Sourdough English Muffins
Please welcome Erin, who is guest posting today to share her incredible sourdough English muffins! I know they’re incredible because I started a double batch right away on Sunday after receiving the recipe. Good heavens! My family is in love, and they’re so easy. Erin’s directions couldn’t be better and the pictures are spectacular. I will let Erin introduce herself…

I write from Anchorage, Alaska where my incredibly supportive husband, two precious boys and I are busy loving mountains, growing seeds, baking with sourdough, and preparing our hearts for Easter. We look forward to a summer of sunshine, hiking, gardening, fishing, travel and the addition of a few chickens to grace our backyard! Enjoy the English muffins, and thank you, Wardee, for all of the time and thought you put into your blog. You are appreciated!

I found this recipe by “jmonkey” at the Fresh Loaf several years ago. I have changed it a bit to make it more flexible around what flours and liquids one can use. I also incorporated the seeds as add-ins, and also more salt!

This recipe is included in our Sourdough A to Z eBook and/or demonstrated on video in our Sourdough eCourse. We’re open for enrollment any time — please join us!

Erin’s Sourdough English Muffins

• 1/2 cup sourdough starter (thick or thin)
  • 1 cup liquid (water*, milk, fermented dairy, coconut milk…)
  • 2 cups flour (your choice)
  • add-ins like seeds, dried fruit, or chopped nuts… (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon raw honey (or any other sweetener)
  • 3/4 to 1 teaspoon sea salt of choice
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

*Note: The English muffins will turn out if you use water instead of full fat or fermented dairy and if you add more flour initially for easier kneading. However, the results will not be as soft on the outside or as tender on the inside once you’ve finished the cooking.

Place 1/2 cup sourdough starter (thick or thin) into a medium size bowl. Pour onto that the 1 cup of liquid. This is the first place where the recipe is very flexible. Your liquid could be water, milk, any fermented dairy, coconut milk… Stir to combine starter and liquid. In this photo, I chose to water down some of my homemade yogurt. If your sourdough starter is very stiff, you might need an extra 1/4 cup of liquid. I have never added extra liquid.

Sourdough English Muffins

Once combined, add 2 cups of flour to the mixture. This is the second place where the recipe is very flexible. Use any combination of flours. I have used white wheat, whole wheat, and rye. I know there are a lot of spelt users out there and sprouted flour users, too. It’ll all work! The only flour I question is rice flour, but if used in combination with another flour, it might even work.

Sourdough English Muffins

Stir well to combine. Along with the flour, I often add in a couple tablespoons of ground flax seed or poppy and caraway seeds (when I make delicious rye sourdough english muffins). The soaking affects the seeds as well as the flour. So, great! Cover and let your dough sit overnight, even up to 24 hours.

Sourdough English Muffins

I’ve added these pictures to show you the thickness of my dough. The stiffness changes every time I make this recipe. Sometimes it is more wet. It really does not matter too much. In the morning, you will be able to tell that your sourdough has been at work.

Sourdough English Muffins

On top of your soaked dough, sprinkle 3/4 teaspoon salt (I use 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt), 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 tablespoon honey. Use a wooden spoon to push/cut/stir in your newly added ingredients. Don’t worry about incorporating it perfectly; you will be kneading it in just a moment.

This next part of the directions might feel a little strange, because you are kneading something that could be quite wet. I pour about 1 tablespoon of olive oil onto my counter and spread it around with my hand and then rub my hands together. I then dump out my dough onto the oiled spot and knead the dough for 2 to 3 minutes. The purpose of this kneading is to incorporate the honey, baking soda, and salt. After this, I take a pizza cutter and separate my dough into 8 equal portions.

Sourdough English Muffins

As you can see, the dough is quite wet. Up until this point we have not added any new flour. At this time, I do find it helpful to dust my hands with flour before I shape each muffin. You might prefer to use all-purpose flour for this dusting, or sprouted flour where the sprouting has done the work of soaking. I usually use what is on hand… whole wheat. Whatever.

With dusted hands, pick up a portion and gently shape it into your muffin. My muffins are usually about 1 finger thick and maybe 2-1/2 inches wide. Sometimes they are nice and round. Sometimes not. Size and shape are not important here. Place your muffins on a lightly floured or cornmealed (greased might work if you want to stay away from newly added flour) sheet of wax paper or parchment paper. Cover with a dish towel and let rest for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Sourdough English Muffins

About 5 minutes before you want to griddle/skillet your muffins, set the heat to mediumish. I usually set my cast iron to 4, the front of my stovetop griddle to 5 1/2, and the back of the griddle to 4 1/2. Each place distributes heat differently. You will figure out what works best for your situation. You don’t want the muffins to brown too quickly because the insides need a chance to cook. I also have found that I do not need to grease my skillet/griddle. Do what you think is best here as well.

Carefully transfer the muffins onto your heat source. Cook the muffins for about five minutes on each side. You can take a little peek every now and again to make sure the bottoms are not getting too brown. When it is time to flip, do this carefully. Your muffins will plump up beautifully, and you do not want to deflate them by being too rough. Cook for the second five minutes. Now, if you find that the outside edge of your muffin is not as done as you like, feel free to pop these into a 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes. I do not bother doing this.

Sourdough English Muffins

Mercy. I cannot express to you with words how good these are. Whether you are eating them fresh off the griddle, toasted, warmed, or room temperature, they are bound to bring a smile. My husband savors each sandwich as if it is a dessert. Incredible! The muffins pictured above used 1 cup rye and 1 cup whole wheat. I also added poppy and caraway seeds.

I’m shaking my head as I type. So, so good. Enjoy your muffins topped with butter. A truly nutritious treat! They last (if you can get them to last) for at least a week. I keep mine in a sealed container on the counter. They also freeze beautifully. Might want to slice them first. And it most definitely works to double or triple the recipe. Enjoy!

Sourdough English Muffins

Thanks, Erin! This recipe is going to bless so many! I’m sharing this post in Real Food Wednesday, hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop, also Pennywise Platter Thursday at The Nourishing Gourmet.

Do you love GNOWFGLINS?

Help us keep this site going by becoming a member! As a member, you get:

• access to 8 online classes (and counting!)
  • 100s of videos and print tutorials
  • eBook discounts
  • monthly learning bonus
  • access to exclusive forums

Comments

1. Sheri says

I absolutely LOVE LOVE these muffins. So easy to make and amazingly good. Toast with peanut butter and honey in the morning … oh, I’m wanting one again right now!!!

2. Kelli says

Thank you for the recipe! Are they hard to cut cleanly? Do they travel well if made into a sandwhich? I am going to have to try these.

3. Erin VL says

Hi Kelli,
    These definitely travel well. And as far as cutting cleanly, I recommend doing a partial cut all the way around the muffin and then twisting it open. Enjoy!

And Bethany, thanks for the compliment on my family! :-)

4. pampy says

Thanks Erin, i like the recipe and the pictures are great, can i know the type of camera you’re using because photography is one of my hobbies.

5. Martha says

The muffins look great! I killed my first attempt at sourdough starter, but once I get one going, I’m looking forward to trying these.

6. Erin VL says

Hi Pampy,
    The camera I use is a Canon Digital Rebel EOS. I think that is how you say it! Shows how much I know about cameras! :-)

Yeah Tiffany! So glad you enjoyed your muffins! :-) We’ve lived in Anchorage since 2001. Such a great place to call home!

And Martha,
    Good luck getting your sourdough starter going again! I have found it so valuable in the kitchen and use it for nearly all of my baking. :-)

7. Connie Fletcher says

Oh, Erin!!!! Your family is absolutely adorable!!!! AND, your recipe sounds FABULOUS!!!! I can’t wait to try it, OK, so I won’t wait!! I’ll be making these today, or at least starting them. Thank you, thank you, thank you for this recipe………

8. Erin VL says

Hi Connie,
    I’d love to hear how they turn out! I’ve got a batch soaking as I type. Thanks for the family compliment. :-) Such gifts!

9. Connie Fletcher says

Erin, how far do you live from the town Sara Palin is from? My stepdaughter lives there. I just can’t think of the name of it……..getting old, I guess…….and the english muffin dough looks and smells GREAT!!!!!

10. Erin VL says

Hi Connie,
    We live about 45 minutes from Wasilla. :-) Glad you have a good start on your muffins. Mine turned out delish! Had them with lentil stew tonight. :-)

11. Connie Fletcher says

Hi Erin: First, those English Muffins!! WOW! They are fabulous!! Yummm! Second, if you’re near Wasilla, there is a hospital there. My son-in-law is on of the emergency room doctors there and my stepdaughter will have her RN in June! Oh yes, and YIPPEE I’m going to be a grandma again!

12. Kylie Thomas says

I have been wanting a sourdough english muffin (soaked) recipe for such a long time! I am SO EXCITED to try this!! Thank you so, so much for sharing! Now I can finally have something to put my eggs benedict on!

Kylie- from little New Zealand :)

13. Michelle says

Erin, you mentioned that rice flour might work in a mix. Do you think using an entirely gluten free mis (with a gluten free starter) would be successful? Wardee, I know you do a fair amount of gluten free stuff…have you ever tried gluten free sourdough? Anby suggestions?

14. Erin VL says

Connie- So glad you are enjoying your delicious english muffins! And congratulations on the coming of your new grandchild! Very exciting! :-)

Kylie- Enjoy the recipe! I would love to hear how it goes for you. An eggs benedict would be proud to sit atop this muffin, I must say! :-)

Michelle- I will let Wardee shine her gluten free wisdom here! The only thing that I will say is that the partial rice flour turned out fine for me. But if you are trying to stay away from gluten, what good is a partial… It’s definitely worth a try! :-)

15. Dani says

Oh, WOW! Wardee, can we skip to the sourdough portion of the ecourse next week!?

Just kidding… but I can’t WAIT to try these!

Michelle – I just don’t know if using a gf mix would be successful. :( I’m sorry, I wish I had some experience with gf and sourdough, but I have not done any experimenting with that.

17. Miro says

These are amazing. I made them this morning, they are so easy to make. I ate 4 on the spot, with butter they are mouth watering. Thank you for sharing this recipe its definitely going to be a regular.

18. Erin VL says

Miro and Tara- Yeah! So glad you enjoyed your muffins! I made a batch the other day with my homemade yogurt as the liquid and they were the softest most delicious muffins yet!

19. Michelle says

OK, I am going to try these gluten free. I will report on my success (or othersie!!) Just wondering how many muffins this recipe produces. You said to divide the dough into 8 portions…but there’s definitely more than 8 muffins in your photos.

Michelle – It does only make 8 muffins, at least for me. I’m pretty sure Erin has doubled (or tripled) the batch for those pictures. I really hope it works doing it gluten-free!

21. Connie Fletcher says

I have yet to make these muffins with a single batch!! They freeze so magnificently. Last batch I used my maple kefir and rye flour and I think they were the best yet. Living in Vermont I lots of maple!!

22. Erin VL says

Michelle- The batch you see in the photos is a double batch. :-) Look forward to hearing about your results!

Connie- I am so glad you are enjoying the muffins. The maple rye version sounds delicious!

23. Megan says

Maybe a silly question, but is this active, bubbly starter we’re using, or fed and rested? Thanks! Cant’ wait to try these.

Megan, that’s not silly! I personally use a bubbly, active starter for this recipe. I feed my starter and wait for it to be bubbly and domed, then I use it in this recipe.

25. Karen says

I made a double batch of these English Muffins and wow, they were the best! Thank you so much for sharing! Do you have a good sourdough recipe for pizza crust? I thought that would be good to share next. :) I am so thankful that these recipes are family tried and true!
    Blessings.

26. Erin VL says

Hi Megan- I feed my sourdough 1-2 times a day and leave it on the counter at all times. (I use it nearly every day!) So, for these muffins, I’ve made them with a happy bubbly active starter and with an I-didn’t-get-my-feeding-yet-today-and-it-shows starter. I have found that it doesn’t seem to matter because by stirring in the liquid and flour you are feeding it and allowing it to rest.

Karen- Yeah! Such joy in sharing this recipe! I am so glad you enjoyed the muffins. :-) We actually had pizza with soaked sourdough pizza crust last night! Imagine that! Next time I’ll get out my camera. Thanks for the post idea!

27. Kylie Thomas says

Well, reporting back on these muffins and they were DELICOUS! I had a few problems with the muffins sticking to the grease proof paper, next time I’ll try something different. I loved how easy these were to prepare! Mine lasted only 2 days before I had ate them all ! I enjoyed them with butter and honey which was definately my favourite, but also had them with sliced cheese on top, and as a base for a ‘tuna-melt’ These were so good I am in fact making them again tomorrow! Can’t thank you enough for this recipe!!

Just finished cooking these and ‘sampled’ one. I’m wondering why in the world I did not double (or triple) the recipe! They are delicious. Thanks so much for sharing such a great and useful recipe.
    .-= Millie @ Real Food for Less Money´s last blog post… Tuesday Twister May 11 =-.

29. Erin VL says

Yeah Kylie and Millie! Thanks for letting me know of your success! They are a surprisingly easy (and impressive) treat. So glad you enjoyed them! :-)

30. Erin VL says

Michaela, So glad you are all enjoying the muffins! I have a batch soaking right now. I ran out of milk, so I am using coconut milk instead. We’ll see how that tastes! :-)

31. Jade says

Just curious, two questions:

1. When you say “soaking,” do you mean “proofing?” I just want to make sure because I’m still new to sourdough baking.

2. Have you tried baking sooner than 24 hours? What is the temperature in your kitchen? I’m wondering if the proofing time will be quicker in warmer climates….

Last, that pic of your family sure is darling! “A picture is worth a thousand words” comes to mind…makes my mouth water at the thought of eating your muffins I will be trying out to day.

Jade –

1. By soaking, this is the time when the starter is mixed with the flour and the mixture sours or ferments — I would call this souring or the sponge. Proofing more refers to the time for bread to rise. The dough rises during this time, but that’s not its purpose. I hope this makes sense.

2. I have made these muffins after 8 hours of souring. The range is flexible – in warmer temperatures, the souring will occur more quickly, so you would be fine to cook them earlier.

I’m sure Erin will have more to add. :)

32. Erin VL says

Hi Jade! So glad you are going to give the english muffins a try.
    These muffins are incredibly flexible depending on your situation (time and weather!).
    Let us know if you have any more questions! And, I’d love to hear how your muffins turn out.
    Thanks for the family compliment. Such encouraging little taste testers! :-)

Is there anyway I can bake these instead of fry? I’m having problems and I don’t like how they are turning out. :( They taste great! But not cooking properly.
    .-= Marg´s last blog post… Meeting neighbours =-.

34. Erin VL says

Marg- Thanks so much for writing. I’d love to know what is not working for you. Is the dough too sticky? Do they not rise in the pan? Let me know, and we will try to figure something out. I made a batch last night (in hot California) that turned out very different from the batches I make at home (in not hot Alaska). Everything was different. Do you live somewhere very warm? What kind of flours did you use (to feed your starter and make your muffins)? I look forward to hearing back from you! :-)

Well, certainly not as complicated as that. :) I went ahead and baked them. They turned out more evenly cooked and less burnt. I guess I’m just not used to this kind of dough and wouldn’t have thought to fry it. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks but I’m trying. I just wish the results were more encouraging.

Marg, I have really had to play with my temperature and stove to get it just right. I keep my big burner at about 4 to 4.5 and my small burner at 4.5 to 5. I end up cooking 4 minutes on at least the first side of each muffin, perhaps 2 to 3 on the second side. And I use a cover on each pan to keep the heat in. It bakes them while they’re browning/frying. It isn’t hard, it is just a matter of playing with your situation to get it working. But if baking works for you, that’s good too!

36. Erin VL says

Marg- Glad baking worked for you. Without knowing exactly what’s going wrong, I wonder if it would help to turn the heat down a little bit, check them after a short time if you think they are getting too dark, and flip gently so as not to loose any rise. Keep me posted, OK? :-) And, be sure to let me know if you have any more thoughts or questions.

37. Michelle says

Ok, I am long overdue in posting how my gf free muffins worked. I have been waiting for a RESOUNDING success story, which I haven’t really reached yet. But I will post where I have gotten to and perhaps someone with more experience in gluten free baking and sourdough baking can take it from here!

The good news is that, yes, it works! If you don’t have a GF Sourdough Starter, the best information I found for starting one comes from a lady names Sharon Kane. She has a number of different websites, but a good summary of her info iand how to make the starter s on the Weston a Price site at this link:http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/1668-gluten-free-sourdough-starters.html

Sharon also has several e-books with her recipes. I am trying to figure things out on my won as I can’t afford all the recipe books I would like!! If you can get it I would because GF and allergen free baking can be so fussy!!

Anyhow using this starter I have made several batches of these with different flour mixes. So far I can’t quite get the combination right of good taste AND good texture. I have done these all with coconut milk as my liquid. I have found a thicker starter is more effective, so the last feeding I try to do a little less water than I normally would, so it is nice and thick. I did all of these mixes in equal proportions (1/2 c each type of flour) except where indicated. I did these in my covered skillet at 250 degrees. I needed at least 10 minutes per side.

* Buckwheat, rice, arrowroot, chickpea….perfect texture but the taste…..I find Buckwheat (I use the dark) is very strong tasting and only works in some things….this was not one of them. Keep on going.
    * Rice, Arrowroot, Rolled Oats, Coconut. Really nice mild flavor but quite crumbly. I used dessciated coconut without running it through food processor to make it flour, so I used 3/4 c where I would normally use 1/2.
    Rice, Arrowroot, Rolled Qunioa, Rolled Oats….Good flavor but even more crumbly than the last batch.

(I also did a batch with teff that tasted horrible, but I think I allowed my starter to get too sour. As I said I am new to all this.)

Anyhow, hopefully this info is helpful to some other brave soul who can give it a try!! hanks Erin for the recipe and motivation to give it a try.

Thanks, Michelle! I have heard good things about Sharon, so it is good to hear that you’re using some of her methods and making progress. I know this is going to be helpful for some – thanks!

38. Erin VL says

Michelle- What a wonderfully informative response! Thank you for taking the time to write!
    I’m sure many will find the link helpful. Thanks for passing that on. And I must say, you get an A+ for effort and persistence! :-)

I also agree with you wholeheartedly concerning the thickness of the sourdough starter making a difference. I just recently made a batch of english muffins in the oh-so-hot location of southern CA. Because of the heat, my starter was runnier than normal (even though I fed it the same), and for the first time, I had to add flour (AP) to my muffin dough. I felt like I was kneading stretchy mozzarella cheese (if that makes sense). Mercy! I realized I need to feed the starter more flour and less water to get the consistency I am used to having when I am home in my not-so-hot state of AK. Good learning experience!

Has anyone else tried a GF sourdough starter or experimented with other GF flour blends? If so, do share! Let’s be the first to perfect a GF sourdough english muffin
    recipe! :-)

Thanks for the help. I’m sure the dough was fine, just not what I’m used to. Sourdough has proved to be a huge learning curve for me. I kept turning the stove down and down. It was on 2 and still making them too dark. I didn’t mean to cause this much fuss. I just wanted to know if they could be baked, I thought that might be a solution to my problem, and I discovered that. Sorry for bothering. :)

40. Erin VL says

Marg- You are funny! Absolutely no bother at all. Fun to brainstorm with you. I’m glad you asked your question as I’m sure others found it helpful. Plus, I appreciate knowing how the recipe works for those who give it a try. Really. :-)

Hi! So, I just made these today. And I love them. But I have questions for next time!

1. My dough was extremely wet – I put oil on my counter & hands and the dough was *still* sticking to everything. I did my best, though, & when the dough was ready to be cut, I found that cutting it didn’t even make a difference because it all just kind of melted back into itself. In the end, I just pulled pieces off and rolled them in flour in my hand (but even then, I had to be quick because they kept sticking to me!). So…my question: to avoid this problem in the future, should I use less liquid (or more flour) in the first step of the recipe? Or do you have another suggestion?

2. Due to the wet dough, it was really difficult to transfer the muffins (after they rested for an hour) to my skillet. Actually, I ended up ripping the wax paper around each muffin, and attempted to gently flip it over onto the skillet, and then peeled the wax paper from the upward-facing part of each muffin. (Does that make sense?) Because of this, my muffins were really lopsided. Some parts were thicker than others, and so they didn’t cook evenly (some of the insides were doughy while other parts were soft, springy and very English-muffiny). How do *you* transfer your muffins from their resting place to the skillet/griddle?

Sorry if my questions are super complicated. I just *really* want to master this. I only got my sourdough starter last week, and these muffins were the second thing I’ve made (after my first batch of bread which was UH-may-zing!). I will for sure be making the muffins again next week because my mom will be visiting us! :) Thanks for your help!

Mama Rissa – I’d suggest adding more flour. I noticed that in the winter, I used just about 2 cups of flour for this recipe. In warmer weather, the dough is much more wet. So I’ve been adding at least 2-1/2 cups when mixing up the dough – and perhaps more when shaping. I think just that will improve your experience with the muffins dramatically! I’d like to hear more about your Uh-may-zing bread. :)

42. Erin says

Mama Rissa- I definitely agree with Wardee on this one! I made the muffins with my sister in CA and ended up with a significantly wetter dough than when I make them in Alaska! I should make a note in the recipe. So, I would do as Wardee recommended. Use more flour initially, and that should make the rest of the process much less complicated. I’m so glad you are willing to give it another try! I am confident that the end result will be well worth your time and effort. And, I’d love to hear about your bread! :-)

43. Angela says

Can I make this recipe without sourdough but using the soaking method? How should I alter the recipe?

Angela – That’s a good question. It would take some trial and error to get the consistency right. What I would do at first (to get the consistency right) is mix equal parts flour and water. Use 1/2 cup of that in place of the starter. (Eventually you could figure out just how much flour and water are needed to make 1/2 cup – and just use those amounts.) Then add the milk and flour. Add 1 tablespoon of acid per cup of milk. Then let the soaking happen. Then proceed with the recipe. You might need to add about a 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, too. The baking soda reacts with the sourdough starter to puff nicely. Lacking sourdough starter you might need to mimic this with baking powder. During summer months, you’ll need more flour in this recipe. Have fun and let us know!

44. Terri says

These were awesome!!!!!! I did end up adding about 1 cup of flour to stiffen up the batter so I could work with it. They are light and fluffy and have an excellent flavor. I used spelt flour.

Erin – I LOVED these! Thank you so much. I think I might have a problem with baking powder (some kind of sensitivity and yes, I get the aluminum free one). Do you think these would rise as well with baking soda?

Thank you again. Wonderful recipe!

Wardee & Erin,

Thanks for getting back to me! I’m going to try making the muffins again tomorrow, I think. I’ll add more flour and I’ll let you know what happens! :)

As for my uh-may-zing (hehe) bread – well, I used the recipe that came with my starter (from King Arthur – the recipe was for an extra-tangy sourdough) and it turned out reaaaallly well the first time. The second and third time, I liked it okay, but I decided that the tang was a bit overwhelming, especially when I was sharing my bread with company (non-traditional food eaters don’t necessarily always love that sour flavor!). The recipe had me proofing the bread for a really, really, really long time. SO, I tried your recipe, Wardee! And we LOVED it! It was much more mild than the previous recipe, but still tangy enough to please us! So…now that’s the recipe for my *new* UH-MAY-ZING bread. ;)

I have truly always wanted a recipe for these. Sourdough is my favorite english muffin! I like onion or ‘everything’ bagels but i would so love sourdough too, with the real stuff that is, I am sure!

Oh my, how embarrassing! I just realized the recipe does not call for baking powder, rather baking SODA. Ignore that earlier post of mine referring to the baking powder. Whoops…

I am going to make these again tomorrow. I believe I am going to be hooked on them once I get the right cooking time down.

Thanks again for the recipe Erin!

Maureen

49. Erin says

Terri- So glad you enjoyed the muffins! I think with the summer heat, most of us will have to add a little more flour to the dough. And I’m not sure when you added the extra flour, but it’s best to add it before the dough sours. :-)

Maureen- I’d love to hear how your second attempt goes! So glad I didn’t type up the recipe wrong! :-) For a moment there, I thought I put powder! :-)

Mama Rissa- Yeah! So glad you enjoy the muffins! Thanks for letting me know. :-)

Teri- Sourdough bagels are one of the next things on my list to conquer! Hope you enjoy the muffins. They truly are a treat! :-)

50. Mandy says

I made these today and my family loved them! Yay! My husband said he would be happy to have these every morning! He was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease and we have been on an amazing journey to find foods he can eat that will provide nutrients without aggravating his symptoms. This website has been a tremendous blessing. Thank you! God bless you for what you are doing.

51. Erin says

Mandy- Oh, how wonderful! I am so glad you all find these english muffins a blessing! I’ve not updated this post yet, but I want you to know, if your dough seems too sticky, feel free to add a bit more than 2 cups of flour at the beginning. It works with a very wet dough and a drier dough. Sometimes adding more than 2 cups initially makes kneading after souring easier! Enjoy, enjoy!

52. Carrie says

These were SO good! We used spelt flour and raw goat’s milk and honey (yep, the cheap Wal-mart kind…) and ended up having to add quite a bit of sprouted kamut flour after souring since the dough was really sticky and wet. But… that might have to do with me letting it sour for umm.. 29 hours or so? :) Such is life when you work 12 hr night shifts and you try to do too much in the hour before/after work. But I was still so pleased that these turned out! My husband actually cooked them up on our cast iron skillet for me while I slept the other day :) I brought one to work last night and toasted it and then heated it up in our little “pizza oven” (since we don’t have a toaster oven at work and I hate using the microwave) with some roasted chicken and a slice of cheddar cheese and OH YUM! Did I say yum enough? Ok, sorry, it’s my time for bed, I am a little kooky after working last night!

• Erin says

Hi Carrie- I should update my post. You will end up using different amounts of flour depending on what kind of flour you choose to use! I am glad your english muffins turned out for you. Next time you make them, try adding more flour for the initial souring time. Look for a somewhat sticky dough, but not wet. After the souring, it should be much easier to knead. So glad you enjoyed them! :-)

53. Ralph Maston says

I Googled Tef Flour and your article came up due to your mentioning of Tef flour. I lived in Ethiopia (Eritrea actually) and I loved the injera bread and I am trying to find some Tef flour so I can make some to go along with my Zigni. My question to you is this; Is there some place where I might buy some of this flour locally in Anchorage or even the surrounding area? Any help you can give me would be most appreciated. Thank you

• Dani says

I think you can buy almost anything on Amazon, and amazingly, tef flour also came up. When I am unable to find things locally, I always go to the internet–and have often founds things are much less expensive when mail-ordered than are available locally anyway! I don’t know if Azure Standard delivers up where you are (they barely deliver here in Colorado, and charge more than our tax rate as a “shipping surcharge,”), but even if they do, you have to place a pretty big order to avoid extra fees.

54. Erin says

Hi Ralph- Sorry I didn’t see your comment sooner! I would’ve recommended Natural Pantry. Just returned home from there actually! Enjoy your injera bread! :-)

55. Michele H says

I made these today to help use up some starter – never made English muffins before and can’t remember when I last had one.
    Now, my dough did wind up being WAAAY TOO WET – I added about another cup of flour while kneading – I use Dakota Maid stone ground whole wheat, and added some whole golden flaxseeds as a mix in.
    Hubby just loved them – the batch may or may not make it till Saturday morning and there are only two of us!

I made this recipe exactly as written, with rice milk and about 3 gracious tablespoons of flax, and it was WONDERFUL! It is actually the first thing I have made from my sourdough starter that I liked. My family loved them! Big hit here. So thank you for this blessing of a recipe. Thanks for sharing :)
    Take care,
    Mary

57. Erin says

Hi Mary! I’m so glad they worked out for you and your family! On to your next sourdough adventure! What will it be? :-)

58. Shannon says

Erin, Just wanted to say thank you for the recipe. We love it! I am new to sourdough and decided to feed my starter daily, instead of putting it in the fridge and feeding weekly. I read that you do too. What do you typically do with your excess starter? Just looking for some suggestions.

59. Erin says

Hi Shannon- So glad you enjoy the english muffin recipe! Thanks for letting me know. As far as what I do with my starter? Tortillas, pancakes, cake, muffins, crackers, cookies, bread, crepes, cinnamon rolls and gingerbread… Such fun! You should check out the GNOWFGLINS Sourdough E-course! Wardee and I had such a great time making it, and the recipes for each of those treats (plus more) are included. Let us know if you have any questions. Enjoy your starter! :-)

Along these lines, I have a question too. So, where the blog recipes differ slightly from the Sourdough A to Z e-book, which one is best to use? Are the e-book ones the “final” version?

• Erin says

Hi Mindy- Yes, I’d say the directions in the e-book would be the easiest ones to follow. Both work, but one has been tweaked a bit. I should update the post on Wardee’s blog! Thanks for the reminder!

60. jan says

I just made these using sprouted whole wheat flour and a whole wheat sourdough and they are absolutely amazing and wonderful and may well become my new favorite food. They were so quick and easy, too. When I have a little more time I’m going to sign up for your e-course because you are now my sourdough goddess!

61. Erin says

Hi Jan- Thanks for your comment! So glad the english muffins worked out for you. I’m eating one right now as I type your note. Delish! We look forward to seeing you in the e-course. :-)

62. Melissa says

I just made these and they turned out great! I only just started my sourdough starter a little over a week ago. I did let them sour for about 18 hours because I got busy and they are a little sour for my family. I love them though and I think my family will get more used to the sour taste as I use it more. Next time I will cook after 8-12 hours of souring to be on the safe side.

63. Leah says

I made these over the weekend, and they turned out great! My husband loves them (I am gluten free at the moment).

I was confused, though, because I made them using the recipe in the sourdough A to Z book, which seems to skip the second resting step. In the e-book, the recipe goes straight from mixing in the baking soda/salt/honey to cook them on the griddle. But the online version contains a second rest/rise.

Mine turned out fine, but I wondered if there’s a reason the book version is different.

• Erin says

Hi Leah- Both methods work. I prefer the e-book method now because it works just as well and saves time! I’ve got to update the blog post. I’m glad you asked about it, and I’m glad your husband enjoyed the english muffins! :-)

• Leah says

Thanks for responding, Erin! That’s very helpful. I’ve had to freeze the extras so that he won’t eat them all in a day! That man loves his sourdough, I guess. I had fun making them, even though I can’t eat them right now.

64. annalise says

Any suggestions on how to bake them without a cast iron skillet or stove top griddle? Can I make them in a reg. old saucepan? Or, do you suggest I try to bake them. . . . I want them to get that ‘English Muffin’ top to them, ad I suppose baking them in the oven will not give you that. I hope to start soaking them tonight! =) thanks!

65. Erin says

Hi Annalise- I would go ahead and try putting them on whatever skillet you have available. If you think the muffins might stick, you could lightly grease them before hand. Members of the forum have also had success baking them. If you find they are cooking unevenly, you could try covering the frying pan with a lid. Let us know if you have any more questions, and we’d love to hear how they turn out! :-)

66. Connie Fletcher says

Erin, it’s just a little over a year now since you gave us this recipe, and I’ve made them several times a month since. Thank you so very much for this recipe. I’m in Vermont but will be visiting in your neck of the woods, as my daughter lives in Wasilla……..My family and friends also appreciate the recipe for the English Muffins, and I’ve passed it on to some of my friends. I’ve found that when I use a fermented (kefir) milk product, the muffins get more “rise” on the griddle………just thought I would mention that………
    In Him,
    Connie

67. Erin says

Thank you Connie for you kind comment! I am so glad you enjoy the muffins, and thank you for the kefir tip. I just love the flexibleness of the recipe! :-) Have a great time in Alaska!

• Connie Fletcher says

Hi Erin!!!

Well, it’s been awhile since I got this wonderful recipe of yours, and my friends and family STILL love it!! I’m making them again this morning!!! Just to let you know…we DID end up visiting Alaska….and OH MY!!! I have NEVER seen such magnificent beauty!! My middle step daughter noted that there are a significant number of churches in Alaska and she couldn’t figure out how that could be. I noted that as well, but I also noted that (and I’m quite sure of this) God must live in Alaska……it’s soooooo beautiful…..so no wonder folks have so many churches!!! They get it!! He’s all around them!!!

If I were younger, I would move to Alaska in a New York minute!!!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe and your wonderful state!!

Blessings,
      Connie Fletcher

• Erin says

Hi Connie- Thank you for your note this morning! I am so glad you enjoyed your time in Alaska. You are right, there is much beauty to be seen up here. I feel very fortunate to be surrounded by it every day. It’s been the clouds lately that have had me singing praises to our awesome Creator! And, I’m glad to hear about the english muffins. I still make them weekly as well. :-) Thanks again Connie!

• Connie Fletcher says

I’ve got to say, I love, love, love Vermont…but Alaska had my heart screaming out praises to our Awesome Creator!!!! It still amazes me at just HOW awesome our Creator is……and I look forward to singing praises with you at my side in Heaven!!! I know this probably sounds pretty nerdy…but in my immedate circle, I am the only Christian, so when I get to talk (or write) to another Believer…I can get kinda carried away. I hope you understand……and God Bless you girl, and your adorable family.i

68. Nicole says

Is there anyway to make the dough, form the muffins, let it rise and put them in the fridge to make later?

69. Erin says

Hi Nicole- You’ve reminded me that I need to update this post! The easiest way to make these would be to sour the dough over night and then add the rest of the ingredients, knead to combine, shape and place on the fry pan. I no longer give them the rest time in between shaping and griddling. You may, but it’s not necessary. The baking soda helps give the muffins a nice rise so to add it early on and let them sit… I just don’t think that’s a good idea. Does it help you to know you don’t need to let them rest before cooking? I know the english muffins have also been successful with the refrigerated bucket dough method. It’s covered in the sourdough e-course, if you are interested! :-) Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks!

70. Katje Cleary-James says

Ok first off we live in AZ….second I added more flour…and third…no matter what I tried they would not cook on the inside….am so disappointed …so I need a bit of brainstorming here so that when I try them again they are as good as everyone else’s. In the interim I will be sitting here crying cause I was so very hungry for a good english muffin

• Erin says

Hi Katje- Here are some things to try… You could turn down the heat of your griddle a little bit. You could try covering them with a lid as they cook. You could try using a bit more of a wet dough the next time. I also find that letting them cool completely before eating gives them a chance to finish up on the inside. If you cut into them shortly after cooking, they may seem a bit doughier on the inside. So, if I do that, I usually toast them first… even though they are already warm inside. Let me know how your next attempt goes. What kind of flour did you use by the way?

Just made my first batch, need to get the hang of flipping them carefully as one or two are a bit lopsided, but they are DELICIOUS! In fact there is still a batch finishing off in the oven as I type.

72. Alice Magleby says

My family loves the sourdough english muffins. So the last time I was making english muffins and crackers at the same time plus talking to a friend, I added the herbs for the crackers to the english muffins. What a great surprise! Herbed english muffins are great with morning eggs and make great open faced grilled cheese muffins.
    Thanks for offering the sourdough course, Alice

I have these soaking right now using a mixture of whole spelt flour and whole wheat flour and using home-cultured kefir as the liquid. I have been wanting to try using my sourdough starter and my kefir together in a recipe but I wasn’t sure if the two different kinds of cultures would somehow react with eachother. But, since your recipe specifically said cultured milk, I thought I’d give it a whirl. I plan to cook them tomorrow morning after they’ve soaked all night :) Thanks for the great recipe!

This was the first time I’ve made English muffins and I love the flavor of the sourdough I have right now…these were great! And, I was hoping for an enclosed breakfast or to-go sandwich. So I flattened these into oblong shapes and filled them with cooked sausage, spinach, crushed hard boiled egg, feta, and tomato sauce, folded them and pinched the edges to seal–calzones! But they would be perfect all the ways you use English muffins, Wardee, and for egg, cheddar, ham, etc. etc. Thank you!

• Erin says

Hi Sandi- What a great idea! Glad you enjoyed the english muffins! I’m going to have to give the calzone idea a try. :-)

I had GREAT success with these -and my starter is less than a week old! Many thanks for the recipe :) I cooked mine in a regular frying pan, and used a 50/50 mix of white and wheat flour. My preference is to bake only with wheat, but why waste white flour that I already have? The next batch will be 100% wheat or a wheat/spelt mix. Alternative flours here in Germany are extremely easy to find and very inexpensive (organic spelt flour is available in bargain grocery stores in my area for just 10 cents more than whole wheat!). What a blessing to have all these ingredients so readily available!

• Erin says

Hi Emma- Thanks so much for your comment! I’m so glad you enjoy the english muffins. :-) And yes, what a blessing to have these ingredients so readily available to you. Wonderful!

76. MerryannC says

I USED SPROUTED WHEAT FLOUR, plus 2 tablespoons ground flax seed – NO Sourdough STARTER– Instead of starter, I used 1 and 1/2 cups kefir, (the extra 1/2 C kefir replaced the milk) AND THIS WORKED! Additionally, I used Stevia, no honey…. what a blessing to share with my family! THOUGH, it was waaay tooo liquid, so it was mandatory that I add about one-half cup more sprouted flour during the final kneading process — still so thin, they would not hold a shape. I would think that was too thin. They were the consistency of a pudding. I cooked them anyway on my beloved cast iron skillet(s), and YUMMY!
    I wonder if this would work as a loaf-bread, baked in the oven?! I’m gunna try it. :o) Thank you for the wonderful recipe. I am growing wheat grass now, and just ground up more sprouted wheat grains into flour. I hope to start another batch of these delicious sourdough muffins tonight. Great, Easy recipe.
    Please advise on the thinness of my dough.

• Erin says

Hi Merryann- Glad you and your family are enjoying the muffins. My advice concerning the thinness of your dough? I’d say add more flour or cut down on the liquid. Maybe leave out the extra 1/2 cup of kefir. Add only as much as you need after that initial 1 cup. Or, add flour until it is a consistency that works for you. Enjoy and thanks for the comment!

I should have read the comments section before I made these. My dough was very wet and I was able to work with it only because of the oil on the counter. I had to wet my hands to pick them up off the mat, because I didn’t read here about skipping the rising step either. I also had trouble with the heat. I think my stove cooks hot. I had my cast iron skillet down to 2 on one burner and they were still burning by 2 1/2 minutes! I may try my electric griddle next time.

I’m not giving up. I’m sure these will get eaten anyway knowing my boys. I was just so excited to find something to make with my starter. I finally got one to work and I just keep feeding it, waiting for a great recipe to use it with. I will add more flour next time, skip rising, and start on a really low heat.

Thanks for the recipe. The freebies are nice for those of us who can’t afford the e-course!

78. Steph says

These turned out SO GOOD!! This was actually my st sourdough endeavor, and I am glad I started with this-very little work by me & such wonderful results! My kids & husband love them–I am making mini-pizzas with them now! I don’t know if this batch can be doubled, but next time I am definitely going to make more than batch because 8 muffins is definitely not enough for our family!! :)Thanks for such clear directions that even a beginner can follow! :)

• Erin says

Hi Steph- Oh yeah! I am so glad you found the directions clear and enjoyed your results! The recipe can most definitely be doubled (or even more). Just keep in mind your preferred consistency and all should work fine. For quite some time I have eliminated the resting period. Now, after letting the dough sour and after kneading in the 3 ingredients, I let the dough rest for a few minutes on the counter and jump straight into forming my muffins on the griddle top. Works great. One of these days I am hoping to update the post. Soon, soon! Thanks for your comment!

79. Sonia says

Tried these for the first time today and they were wonderful! I needed to add a lot more flour after the initial soak, I’ll know for next time though to add more at the beginning. Thanks for such a yummy recipe!

I’ve been following the recipe from kjknits on thefreshloaf.com, and am trying this wet dough method to see the differences in my results (aside from not using up all my flour!).

Yesterday’s muffins started going in the skillet just as my boyfriend’s brother showed up (exceptional timing)–he loved them; more importantly, because of his exceptionally refined taste buds, the few crumbs I fed to Sampson (my beloved duck) turned him into an instant fan. The rest of my last batch just went out the door as a birthday present, and this morning I got a request for muffins “with holes in them” from my mother’s friend. These are getting quite popular. I’m excited to see how this “wet batch” turns out.

Thanks so much,
    Jennie Alice

81. Lisa says

Erin, thank you for this recipe (and thank you Wardeh for posting it!) I love the versatility of this recipe. I’ve been making yeasted gluten free English muffins entirely from home-sprouted and ground gf grains for a while now, and Ithey were spectacularly delicious. The problem was that they were SO time consuming, and over the summer, my sprouts were molding, I guess from the high humidity. So after a week of fooling around with babying the sprouts, we were left with mold, and know bread/English muffins. I have four children 5 and under, and I don’t have time to mess with a recipe for a week and not have an end product. I was reading the benefits of sourdough and was able to make my own starter from cabbage leaves and gluten free grains. I can’t believe how easy these muffins are. I mix them up the night before and sour them in the dehydrator (I’ve been reading that the higher heat really reduces phytates) and we have English muffins the next day! I changed it up a little…I use all GF grains (sorghum, brown rice, millet, etc), added an egg when I add the soda, etc, and I bake mine in the oven in English muffin rings that I already had. I’ve also added cinnamon and raisins. My babies love, love, love them. Even my in-laws who eat SAD, thought they were tasty! Thanks so much for contributing to the easy nourishing feeding of my family!

• Erin says

Hi Lisa- I am so glad you and your family are enjoying the english muffins! I love how you tweaked them to fit your needs. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm. You brought me a smile this morning! :-)

82. Adar says

Wow!!! These are super easy and SO incredibly awesome. Thank you for this recipe. It’s nice to find a bread recipe that is made out of sourdough, thus making it SO much healthier than any other bread product, AND being a husband-who-loves-his-bread favorite. Please continue to share other such recipes. It’s a challenge to make both healthy, nutritious and tasty foods for our spouses and families. Thanks again.

83. Ashley says

Oh my gosh! these were delicious! my family loves them!! my first try at soaking flour for baking. excellent!

• Erin VL says

yeah ashley! so glad you and your family are lovin’ the english muffins! thanks for your comment this morning. :-)

84. lexee says

any chance this blog post will be updated to omit the rest period? :)

before i read the comments, i saved my too wet dough (it was more like batter) by spooning it directly onto my heated cast iron pan. i didn’t have sprouted flour and didn’t want to add any without it being soured. the muffins still turned out beautifully! and saved even more time (and mess!) by not having to knead, shape, or use my hands and oil.

this recipe really is adaptable. it’s definitely one of our favorite things to make with sourdough. i used rye flour and added poppyseeds, dehydrated garlic pieces, and granulated onion – yum!

thanks for sharing!

• Erin VL says

Hi there Lexee- So glad you’ve discovered the flexibility of this recipe! Just love it! And thanks for the gentle reminder and the friendly smile after. :-) Yes, for some time I’ve been wanting to update this post. Now maybe I’ll actually get to it! Enjoy your sourdough!

1. [...] Erin’s Sourdough English Muffins – Oh, yeah! Have you made the English muffins yet? You should! They’re amazing. Our weekend batch became the bread of several types of sandwiches, including wild salmon and hamburgers. So good to have lacto-fermented mayonnaise on them! Now, today, I must make more mayonnaise. Oh, and more English muffins! [...]

2. [...] English muffins that I made the other night (using my new buddy, the sourdough starter) to make salmon melts.  We don’t eat a lot of fish around here (because I’m not a huge fan) but it’s so good for you, so I tried it. Ezekiel’s words, “Ewwww…is this tuna!? Gross!”  Sam liked them.  Judah ate it until he saw Ezekiel’s production.  I on the other hand, well…I got it down…but don’t think I’ll be making them again.  But the extra english muffins were really good for breakfast the next morning. [...]

3. [...] One of my goals this week is to get back into soaking my grains before using them in baked goods, or using my sourdough starter to make something. Then, I found this supposedly super simple sourdough English muffins. [...]

4. [...] also have the sourdough A-Z ebook from gnowfglins, which has some great recipes including these sourdough English muffins . Everything has been so good! Getting used to caring for a starter takes some time, but I have it [...]