…..yummy. Not alot, just one plate and no seconds, all organic. This is how I usually eat….and I am still over weight. The other night I had a chicken leg, no skin, cooked in a little chichen broth to steam and some salad with…cottage cheese, yogurt and Vegenaise grapeseed mayo mixed for dressing, so delicious….I love it. As you can see I eat very healthly but I am still gaining weight, very slowly. I also walk for an hour at the mall in the mornings before it opens. What am I doing wrong? I love your website and know you aren’t a ‘diet doctor” but you can imagine my confusion. Oh, I eat eggs too, about six a week, organic, in omlets or soft boiled.

Michelle – I will email you privately about your weight issues. Not immediately, as we are about to have an 11th birthday party for my daughter B., but sometime soon in the coming days.

13. Tina M says

Thank you Wardee for this post! I just had to try this today and it came out great! It came together easier than any of the other recipes I’ve tried for homemade mayo :) I can’t do the olive oil (flavor) but I tried 1/2 and 1/2 Grape Seed and Sesame oils. So good! Will go great in tomorrow’s deviled eggs.

14. michelle says

Thank you Wardee, I will be looking forward to hearing from you. But guess what, I just had a fantastic read at the kitchen kops site, all about eating grass fed beef and how good it is for us. Plus I have been rereading your emails over this last year, I have them all saved as they never cease to inform me. All about how you render the fat from your beef to use in cooking. So I went out and got some grass fed burger at Whole Foods and Oh my goodness, how delicious……and expensive. But I do realize the benefit of it. Happy Birthday to your daughter.
    Michelle

15. Holly Michele says

After 6 failed attempts at making homemade mayo with recipes from various blogs over the years, I finally gave up. Each new batch got the thumbs down from my family. I figured out it was the olive oil in all its variations. The closest I got to that ‘Hellmans’ taste was by using Bertolli Extra Light olive oil. I figured with the amount of ingredients I wasted, it just wasn’t worth it to me anymore. So we stayed with Hellmans Real Mayo from the store until soy and canola oils got the boot in my family. I discovered WAPF and Mary Enig’s teachings. I then began a desperate search for mayo without the soy and and canola. Where one door closes another one opens and bingo! I found it. This mayo is based on the writings of Dr. Mary Enig’s teachings. It is somewhat pricey, but I did the math and would be spending far more money if I had to make this from scratch. My family goes bonkers over this stuff and it goes into anything and everything we eat that needs mayo. It is without a doubt, one of the best investments I’ve ever made for my family. Just wanted to share my find in case anyone out there has also had trouble making the mayo thing from scratch and so would just rather buy something instead.

Ooooh! This is great! About how much longer will this mayonnaise last compared to regular homemade, which is only good for a week or two?

I make our own salad dressings and sometimes like to use homemade mayo in them for creamier dressing variations, however, the yolks in the mayo mean the dressing won’t stay good for very long and needs to be used up quickly. So I’m excited to use this mayo instead!
    .-= Salihah´s last blog post… The Little Sultan Has Arrived =-.

Salihah -

Enjoy!

Wardee, I read somewhere (I don’t think it was on this thread, but I haven’t had time to go back and re-read all of the comments to make sure!) that “Eat Fat, Lose Fat” recommends Haines safflower mayo. So would maybe 1/2 safflower and 1/2 olive oil be ok? I’ve made mayo with all olive oil and it just isn’t going to fly with my family. My hubby is a Kraft man all the way.:) He eats a ton of mayonnaise in the summertime and I am desperately looking for a soy-free alternative that he will eat.

I know that safflower oil has no omega-3s so it should be used sparingly. But since it’s basically tasteless, maybe it would cut that olive oil flavor if I used a blend.

Leah – In NT, Sally Fallon Morell says you can also use sunflower oil. I think that would make a more mild taste. I think safflower oil would be good, too.

Thanks for the tip to add olive oil to the boiling! My eggs are never more than a week old and they all are horrible to peel!

19. Jami says

If adding olive oil to the boiling eggs doesn’t help – steaming your eggs instead of boiling is another way to achieve easy peel no matter their age.

Jami – I must have missed your comment. How do you steam eggs?

Shyla – Enjoy! It is wonderful with egg salad. The mustard and apple cider vinegar go really well!

Amy – Yes on eating while pregnant. I’m not a doctor, so please take my advice as kindly meant, but you should make your own choices. It is my opinion that when pregnant or nursing, women should eat MORE probiotic rich foods and egg yolks, as they provide rich nutrition to keep mom and baby healthy! Here’s more info on a good diet for pregnancy: http://www.westonaprice.org/Diet-for-Pregnant-and-Nursing-Mothers.html

21. Jami says

Yes, steaming is the trick for getting egg shells off of fresh eggs.

I have used my pot, water and steam basket, for about 10 minutes after the water starts to produce steam. But here is another suggested method -

I steamed them for 12 minutes in my electric pressure cooker with the weight removed. I put 1 qt of water in the bottom and 10 eggs in the basket. the water was just below the basket. I kept the temp set at about 300*. and started the timing when there was a steady stream of steam coming out the top where the weight usually goes. the little button that pops up to indicate there is pressure did pop up despite the weight being removed indicating that there was some pressure in the cooker, so that might or might not contribute to a difference in timing when steaming with another method. that little button is pretty sensitive though and I can’t imagine there was much pressure.

This is a good way to get cooked eggs, easy to peel and clean egg shells for your kefir :~)

I love homemade mayo!! The olive oil taste was hard for us too so I use safflower oil. I figure it is much better for us than the soy or canola alternatives. My friend is taking your ecourse…so I’m happy to finally stumble onto your blog (via “Real Food for Less Money” blog). Have a great holiday weekend!
    .-= Denise @ Creative Kitchen´s last blog post… Time for grilling and the BEST sauce ever! =-.

23. Peg says

Wardee, thanks so much for this … I have also tried several types of homemade mayo that my family didn’t like (dh is strictly a Hellman’s man), so I had given up. I’ll try this one, and Kelly the Kitchen Kop’s recipe, and see how it goes!

Hey Denise! :)

24. Teri says

This is amazing! I never new about lacto fermenting before and I am loving learning al these new things and folding them into what we already do. I would love a kosher pickle recipe!

About the eggs, if you can get used to thinking ahead about meals as much of us has to do to make things work with our ferments and wild yeasts and things, then you may be able to appreciate this.

The reason the eggs are hard to peel is because the air bubble inside is small. When they are stored by the bird in a cool please or in your fridge where it is cool then that air bubble stays small so that the embryo will be viable. if the air bubble is bigger the egg will start to float. Older eggs from the store start to float for example and you can tell just how old they are by this! isn’t that amazing?

However since we know leaving eggs out doesn’t hurt them I am of a mind to share that a day on the counter at a moderate room temperature is worth a week in the fridge to that air pocket. Most people who’s eggs are never more then a week old never refrigerate there eggs at all. especially if cold storage space is at a premium.

I wanted to be able to share something! thanks for your notes as well!

I just made this! I used coconut vinegar, dijon mustard, 1/4 cup each coconut + sesame oil, 3/4 cup olive oil. I added extra spices to balance out the flavor as well: extra tsp dijon mustard, 1 tsp salt, pinch smoked paprika, dash black pepper, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder. It’s fermenting on my counter now!

26. Andrea says

Meagan – yours looks like a whey free version? Am I right? I can’t have whey…

Wardee is there another option to use instead of whey?

Thanks!

Hello Wardee,
    I would like to try this with my current mayo that I make. Would you be so kind as I take a look at it and see how much whey I will need to add to it? Your recipe is very close to mine with just some differences.
    1 whole egg
    1 Tbs. Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
    1/4 tsp. dry mustard powder
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1c grapeseed oil

Thanks so much!
    Joanna :)

28. Rachel Olson says

Thank you. I just tried this and was wishing to eat something with it right away. I guess I will wait for the salmon melts we are going to have tomorrow.

29. Kristin says

I know this is a very old post, but I love this idea! Do you know if it’s safe to substitute lemon juice for the vinegar. That is what I normally use when I make mayo. Thanks!

Sure — either vinegar or lemon juice will work. They’re for flavor and acidity, but the fermentation is done by the cultures in the whey.

I’m going to give this a shot! I do make my own mayonnaise (using “light” olive oil), but I would love to add more nutrients.

You know, I’ve never had success with an all-yolk recipe. It just doesn’t firm up for me! For some reason I need a white in there too. So I use 1 whole egg and 2 yolks in my mayo. :)

31. Kristen says

This last time I made this mayo I accidentally left it out overnight, making the room temperature rest time about 15 hours…. do you think this is safe to eat? I’m pregnant, so I feel a little bit more tentative. Also, I followed the recipe and made sure to use whey. Thanks for the feedback, Wardee!

32. Ashley says

You may have already commented about this but I was wondering about how long does the mayo in this recipe stay good for? I just made it for the first time and am in love!! Thank you for sharing such deliciousness!

33. Terah Kubicek says

Hi Wardee. This is made with raw eggs, right? We buy eggs from the store. Is this recipe going to be okay to make without the freshest of eggs? I know there is much talk about salmonella poisoning with raw eggs, but I guess I don’t understand enough about it. Thanks!

Terah — In my opinion, you shouldn’t use store-bought eggs raw. The recipe would *work* but I’m not comfortable recommending that anyone eat raw, conventional eggs. :( I’m sorry!

• Geliza says

I know this is a bit late but when using store-bought eggs to make mayo I’ve always added a small piece of chopped garlic to it to kill off any bugs, never had problems with it. Though of course you have to like the taste of garlic!

I use whole eggs to make mayonnaise and my favorite eggs for mayonnaise are duck eggs. This does make the mayonnaise less stiff so if I want a real industrial grade mayonnaise that will stay stiff and be less moist then I can leave the white out. Duck eggs are mostly yolk with much less white than a chicken egg.

35. Coyote Vick says

I know this is old, but for anyone coming back to this recipe and not liking their oil choices (for those of us who don’t like the overbearing EVOO taste ;) ) a great oil choice is avocado oil. It’s a fruit oil, so you don’t have the nasty PUFAs and it has a neutral flavor. It’s an oil that doesn’t get a whole lot of attention, but it’s a wonderful oil. :D

36. Alexis says

I accidently forgot to put the mayo in the fridge after 7 hours :) Do you think that spoiled it or messed it up at all? It was about 12-14hrs that it sat out. Thanks!

Cuisinart food processors have a hole in the bottom of the pusher for drizzling the oil in. Cheaper processors may not but you can drill a small hole-3/16″ is a good size in your pusher and have a hands free mayonaise that is easy to make without worrying whether you are drizzling too fast.

38. Janine says

This sounds so simple and wonderful! I have a question about the whey, my son is allergic to whey specifically. At least cow’s whey. He can drink goat milk. This may seem like a dumb question but can you get usable whey from goat’s yogurt? I would still be a little leery since he is so very allergic to it from cows I am afraid of it all together. Can you make this recipe without the whey at all?

Thanks!

I am wondering if you can use the whole egg? i have seen that some recipes go for it some don’t.

Do you think I could do this with a wisk or fork? I can make whip cream with not but a fork… will my arm ‘fall off’ do you think? 5 mins in your counter top mixer… I don’t have a stick mixer anymore or my blender. Maybe a hand blender with the beaters you know? I have an electric one of those… I bet that would work :-) any thoughts?

Teri

• Tom Gibson says

I use whole duck eggs to make mayonnaise and they work really well but if you use whole chicken eggs your mayonnaise will be wetter and runnier. That might be OK if you are using the mayonnaise for a dressing. Duck eggs work to make thick spreadable mayonnaise because they are almost all yolk with very little white. Duck eggs are also richer in minerals than chicken eggs.

40. Janine says

I started making my own mayo recently and have tried so many recipes! I think your ratio is absolutely my favorite. I have been using lemon juice instead of vinegar though. I read in Nourishing Traditions that you can use expeller pressed sunflower oil if the olive is too strong for you. I was using all Sunflower but recently started using a mix. I use olive till it begins to emulsify then switch to sunflower. Not there yet but I’ll make it! Maybe once I reach all olive oil I can switch to vinegar too!
    I never liked mayo at all but now that I have had it home made and so flavorful I can’t go back! Thanks

• Tom Gibson says

If your olive oil is bitter it is rancid. I eat rich fruity olive oil by the tablespoon full but it isn’t something that I like in mayonnaise. Try organic high oleic sunflower seed oil or one of the other high oleic oils that have been developed to be a healthier choice. Oils need to be kept in a cool dark place and not exposed to oxygen as much as possible to keep them from going rancid (oxidized). Oxidized oils should never be eaten as they are very unhealthy for you.

• Krista says

I was going to make another batch to dilute the salt, but I realized after looking at your whey tutorial that I also used the wrong kind of whey! I heated the milk, then added lemon juice to make it curdle. Would the salt have fermented it? And is there a way to save this batch? It doesn’t taste good.

Beginners learning curve I guess!

41. Michael says

Dear Wardee,

Thank you for the great recipe. I have a quick question. For most of my fermented foods I either cover the jar loosely with something like a tea towel (buttermilk for example) or use an airlock seal (as in sauerkraut or kimchee). The fermented mayo recipe here and in most places suggests putting on a tight lid, or as you state use “an air-tight jar.”

Why is this? Can I simply use the loose tea towel method?

Thanks so much.

Sincerely,

Michael’

42. Jo Anne T says

I’ve made mayo many times, not always with whey in it, and have used a mixture of olive oil and organic sunflower seed oil. Lately have begun using organic avocado oil.

43. Katie says

If I made my mayo the other day without adding the whey can I just take it out of the fridge and add the whey today to ferment it, or is it too late now that it’s been prepared and refrigerated for a couple days?

1. [...] the bread of several types of sandwiches, including wild salmon and hamburgers. So good to have lacto-fermented mayonnaise on them! Now, today, I must make more mayonnaise. Oh, and more English [...]

2. [...] it is! Just scrape out with a spatula, fill up your jar and store for a week in the fridge. You can lacto-ferment your mayo to last longer but while on the Whole30 we are not allowed to have whey. And to be honest, we end [...]

3. […] Lacto-fermented Mayonnaise from GNOWFGLINS Lacto-fermented Honey Dill Mustard from GNOWFGLINS Homemade Dill Pickle Relish from Food Renegade Lacto-fermented Ketchup from GNOWFGLINS Quick Probiotic Barbecue Sauce from Nourishing Joy Lacto-fermented Guacamole from GNOWFGLINS Fermented Habañero Hot Sauce from Homemade Mommy Homemade Fish Sauce from Nourishing Joy […]